Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:25:35 pm

Author Topic: Old Marking Rules  (Read 63005 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Re: Old Marking Rules
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2017, 10:51:00 am »
As mentioned, the English marking threads were locked last night, and Elyse and I will only be able to provide detailed feedback on essays posted up to this point. However, everyone should keep posting their responses in the Marking Section, swapping feedback and collaborating - We'll chime in with brief comments when/if we can ;D

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2017, 04:40:33 pm »
Hi there, since the HSC eng exam is over is the post requirement still 50?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2017, 05:21:27 pm »
Hi there, since the HSC eng exam is over is the post requirement still 50?

It will be 50 until the end of the last HSC exam, which is on Tuesday (purely for fairness) ;D

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2017, 08:14:07 pm »
Oh okay cool :) How many posts are needed after tuesday? :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2017, 04:32:08 pm »
- With the 2017 HSC concluded, the old marking threads have been archived. You can browse the archives right here. All future feedback will be given in this new marking section!
- The post requirement has been shifted back to 30 posts now that the HSC is concluded as well!

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2017, 09:11:07 am »
Idk where i'd be tbh without ATARNotes  :-\

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2017, 08:58:06 pm »
Hey! Just wondering, do I have enough posts to get an essay marked?
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2017, 12:25:49 am »
Hello~

If I have accumulated enough posts, is it possible for someone to mark my creative please? It's not exactly done and I'm honestly struggling. Its sorta a mix of hopefully descriptions (although they're most likely telling rather than showing) and jumbled together. Any ways to make this story more sophisticated? Thank you to whoever marks this!!

I'm going to split this into its own topic and provide you a link, you've got enough posts so we'll definitely get you some feedback there! ;D

Edit: The new topic! :)

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2018, 03:10:43 pm »
Afternoon! I have constructed a draft discover essay assessment introduction, and was hoping to receive any feedback! Please give as many pointers as possible! The question is ' ''Catalysts to discovery may be unplanned, but the consequences are unplanned. Do you agree?'' Evaluate the Prescribed Text and one Other Related Text to support your viewpoint.'

- Driven by the unknown, discoveries become most meaningful when underpinned with emotional involvement and erudite understanding. These elements work to intensify individual experiences amidst changes of environment and the imposition of the unfamiliar. The catalysts to such discoveries may be planned, as observed in Ivan Mahoney’s multimedia ‘Go Back To Where You Came From’, or unplanned and serendipitous, as seen in Kate Chopin’s short story, ‘The Story of an Hour’. Yet despite personal foresight and assumption, the consequences of discovery remain perpetually unplanned, bearing the potential to be far-reaching and deeply transformative of one’s perspective.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:59:49 pm by Caleb Campion »

samuel.reckling

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2018, 06:38:58 pm »
Hi, when you say 5 posts, firstly, does that mean 5 posts answering other peoples essay questions and queeries, and secondly, where do I find these to start posting?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2018, 06:53:40 pm »
Afternoon! I have constructed a draft discover essay assessment introduction, and was hoping to receive any feedback! Please give as many pointers as possible! The question is ' ''Catalysts to discovery may be unplanned, but the consequences are unplanned. Do you agree?'' Evaluate the Prescribed Text and one Other Related Text to support your viewpoint.'

- Driven by the unknown, discoveries become most meaningful when underpinned with emotional involvement and erudite understanding. These elements work to intensify individual experiences amidst changes of environment and the imposition of the unfamiliar. The catalysts to such discoveries may be planned, as observed in Ivan Mahoney’s multimedia ‘Go Back To Where You Came From’, or unplanned and serendipitous, as seen in Kate Chopin’s short story, ‘The Story of an Hour’. Yet despite personal foresight and assumption, the consequences of discovery remain perpetually unplanned, bearing the potential to be far-reaching and deeply transformative of one’s perspective.

hi! i wish i could mark this, but i'm awful at english, ahaha. for introductions and thesis stuff, post them here.

Hi, when you say 5 posts, firstly, does that mean 5 posts answering other peoples essay questions and queeries, and secondly, where do I find these to start posting?

hi, welcome to the forums!

if you scroll up a little in this thread, the post requirement is 30 posts. these posts just have to have substance, so that can include asking/answering questions, commenting on people's journals, etc. as for finding stuff, i just tried looking for the subject board i moderate, and i couldn't find it 😂😅
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2018, 10:46:21 pm »
Driven by the unknown, discoveries become most meaningful when underpinned with emotional involvement and erudite understanding. These elements work to intensify individual experiences amidst changes of environment and the imposition of the unfamiliar. The catalysts to such discoveries may be planned, as observed in Ivan Mahoney’s multimedia ‘Go Back To Where You Came From’, or unplanned and serendipitous, as seen in Kate Chopin’s short story, ‘The Story of an Hour’. Yet despite personal foresight and assumption, the consequences of discovery remain perpetually unplanned, bearing the potential to be far-reaching and deeply transformative of one’s perspective.

I really like this introduction Caleb! The Thesis is clear and articulate, and you introduce the texts in a way that only makes it stronger. Good stuff! :)

alisoneom

• Trailblazer
  • I set Lisa as my dp to appear a lot smarter
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2018, 08:54:44 pm »
A quick question about marking times - if I post my creative around tomorrow or Thursday, when can I expect to get feedback (both forum members and moderator / admins)? Also if a forum member gives me feedback on my work, can I still get feedback from moderators?  :D
HSC 2018:
English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Chemistry | Studies of Religion 1 | Music 2 | Music Extension

ATAR Goal: 98+

Dream Course:
- B Science / B Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) @ USYD
- B Pharmacy and Management @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2018, 08:58:25 pm »
A quick question about marking times - if I post my creative around tomorrow or Thursday, when can I expect to get feedback (both forum members and moderator / admins)? Also if a forum member gives me feedback on my work, can I still get feedback from moderators?  :D

Probably over the weekend - I'll give it feedback by the end of the weekend if it hasn't been given feedback prior ;D

There might be changes to the marking procedure soon - Recently Elyse and I have just been trying to give a decent amount of pointers to as many people as possible, rather than spend an hour marking one piece in depth. Partly this is because almost no one has enough posts to qualify for proper marking yet, but maybe this system is better? Not sure - Stay tuned, would love to hear thoughts below if anyone has any :)

ninaacao

• Adventurer
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2018, 11:06:42 pm »
How Does This Section Work?

This section aims to be a one stop shop for feedback on any HSC response, for any subject. Be it a Creative writing piece, a Legal Studies essay, a long response for HSC Physics - You can post it here and get some feedback to help you improve it.

Let's face it - Usually the feedback we get from teachers is, well, not quite helpful. A correction of grammar here, a "More detail" there. Sometimes it is pretty clear they haven't even read the whole thing. Often we come away from the feedback with more questions that we had to begin with! And hey, if your overworked teach has 150+ posts to mark over a weekend, you can't really blame them. This section aims to rectify that feedback and supplement it with something better and more detailed.

Click here to post your response as a new topic in this board.

Use the convention: "[SUBJECT]: [ESSAY TOPIC]", for example, "English Advanced: Mod A Essay" or "English Standard: Great Gatbsy" or "Legal: Crime Essay!", or similar. Just something that makes it easy for people to see what your response is about!

Who Gives the Feedback?

Well, it's your peers! Or tutors. Or graduates. Our awesome ATAR Notes community. Anyone is welcome to give feedback on any response at any time - Ultimately every little piece of help is going to make you better. We strongly encourage everyone, no matter how "good" you think you are at a given subject, to help your peers and get help in return. Collaboration is the best way to learn!

Some of our moderators are expert markers. Literally, they've marked hundreds of responses for students over several years and helped all of them improve their marks. Our moderators will sit down with your essay for a solid half an hour, reading every line and giving you detailed comments throughout about what works, and what doesn't. We'll give you suggestions about how to improve it, and link you to any awesome resources on the site that we think will help you make the response fantastic.

This feedback has already helped hundreds of students boost their marks. Here is what one user said:

We just got our half yearly results back for our discovery paper 1 and I really just want to say thank you so much, because my discovery essay got 20/20!! Although I really did luck out with the question (It was "Discoveries can offer new understandings and renewed perceptions of ourselves and others. - Discuss" or something with that rubric line) I really wouldn't have been able to write anything to get that mark without your help!! English has been an endless struggle for me, and you've seriously really helped me.  I cried like a baby for a few minutes (let me paint you a picture - 2 classes packed into one room, me, on the floor, crying. yep.)

How do I get my essay marked by a moderator?

The detailed feedback provided by our moderators takes a long time. Thirty minutes to an hour... Hypothetically, if someone were being paid $30 an hour, that's a cost of $15 per essay, at least. That's how much you should be valuing the essay marking. It's not a 'cheap' or less valuable service just because it's free. Remember that. Our moderators like giving feedback as a just and rightful reward for those helping us grow. Our way of saying thank you.

This said, we don't have unlimited amounts of time to devote to marking, so we have a post exchange policy to make sure the most deserving members of the community get that feedback:

Every 30* posts on ATAR Notes merits you one essay/response marked by a moderator.

In other words, if you've made 150 posts, you're entitled to have five of your essays marked. If you've made 300 posts, you're entitled to 10 of your responses marked. You get the idea... Essay marking isn't just for everyone. It is for those who are a part of the community, engaging with the community and helping us make the forums a cooler and more helpful place for all :)

Note: These posts have to be real, actual contributions. It is very obvious when you are just posting the bare minimum to cheat the system, just to access this service. That's not what this is about, and people doing that ultimately take up time we could be spending marking and ruin the system for everyone else.

This is about rewarding contributions to the community - This includes asking questions, answering questions, engaging in discussion, contributing resource. Shit posts like "thanks", "haha", "wow", "this is a good one", "this is helpful" do NOT contribute, and we'll ignore those posts or delete them as necessary. 30 posts might seem like a lot, but trust us - If you get involved in discussion, it builds up faster than you'd think! :)

Once you have enough posts, to get an essay marked, just post it in this section as normal, and include a little request to have a moderator mark it! We'll let you know if you are eligible and get you feedback asap. You might even get feedback from your peers as well!

Ultimately, you guys drive this system. We want everyone to be posting their responses, everyone to be giving and receiving feedback, and the people who do that the most will accrue the required posts and be rewarded with the additional feedback from our moderators/lecturers. It's a totally community driven initiative.

What subjects have free essay marking?

You can ask for feedback for any subject you like, and hopefully one of your peers can help! If you are after feedback from a marker, we can help with:

- English Standard/Advanced
- English Extension 1
- English Extension 2
- Business Studies
- Modern History, Ancient History and History Extension
- Legal Studies
- Studies of Religion
- Visual Arts
- Drama

The old marking threads have been moved to a read only archive - Feel free to have a browse right here :)

Thanks for reading and getting involved! If you have any questions about essay marking, post them below!

Oh that seems to make sense! Thank goodness, I came across this