Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:41:02 am

Author Topic: Standard Math Q+A Thread  (Read 181134 times)  Share 

Sa1998

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
Re: General Math Q+A Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 09:42:53 pm »
+1
Heyyyy can someone please help me out with categorical and quantitative  data... I always mix them up

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 09:44:22 pm »
+3
Hi first post here.
In regards to your question Gabisperring
"Tabitha received a 17.5% holiday loading on four weeks normal wages. She normally works a 32 hr week. Her 4wks holiday pay and loading is $2 587.90.
a) Find her normal weekly pay
b) Find her normal hourly pay rate"

Firstly we need to work out how much money Tabitha would've earned without the 17.5% loading. To do this divide $2587.90 by 117.5% --  Because 100% is her normal wage and 17.5% is her loading so 117.5% are these two amounts combined -- This gives an answer of $2202.47
Divide $2202.47 by the 4 weeks that she worked. This works out her normal weekly pay which answers part a) ($550.62).
To "find her normal hourly pay rate" divide the amount she gets per week ($550.62) by the number of hours she works per week (32)
This should give you and answer of $17.21 -- this is the answer to b)
Thanks heaps for your awesome work Gregs. Great to have you on the forums, and so important/valuable to have valuable contributors such as yourself as part of the community. Tonight's been the busiest day in the NSW forum's history, so I can only assume we're going to need people dishing out great answers where they can like Gregs has done today!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 10:00:28 pm »
Heyyyy can someone please help me out with categorical and quantitative  data... I always mix them up
If my memory serves me right this is just distinguishing between data that just associates an event with a subset or a category, contrasted to where an actual number gets associated.

Feel free to put some examples up for us to use as demos.

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 10:03:35 pm »
Thanks heaps for your awesome work Gregs. Great to have you on the forums, and so important/valuable to have valuable contributors such as yourself as part of the community. Tonight's been the busiest day in the NSW forum's history, so I can only assume we're going to need people dishing out great answers where they can like Gregs has done today!

Really, wow, that must be hard for you all  :'(

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 10:08:25 pm »
+1
Really, wow, that must be hard for you all  :'(
No, this is like the most exciting day of my bloody life.

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 10:11:13 pm »
No, this is like the most exciting day of my bloody life.

I meant like how you guys have to organise lectures and such but at the same tine there are people here on the forums who need help and if you have to help out and prepare for lectures then that's going to be too much work for you all. You get what I mean?

brontem

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
  • School: Brigidine Randwick
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 10:14:52 pm »
+6

Quantitative - where a number gets assigned either:
Discrete: eg. 0, 1, 2.. out of 10
continuous: heights of a group of people which can continuously go up and up etc

Categorical - putting something in a specific category
Nominal - does not have order e.g Male or Female
Ordinal - has value/order e.g A B C D E grade system
 ;D ;D

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 10:16:57 pm »
continuous: heights of a group of people which can continuously go up and up etc

;D ;D
<3

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 10:23:26 pm »

;D ;D
Too bad I can't describe discrete and continuous in more mathematical terminology in this thread

brontem

• Forum Regular
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 10:51:14 pm »
Too bad I can't describe discrete and continuous in more mathematical terminology in this thread

Why not??

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 11:02:19 pm »
Why not??
True. Just didn't want the general guys to jump :P so I'll put in some informality.

You could say discrete data is formed out of the integers, or some finite set (because they can be corresponded to the integers or any counting numbers really). Discrete can be used to say how there's gaps, and the distinction between two consecutive (discrete) elements are quite obvious. Like you obviously skip over a load of rational numbers to get from one integer to the other.

You could say same goes for rational numbers as well, because you don't know where the next irrational number is but you know that one is obviously there.

Something continuous would be like all reals. An entire field of elements, one after the other and you really can't tell one apart. If you're on a continuous interval, you're basically mapping all the real numbers or just some closed/open interval that's a subset of R.

This is why height can be seen as continuous. You can say that you're 172cm tall but what if you're 172.9141244255231014597...cm tall

brontem

• Forum Regular
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 11:17:01 pm »
+1
True. Just didn't want the general guys to jump :P so I'll put in some informality.

You could say discrete data is formed out of the integers, or some finite set (because they can be corresponded to the integers or any counting numbers really). Discrete can be used to say how there's gaps, and the distinction between two consecutive (discrete) elements are quite obvious. Like you obviously skip over a load of rational numbers to get from one integer to the other.

You could say same goes for rational numbers as well, because you don't know where the next irrational number is but you know that one is obviously there.

Something continuous would be like all reals. An entire field of elements, one after the other and you really can't tell one apart. If you're on a continuous interval, you're basically mapping all the real numbers or just some closed/open interval that's a subset of R.

This is why height can be seen as continuous. You can say that you're 172cm tall but what if you're 172.9141244255231014597...cm tall

Rightio I get where you're coming from but thankfully this is only ever a multiple choice or 1 word answer to a question  :P :P

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 08:10:19 am »
+1
Bloody hell Rui. You even freaked ME out! See you soon mate haha :)

skysailingaway

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 01:55:42 pm »
Hai
its my first time here and so far, i'm loving the resources and support offered on this site.
concerning general maths, i have a huge problem with sitting tests~ my mind goes blank and nothing makes sense.
plus i also find the finance topic hard to understand, what type of practice should i do to make sure i don't blank out?
~ this has happened on multiple tests now and i really don't want it to happen on my trials!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 03:02:16 pm »
+1
Hai
its my first time here and so far, i'm loving the resources and support offered on this site.
concerning general maths, i have a huge problem with sitting tests~ my mind goes blank and nothing makes sense.
plus i also find the finance topic hard to understand, what type of practice should i do to make sure i don't blank out?
~ this has happened on multiple tests now and i really don't want it to happen on my trials!
With general maths, it will be much harder to find past trial papers. If you do get your hands on them however? Great.

PastHSC has a list of the questions arranged with respect to the syllabus updated 2014. My advice is to do the past papers from the older years (keeping the recent ones for your final HSC exam), and maybe one (or two) papers under exam conditions. Figure out why your mind goes blank in tests.

(If you rely on the textbook too much, there is your answer. Textbooks, whilst not being ridiculously off, will never reflect the scope of an exam.)

Ask your school for any past papers that they might have and do them. Also redo your past exams figuring out where you went wrong and what the right frame of mind is.

Regarding the finance topic, for actual questions you may struggle on just post them on here and we'll guide you through a thought process.