Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:18:30 am

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 341492 times)  Share 

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
HSC Biology Question Thread
« on: July 22, 2016, 05:06:41 pm »
+5
HSC BIOLOGY Q&A THREAD

To go straight to posts for the new syllabus, click here.

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the HSC Biology course or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask! 👌

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you. So you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

OTHER BIOLOGY RESOURCES

Original post.
Hello Bio Students, Whilst I may not be one of the ATARNotes legends, I noticed that there wasn't one of these threads in our section of the forums so I thought I'd start one up.

Basically this is a place where any of the Biology Students or Lecturers to come and place any questions that they need help with, or answered questions that you want marked or feedback on, or even just questions on the general concepts in Biology that you may need help with.

For me, I've done the core modules for Biology and I've gotten through a little bit of the Communications Option so feel free to ask me any questions regarding that. I'm currently first in my Biology class so I feel as though I can help some other people out, but feel free to prove me wrong and help others out with any questions. Looking forward to seeing these questions too

Let's get this thread rolling

Skidous
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 03:27:55 pm by jamonwindeyer »
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 09:11:13 pm »
+2
I have also done the 3 core topics and option of communication. While relatively new to atarnotes, i always strive to answer peoples questions. I am not first in bio at the moment, although i am in the top 5.
(For communication, at time of writing we had just started outcome 5- sound)

I am on a Band 5 at the moment and have past siblings notes which have gotten them a Band 6, so I am able to answer most questions.

Just whatever you do, do not be afraid to ask questions! Questions are how we improve (both the one/s answering the question as well as the asker) and there is a fair chance that someone else has that question. Wouldnt it suck to not ask a question on that one achilles heel you have for a topic and then to get an 8 marker on it? So, lets ask up and then some mods can get on here with their advice too ;D

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:14:52 pm »
Thanks guys. Have stickied it
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:14:40 pm »
Thanks Mr T-Rav and StudyBuddy, glad to have some helpers :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 07:22:47 am »
Haha no probs :).

I'll start with a question:
Treatment of water- the whole aeration to chlorination thing. I can never remember it. Is there an easy (creative?) way to remember it or do i just have to know it? Could someone also put it down below and ill try to make a mnemonic out of it or something hehe ;D

Thanks all

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 02:17:42 pm »
Haha no probs :).

I'll start with a question:
Treatment of water- the whole aeration to chlorination thing. I can never remember it. Is there an easy (creative?) way to remember it or do i just have to know it? Could someone also put it down below and ill try to make a mnemonic out of it or something hehe ;D

Thanks all

Hey StudyBuddy

It starts with the SEDIMENTATION for the water (removal of large particles) from a reservoir usually through a fine screen. Then the water given a coagulant where COAGULATION occurs in order to gather tiny particles remaining in the raw water. The coagulated dirt is known as the floc, FLOCCULATION is the gathering of this floc into larger groups. FILTRATION then occurs where water is passed through Sand and crushed coal, trapping the floc and separating it from the water. Water is then disinfected through CHLORINATION where Chloramine (Chlorine and Water) is added into the water in order to kill off any bacteria present in the water (prevents to spread of waterborne diseases like giardia and cryptosporidian). After that, depending on the encatchment area, the water goes through FLUORIDATION in which fluorine is added to the water (Teeth health of the public). Then STABILIZATION occurs in which Lime or CO2 is added to the water to correct the pH of the water before it is pumped to houses for use.
The process goes
Sedimentation
Coagulation
Flocculation
Filtration
Chlorination
Fluoridation
Stabilization
if you can make a mnemonic out of that go right ahead.

The easiest thing to do for me is to try and do a flow chart which I've attached to the post. Hope this helps out

Skidous

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 09:54:39 am »
Thanks for that :) soz i havent been on atarnotes in like 24hrs (a record :p) and im getting withdrawal symptoms.. ;D

Should Clinton Fall For Charismatic Flying Seagulls :D
(A suitable one for the forums  ;))
I might exclude chorination and just remember that individually coz then its ffs :) or i might make it ff cakes :p

SCruFFy CaFeS also works (wtf?)

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 12:24:52 pm »
Yep that sounds good, pretty easy way to memorise that

dtinaa

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: MMCC
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 02:55:20 pm »
Does anyone understand what refraction of light has to do with myopia and hyperopia??

HighTide

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Sink or swim
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 03:07:43 pm »
+1
Does anyone understand what refraction of light has to do with myopia and hyperopia??
Your eye has a lens and cornea which are responsible for refraction of light onto the rods and cones of the retina and this is at the FOCAL POINT. The rods and cones are responsible for colour and shade vision. In hyperopia and myopia, the FOCAL POINT occurs further than the retina or before the retina (respectively), and so images cannot be made properly. In order for proper images to form, the focal point must be at the retina.
2014-2015: VCE
2016-2018: Bachelor of Biomedical Science

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 03:28:53 pm »
+1

This picture is pretty handy. Basically just shows exactly what HighTide said. In the top image, you can see that the light is being refracted into a point in front of the retina (myopia), whereas in the bottom image the light is being focused directly onto the retina.

I will add that it's really important to remember the cornea, as it actually does the majority of the refraction; not the lens as many would assume (including me!).

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 03:39:33 pm »

Hi Dtinaa
Refraction of light is how light bends when entering mediums of different optical densities
In the eye, the lens, aqueous humour and vitreous humour refract light onto the retina.
When it refracts in front of the retina, myopia occurs, which means that objects that are far away are not focused properly (usually due to the eyeball being to long for accommodation to properly focus)
When it refracts behind the retina then hyperopia occurs, where the objects that are closer become blurry (usually due to the lens becoming less elastic due to age).

Hope this helps
Skidous

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 03:45:12 pm »
+1
Hi Dtinaa
Refraction of light is how light bends when entering mediums of different optical densities
In the eye, the lens, aqueous humour and vitreous humour refract light onto the retina.
When it refracts in front of the retina, myopia occurs, which means that objects that are far away are not focused properly (usually due to the eyeball being to long for accommodation to properly focus)
When it refracts behind the retina then hyperopia occurs, where the objects that are closer become blurry (usually due to the lens becoming less elastic due to age).

Hope this helps
Skidous

Don't forget the cornea, it's the most important bit for refraction

gadeerrr

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 09:15:38 pm »
Can anyone please explain to me introns and exons? It's part of the option module code broken - still confused as to the difference between exons and introns.

Thanks

HighTide

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Sink or swim
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 09:37:35 pm »
+1
Can anyone please explain to me introns and exons? It's part of the option module code broken - still confused as to the difference between exons and introns.

Thanks
In DNA, you have introns and exons. Exons code for proteins or polypeptides, whilst the introns are just non-coding segments which interfere with coding genes and are GENERALLY useless (the reason I say generally is because there's been some research into why introns are present).
During transcription, you make pre-mRNA then mature mRNA. pre-mRNA has introns and exons. mature mRNA only has exons which codes for only the protein. The introns are removed by splicosomes.
Idk much about your syllabus but generally it's just introns useless interrupting sequence, exons useful coding sequence.
2014-2015: VCE
2016-2018: Bachelor of Biomedical Science