Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 11:43:36 pm

Author Topic: Co-op Scholarship  (Read 5560 times)  Share 

willy-boy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St. John Paul College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Co-op Scholarship
« on: July 27, 2016, 02:30:50 pm »
Was just wondering if any current scholars//alumni could shed some light on the program? Were the restricted options of degree an issue for anyone, because as a student with an interest in Science and Politics, being locked into five years of a specific science degree (like Material Sci or Adv. Maths) seems a little worrisome.
Thanks in advance :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Co-op Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 06:50:00 pm »
Jamon is a co-op scholar under the engineering program right now. You should consider messaging him.

Also, depending on how you play out your degree, locking yourself may be the best choice ever. I know of someone who was all science in the HSC, but then decided to combine commerce with engineering instead of do a single degree in the latter. Ended up ditching engineering and doing just commerce.

willy-boy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St. John Paul College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 05:35:01 pm »
Thanks, will do :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 11:31:42 pm »
Thanks, will do :)

Hey there! Sorry, only just spotted this thread, let me know if you still have any questions about the program ;D

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 04:30:05 pm »
Hi!
The UNSW 2017 Co-op scholarship applications open tomorrow and I'm not entirely sure if i should enter.
I think I understand the general structure of the scholarship however I've got a few questions.
Firstly, is it true that you have to decide on your degree when applying? Someone told me that the scholarship kinda locks you in early and it is difficult to work around.
Secondly, Is it true that you can't do a double degree? I read on the UNSW page that in rare cases they allow double degrees for the scholarship.

Also from my understanding you can only do some engineering degrees for the co-op scholarship, what if you are thinking of doing another type that is not offered would it be possible? Since I am thinking about doing Mechatronics or Aerospace engineering which i believe are not on the Co-op degree list.

And lastly, I've been told that you need to maintain really high marks to keep the scholarship (obviously you need to do this for all scholarships, however i'm just wondering whether or not this scholarship in particular is high demanding)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  :)
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 04:48:48 pm »
+1
Hi!
The UNSW 2017 Co-op scholarship applications open tomorrow and I'm not entirely sure if i should enter.
I think I understand the general structure of the scholarship however I've got a few questions.
Firstly, is it true that you have to decide on your degree when applying? Someone told me that the scholarship kinda locks you in early and it is difficult to work around.
Secondly, Is it true that you can't do a double degree? I read on the UNSW page that in rare cases they allow double degrees for the scholarship.

Also from my understanding you can only do some engineering degrees for the co-op scholarship, what if you are thinking of doing another type that is not offered would it be possible? Since I am thinking about doing Mechatronics or Aerospace engineering which i believe are not on the Co-op degree list.

And lastly, I've been told that you need to maintain really high marks to keep the scholarship (obviously you need to do this for all scholarships, however i'm just wondering whether or not this scholarship in particular is high demanding)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  :)
Depends what you mean by "deciding your degree". Of course you have to state the relevant degree you intend to get because not every degree has a Co-op scholarship associated with it.

This is true for business. If you want to do co-op economics/commerce/actuarial, you're forced to take only that. But this is not true for engineering.

The list should not be wrong but you can always ask Jamon to double check. Remember that Jamon is actually a co-op scholar.

You don't need to have exceptional marks (e.g. 95+ in everything) but you definitely need to maintain solid marks. You need to show them that they're offering the scholarship to someone that is capable enough.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 05:13:51 pm »
+1
Hi!

You should definitely apply. Like, whether you end up wanting it down the track or not, definitely apply. Then you have the option if it presents itself! The application is a little intensive, but do it over your next school holidays or in the post-Trial lull. Never burn a potential bridge ;D

As Rui said, you do need to select your degree. If you get the scholarship, you get it for that degree - This is because, essentially, a company is paying for an electrical engineer (for example) to get through university. It's industry focused in that way. If you wanted to swap degrees, you'd have to either hope for a Coop vacancy in that degree (if it is part of Coop), or lose the scholarship.

As a note, if you choose to leave the scholarship, you have to pay back everything you've been paid since the last industry placement you completed. So, for example, if you left the program immediately after your first placement, you'd pay nothing. If I left right now, it's been about a year since my last placement, so I pay back a years worth of payments. So it is definitely not something to choose if you think you're a high chance of swapping degrees.

True, they tend to not like it because your focus as a Coop scholar is industry experience in your industry. Basically, if you do a double degree, you might go to the other sector - Sponsors don't like that (at least, that's how I view the scenario).

The scholarships they offer are based on the companies sponsoring the program that year. So unless they find a company that wants to sponsor an aeronautical engineer (for example), then they can't offer a scholarship for that program. Again, this scholarship is purely based on industry interests :)

For most degrees, it is a Credit minimum (meaning you need to score 65+ in all your subjects). If you are able to meet the 96 ATAR cut-off, getting credits in your subjects is not that difficult (like, don't get me wrong, not saying it will be easy, but if you can get a 96 ATAR, you can get a credit at university). The academic requirements are definitely nothing to be scared of. They work with you - You aren't kicked out of the program for one bad semester or anything like that :)

Let me know if I can answer any more questions! But yeah, apply, and then at least the opportunity is there should you want it, and should it present itself :)

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 08:12:49 pm »
You should definitely apply. Like, whether you end up wanting it down the track or not, definitely apply. Then you have the option if it presents itself! The application is a little intensive, but do it over your next school holidays or in the post-Trial lull. Never burn a potential bridge ;D

As Rui said, you do need to select your degree. If you get the scholarship, you get it for that degree - This is because, essentially, a company is paying for an electrical engineer (for example) to get through university. It's industry focused in that way. If you wanted to swap degrees, you'd have to either hope for a Coop vacancy in that degree (if it is part of Coop), or lose the scholarship.

As a note, if you choose to leave the scholarship, you have to pay back everything you've been paid since the last industry placement you completed. So, for example, if you left the program immediately after your first placement, you'd pay nothing. If I left right now, it's been about a year since my last placement, so I pay back a years worth of payments. So it is definitely not something to choose if you think you're a high chance of swapping degrees.

True, they tend to not like it because your focus as a Coop scholar is industry experience in your industry. Basically, if you do a double degree, you might go to the other sector - Sponsors don't like that (at least, that's how I view the scenario).

The scholarships they offer are based on the companies sponsoring the program that year. So unless they find a company that wants to sponsor an aeronautical engineer (for example), then they can't offer a scholarship for that program. Again, this scholarship is purely based on industry interests :)

For most degrees, it is a Credit minimum (meaning you need to score 65+ in all your subjects). If you are able to meet the 96 ATAR cut-off, getting credits in your subjects is not that difficult (like, don't get me wrong, not saying it will be easy, but if you can get a 96 ATAR, you can get a credit at university). The academic requirements are definitely nothing to be scared of. They work with you - You aren't kicked out of the program for one bad semester or anything like that :)

Let me know if I can answer any more questions! But yeah, apply, and then at least the opportunity is there should you want it, and should it present itself :)
Thanks so much guys for the in-depth responses. I think I will apply, nothing to lose :D. That condition about how you have to pay back everything if you change degrees is a bit harsh but besides that seems like a pretty good opportunity
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 08:24:57 pm »
+2
Thanks so much guys for the in-depth responses. I think I will apply, nothing to lose :D. That condition about how you have to pay back everything if you change degrees is a bit harsh but besides that seems like a pretty good opportunity
It's undeniably harsh but you can't blame them for it. They'll be easily ripped off if they let you keep it.

Maraos

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 08:10:07 pm »
If anyone has attended the 'Co-op create your Career Evening' in the past would you recommend going? It is on this Thursday at the UNSW campus.

https://www.futurestudents.unsw.edu.au/co-op-create-your-career-evening
2016 HSC:
Mathematics

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 12:16:08 am »
Jamon, how many positions do they offer to engineering, specifically software engineering if you know? Also which companies have you worked at? Do you have any advice and are you able to read through a co-op application? Thanks!

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 12:47:09 am »
+3
Jamon, how many positions do they offer to engineering, specifically software engineering if you know? Also which companies have you worked at? Do you have any advice and are you able to read through a co-op application? Thanks!

Number of positions offered depends on how many sponsors they have for the scholarship in that year, so it fluctuates a little! I'm semi confident they offered at least a handful of places in my cohort?

I've worked at Provecta Process Automation thus far, doing two 6 month stints at Downer and Cochlear next year ;D

My general advice for scholarships is all in this guide, happy to go into other specifics if you think of any, and I'd be happy to read a scholarship application if you'd like me to! :)

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 02:13:18 pm »
Number of positions offered depends on how many sponsors they have for the scholarship in that year, so it fluctuates a little! I'm semi confident they offered at least a handful of places in my cohort?

I've worked at Provecta Process Automation thus far, doing two 6 month stints at Downer and Cochlear next year ;D

My general advice for scholarships is all in this guide, happy to go into other specifics if you think of any, and I'd be happy to read a scholarship application if you'd like me to! :)

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9