Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:35:56 am

Author Topic: How to Go About Studying for any Science  (Read 16930 times)  Share 

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
How to Go About Studying for any Science
« on: August 02, 2016, 06:24:44 pm »
+13
Hi everyone!! Seeing as this is my 200th post (moving up to Respected Member ;D) I thought I would share my tips and other advice people have told me to get the best mark in Senior Science you can!

Before I start, I would also like to put it out there that Senior is a lot like other sciences so you could apply most of these to any science you do. However, Senior Science in my opinion has more skills questions than any other.

Okay now some study tips!
1) Doing Past Papers

Doing Past Exams is the best advice I can give you! Not only does it show you what you know it also (more importantly) shows you what you don't know. There is no point having an amazing knowledge of the topic and not being able to write what a question is actually telling you to write!

a) Multiple Choice
A lot of people either tend to do heaps of multiple choice or always skip over them. Make sure whenever you do a past exam that you actually attempt the multiple choice. However it is a common practice to leave the multiple choice till last on an exam day. Why? Because if worst comes to worst you can just fill in random bubbles and hope one will be right :D. Better to rush multiple choice than fail to do an 8 marker question (which is always at the back before the option)

b) 1-4 markers
These are great mark boosters!! You do not have to actually plan these questions as you would with a question with 5-6+ marks. You normally do not have much space to write your answer in so make every word count! If it is 1-2 marks all they are looking for is a couple of keywords. If you write these and nothing else than they will still most likely give you the marks.

c) 5+ markers
NOTE: The highest mark question is 8 marks currently, but who is to say that they wont put a 9 marker in one year to throw people off? EDIT: They actually did this in the 2013 Independent Trial- a 9 marker!
These questions are where you really need to know your content. These questions can take up to a full page to answer but do not be afraid to plan your response first! Either ask for spare paper (they'll most likely provide you with an extra writing booklet as they are used for the option questions anyway) or work out your response on the paper given. 7-8 markers are essentially mini essays. They should have an Introduction of some sort, a 'conclusion' and actual body paragraphs.

c)d) Option questions (Yes i do know my alphabet i'm just challenged when I'm tired :P)
One of these is always a skills based question. Another one of these are always a first hand investigation/practical that you have performed. Then there is a few questions on the content. NEVER PICK AN OPTION THAT YOU HAVENT STUDIED EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW NOTHING ON IT. Too often people try to tackle an unfamiliar option and end up getting less marks than the option they knew 'nothing' on. Also, do not get into the trap of not knowing your option properly!!

e) General advice about exams
- You can use diagrams, dot points and as much paper as you want to answer the questions!! (This is not recommended for 6+ markers but as a last resort)
- Bring in a calculator, ruler, pencil, spare pencil, rubber, sharpener, 3 black pens and highlighters. Just in case the question requires graphing or diagramming as most of the instructions say "draw diagrams in pencil"
- Also bring in tissues, a bottle of water, mentos (yes, you can bring them in apparently! Just make sure that they are in no wrapper and just in a clear ziplock bag). Anything that could possibly go wrong (going to the toilet before exam is good)
- Do not be afraid to ask for anything extra that you need!! Need a calculator as yours has conked out? Need a pen because your 3 have run out :o ??? ? Need the time because you are at the back and cant see the tiny clocks? Need more paper to truly express your knowledge? By all means ask for it!! (Dont spend an hour on 1 question though, you shouldnt need extra paper except possibly for the longer 6+ markers)
- I highly recommend against doing a full 3 hour paper at once. You already have to go through this torture so many times, you shouldnt have to do it again. Instead break it up into 1 1/2 hrs each. That is so much more livable!!

2) Preparing your study notes!

a) making notes succinct
Being able to make summaries actually summaries is a skill. Essentially one could start with the whole textbook of information and keep summarising until there is no more than 30 words or so per syllabus dot point. (No connecting words such as 'and' 'or' 'like' only keywords such as atria away, thick) Atarnotes have some amazing summaries for other sciences (but unfortunately no senior science). However, by request or PM i can upload my notes if you'd like.

b) not just slabs of info
A picture tells a thousand words. Diagrams count as pictures. (At least in my mind anyway ;)). It is important when you are creating your study notes that you arent just writing slabs of information. You will never learn this way. Use diagrams, tables, graphs and flow charts to truly lock content into your long term memory. Of course have some text as well but break it up regularly to give your eyes and brain a break (and a kitkat ;D)

c) Have fun!
Noone can stare at pages upon pages of notes for hours and simply expect to know the content. Research has shown that if you are having fun while you are studying then you will study for longer and therefore know more (newsflash!). Everyone has their own ways of learning. flash cards, post it notes (passive aggressive ones actually work well believe it or not :D) and whiteboard sessions are some ways you can have fun while studying.

d) give your eyes a rest
What happens if you just get plain sick of looking at things? Luckily we were put here on Earth with 5 senses! (good luck trying to use all of them to your advantage though lol) One sense we can utilise is our hearing. Whether it be hanging out with friends to study (trivia days/nights are always fun as people are competitive and dont want to lose), recording yourself doing hilariously inaccurate impersonations of famous people or teachers. Or you could combine these together for a real good time! Have a trivia session where a random sentence is said from a recording (which could be taking off your friends) and after you get over laughing about it, you can then try and answer it. Ditty (ios, android not sure) is an app that will sing whatever you type (although it has like a 60 character limit)

I might add more to this later but if I don't then this is the full package!! I hope it helps in your studies of Senior Science (and essentially all science subjects)! Just a reminder that while you need to knuckle down and study give yourself at least one night per week that is something you enjoy (if that is eating doritos and watching cat videos so be it, we dont judge ;D). Some general tips:

- Make a realistic time plan and stick to it (make sure that it includes breaks, meals, shower time, relaxing time and atarnotes time :D)
- I advise against doing any more than 3 hours of study per day (during peak exam period). Any more than 2 hours per night is not recommended outside of exam times.
- "Don't practice it until you get it right. Practice it until you cannot get it wrong."
- Try to cap the subjects per day at 2 or 3. In addition, try to make them polar opposites (eg Maths and Senior instead of Bio and Senior). It could be potentially detrimental to your studies if you study similar subjects together as there is a greater risk of confusion.
- DO NOT JUST PRACTICE WHAT YOU ARE GOOD AT!!!

Thats all for now. Thanks and feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions regarding this :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:25:15 pm by studybuddy7777 »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: How to Go About Studying for any Science
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:29:32 pm »
(I promise i will do this in a while but I am so sleepy 💤)
I wonder where you got this from :P

Just kidding, nah good stuff!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 06:44:39 pm »
I wonder where you got this from :P

Just kidding, nah good stuff!

Lol I believe yours was something along the lines of "I am only 30% done but I am extremely tired so ill finish it off later" ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 12:05:45 am »
Made the post a sticky study buddy, this is an awesome resource!!  ;D ;D ;D

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:47:36 am »
Thanks, do you reckon i should put it on the general science thread? It basically applies to all the sciences..

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 10:35:03 am »
Thanks, do you reckon i should put it on the general science thread? It basically applies to all the sciences..

Sure thing!! Move the whole topic into that section, good chance for you to practice moving a topic ;) (let me know if you need a hand)

Ssarahhg

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 03:45:57 pm »
+1
Thank you this helped a lot !