Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:20:01 am

Author Topic: How much does university "prestige" matter in finding a job?  (Read 11354 times)  Share 

Izzy1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How much does university "prestige" matter in finding a job?
« on: August 04, 2016, 12:53:11 pm »
When looking for a job, will going to a university such as Latrobe or ACU, that doesn't have the same level of prestige that Monash and MelbUni holds be of disadvantage?

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: How much does university "prestige" matter in finding a job?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 01:25:09 pm »
hey izzymaybury!
No one will care what uni you went to after you get the degree. I just thought i'd start with this because it is a common misconception that the best uni's have the best people and therefore they get the highest paying jobs. This is a complete myth. There is no truth to this whatsoever.

Having said that though.. You will need to look at the courses themselves as two Law degrees may have different subjects, electives, courses etc. Depending on which uni you go to you can combine a law degree with so many other degrees.

But in the event that they are the same, go for the one that is the most convenient for you, the one that youwant to go to. It certainly WILL NOT make you be at a disadvantage.

Thanks and hope this helps! :D

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 02:18:54 pm »
+9
it depends on the field but in commerce it definitely definitely matters heaps.
i was very intimately involved in the hiring for a role during my internship last summer and we had around 100 resumes per role and once we threw out resumes with grammar errors, unprofessional formats, or not suitable for the role, and we still had a few left (youd be surprised how little were left), the next differentiating factor was grades/uni/transcript

i definitely feel like there are 3 tiers for universities in victoria with melb and monash at the top, followed by RMIT and latrobe, then the rest in the bottom.
out of like say 30 applicants left from the original batch, we kept a couple of RMIT people with really good grades and good work experience, and i think 1 latrobe guy with a crazy average and resume, but we chucked out heaps of swinny and vic uni and even la trobe/rmit applicants and shit who had quite good transcripts because there were people with the same grades and achievements at melb/monash. i mean its better to have a person with an 80+ wam from acu than a 60 average from melbourne uni but there are people with wams that high from melbourne too.
once you get to the interview though it doesnt matter unless the person hiring you went to your uni and is really proud of it

however for other fields that are really standardised like psych and shit it doesnt really matter where you go as much

good luck for your future endeavours

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 02:20:48 pm »
+4
hey izzymaybury!
No one will care what uni you went to after you get the degree. I just thought i'd start with this because it is a common misconception that the best uni's have the best people and therefore they get the highest paying jobs. This is a complete myth. There is no truth to this whatsoever.

Having said that though.. You will need to look at the courses themselves as two Law degrees may have different subjects, electives, courses etc. Depending on which uni you go to you can combine a law degree with so many other degrees.

But in the event that they are the same, go for the one that is the most convenient for you, the one that youwant to go to. It certainly WILL NOT make you be at a disadvantage.

Thanks and hope this helps! :D

I can't say I agree with this. I'm not exactly an expert on Laws degrees, but I would happily bet my bottom dollar that the university you go to will make some kind of difference, at least in some areas. I'd imagine that Laws is one of those areas.

EDIT: Spectroscopy posted when I was typing but yeah, I agree with that.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 02:24:00 pm »
+1
just now realised this was posted in the law thread. the stuff that i said in my post definitely applies to that field as it is becoming a very very saturated market with lots more law graduates than in previous years. go to a good uni if you can

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 02:26:08 pm »
+2
When looking for a job, will going to a university such as Latrobe or ACU, that doesn't have the same level of prestige that Monash and MelbUni holds be of disadvantage?
Usually, your uni probably won't really matter, but for Law - probably, yeah, a Go8 uni puts you at an advantage.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Aqua97

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 02:55:17 pm »
A first class honors from melbourne or monash will give you considerable advantage but even then again job market is so saturated that its doesnt gurantee you anything. You would still need to have an excellent cv. My friend completed Bachelor of Commerce/Laws with first class honors, he was working at a mid tier financial firm throughout his degree, had tons of volunteering, extra curriculum (won several mooting comps) and he got rejected from the big 6, and ended up in an medium tier firm.

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 02:57:06 pm »
sorry to hijack, but does prestige matter as much in IT or business? more so IT - thanks for your input! :)
Uni and life

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 03:03:32 pm »
+4
sorry to hijack, but does prestige matter as much in IT or business? more so IT - thanks for your input! :)

Oh, you could've just PM'd me :P No, experience is crucial in regards to IT (not so much prestige itself). Prestige can positively impact your chance of employability in pretty much any discipline, however the emphasis of prestige is highlighted more so in certain disciplines (law being one of them).

In something like IT, you can get by with a degree from pretty much any uni supported by experience, volunteering and so on (more so the industry experience, which is basically compulsory for most if not all IT degrees by now).
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 03:27:42 pm »
Replying to further posts, the reason why the best unis are the best unis are because they normally have the best courses, subjects on offer, lecturers and an honours year. These will obviously make you more employable, the more time you have spent at uni the more knowledge youll know but i do not think reputation is a big thing. A lesser uni with just as good lectures, subjects, courses and an honours year can just as easily land you a job.

To use an example, a sibling of mine did PE (Secondary Sport) teaching at Newcastle Uni (not that high up on the pecking order) and landed a permanent job 1 year after completing the degree. Now anyone who does PE Teaching knows how long it can take to get a job, so if unis mattered, why did she get a job when there was over 100 applicants applying for the same job?

Some food for thought :D Generally it comes down to the person. A better uni wont always necessarily mean a better job

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 12:20:39 am »
I just had a read of this and wanted to chip in my two cents:

Whilst I personally don't like the idea of prestige, and the influence it has on things such as employment opportunities, the truth is that there are some professions (e.g. - law) where how prestigious the university you attended is a big thing. Although one could argue that the value placed on whether someone went to a prestigious university or not has diminished over time, it (unfortunately) still is evident and is influential when it comes to employers.

Source: Discussions with lawyers on work experience.
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

TonyEcon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 07:05:51 pm »
+1
I can unequivocally say that it does matter.   Most firms hire from Monash/Melbourne and now to a greater extent Deakin.  Does that mean that you will not be able to get a job? Absolutely not.  What it means, is that you will need to work a harder on making sure you have a well rounded CV to ensure you put yourself in the best position.  It might also mean that you have to put more of an effort in networking and meeting professionals.  Whilst your degree becomes largely irrelevant after your first job, you do need to secure that first job to begin with.
Bachelor of Law/Commerce @Monash
Premier's Awards:
Australian Politics (50) and International Studies (50)
Private Message for tutoring

Izzy1

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 06:14:36 pm »
+2
Sorry for the very late reply, I would just like to thank everyone for their input. It has definitely helped me in considering universities.

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 07:55:36 pm »
+6
hey izzymaybury!

Replying to further posts, the reason why the best unis are the best unis are because they normally have the best courses, subjects on offer, lecturers and an honours year. These will obviously make you more employable, the more time you have spent at uni the more knowledge youll know but i do not think reputation is a big thing. A lesser uni with just as good lectures, subjects, courses and an honours year can just as easily land you a job.

Digging up an old thread, but I wanted to clarify for the sake of any school-leavers that might read this thread in the future.

This is absolutely rubbish. As someone with a few years' experience finding a job in law, and with many many friends from many universities all trying to find jobs, I can say with absolute confidence that the uni you go to does matter.

For Victorian universities, it's generally Melbourne/Monash at the top (depending on the firm), then Deakin, then the rest. If you are interested in pursuing a career in Law, please try and go to one of those universities if possible and not just whatever is most convenient.

Whether the current state of affairs is desirable or not is another matter entirely.
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash