Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:35:33 pm

Author Topic: Are tsfx lectures worth it?  (Read 8672 times)  Share 

jayleno

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Are tsfx lectures worth it?
« on: August 31, 2016, 10:11:25 pm »
I heard they are done really well and can help massively but is it worth the investment?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Are tsfx lectures worth it?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:23:10 pm »
+1
I heard they are done really well and can help massively but is it worth the investment?

Why invest when ATAR Notes does it for free? ;)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 06:47:59 am »
Tsfx lectures are good yes, but they are no better than atarnotes lectures and the school for excellence charges ~$150-200 per subject when I last checked. While it is a good program, I would not say its worth that amount of cash. (Mate of mine went not me, so speaking from second hand experience)

But.. The atarnotes lectures are free and actually cover content!! (I'll admit, I thought it was going to be how to answer questions yada yada and not actually learn anything, but it turned out to be so helpful!)

What have you really got to lose? (Ps to get to these lectures I had a 2 1/2 hr train ride there and back for three days and didnt even mind the distance for the quality)

_nattts

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 06:47:57 pm »
Tsfx don't only go over content. You learn exam strategies and exactly what the examiners are looking for, how to structure answers etc. and it's all from the perspective of past vcaa examiners. I go to their fortnightly master classes 110% worth it

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 07:17:12 pm »
+3

Depends on the subject. When I went through VCE, back in the days before free VCE lectures were a thing, I went to a few TSFX lectures. Thought their Physics and Bio ones were great, the Chem one was ok, and the English one was a complete waste of time (including notes). So they can be a bit hit and miss, but generally have a good rep for the science subjects.

Tsfx don't only go over content. You learn exam strategies and exactly what the examiners are looking for, how to structure answers etc. and it's all from the perspective of past vcaa examiners. I go to their fortnightly master classes 110% worth it

Think it's worth noting that Master Classes and lectures are two different things. A lecture is essentially a very condensed version of what one learns in the Master Classes, hence you don't have the luxury of time to grasp concepts and ask questions, you need a clear communicator who can make you understand it the first time before quickly moving onto another concept.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 12:07:39 am »

Welcome to the forums _nattts! Let me know if you need help finding anything ;D

laura_s98

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Horsham College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 01:57:09 pm »
I can definitely vouch for TSFX lectures being great, and really high quality too. I really like the fact that for 3&4 methods the lecture notes are designed to be made into a bound (if you're like me and haven't made one yet...), but yes they are pretty pricey. You get a solid set of notes that are handy for revision, which are much more in-detail than like every other set of lecture notes I've ever gotten, if you are after that kind of thing!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:04:48 pm by jamonwindeyer »