Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:14:00 am

Author Topic: Think Maths is useless? Think again.  (Read 8099 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Think Maths is useless? Think again.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 10:59:06 pm »
Actually did fourier transforms for one of my statistics units (fun fact: electrical engineers took this unit for a bludge because the first half is legit just signals processing :P), and then fourier series for my applied unit. Not fun at all :'(

I actually tremendously enjoyed Fourier while studying it; very interesting! But I figured out pretty quick it's because they were giving us the easy questions. It was only an introduction, so they gave us Fourier Series with lots of cancellation, and easy transforms. I'm cautiously optimistic about Signal Processing next year...

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 11:01:10 pm »
I actually tremendously enjoyed Fourier while studying it; very interesting! But I figured out pretty quick it's because they were giving us the easy questions. It was only an introduction, so they gave us Fourier Series with lots of cancellation, and easy transforms. I'm cautiously optimistic about Signal Processing next year...

Don't worry - in actual signals type stuff, you don't really do as much Fourier as you'd expect. And most of it is just table look-ups. ;)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 11:16:50 pm »
Don't worry - in actual signals type stuff, you don't really do as much Fourier as you'd expect. And most of it is just table look-ups. ;)

God Bless Tables  8)