Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:41:16 pm

Author Topic: How did you cope with pre exam nerves?  (Read 2200 times)

Musa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How did you cope with pre exam nerves?
« on: October 04, 2016, 01:18:13 am »
With only a handful of days left until Paper 1 starts, what can you suggest to reduce pre exam stress?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: How did you cope with pre exam nerves?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 09:30:59 am »
With only a handful of days left until Paper 1 starts, what can you suggest to reduce pre exam stress?
If you've prepared enough, then you'll find your stress levels just vanish once you are in the exam. Reading time may or may not be confronting, but once you start writing it all stops.

Once you have fully completed your exam preparation (or at least, you believe you have), take it easy and just study for something else. 1 day before the exam I even chose to just walk in the park for a bit to reduce nerves.

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 10:14:23 am »

I agree with Rui, be confident in your preparation, you've spent nearly a whole year getting ready for these exams. I go for a swim at the beach everyday around exam time as well as walks. Also I find it really relaxing to cook myself a big breakfast and sit down and eat it with no phone/TV/last minute cramming. Try and keep as close as you can to your normal routine if you're feeling super overwhelmed, it will help you feel more in control  :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 02:14:35 pm »
It was actually Jamon that suggested it to me (Jamon graduated the year before me), he suggested to go into the exam in the morning with so much confidence, even if you don't have it. So if anyone asked me how I felt, I'd say "good, I feel like I'm going to do really well" or, "I think I'm going to do really well, I'll do my best" or anything like that. The confidence you fake carries into the exam.

I also found that a summary sheet of notes, quotes, whatever it may be, was super comforting to look over before the exam because it didn't require heavy thinking, but at the same time it kept me focused on my work and not the nervous people waiting to enter the exam room! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!