Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:22:14 pm

Author Topic: Paper 2 Preparations  (Read 62347 times)  Share 

claireob

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Paper 2 Preparations
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2017, 06:17:40 pm »
+1
Quick question, when referring to a text do I need to underline the title or put it in quotations?
I've been told to do both options.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2017, 06:25:30 pm »
Quick question, when referring to a text do I need to underline the title or put it in quotations?
I've been told to do both options.

Well you're not really quoting the title, so I'd opt for the underlining option, which is what I did in my own HSC :) There's no requirement according to anything official NESA documents to do it, I think it's just bridging the fact that it is best practice to put it in italics, but you can't do that in a written exam! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 06:29:22 pm »
Hi, currently i'm just struggling to figure out how to spend my time tonight. I'm pretty prepared for Mod A and Mod C (might need to brush up on my memorising) but I'm not quite sure how to be prepared for Module B Hamlet. I have an adaptable essay but I don't know many quotes/analysis beyond it in case they ask something specific that I haven't covered (which is likely). I'm not sure if it would be more useful at this point to learn more quotes etc or if i should go through the play again to get a broader understanding of the text and be able to answer the question conceptually better (also this would be more helpful if they end up quoting a section of the play which I have heard from some people will be likely this year). Hamlet is so broad and there are so many things to ask it just seems impossible to tackle so idk.
Thanks for all the great advice so far!

Personally, I'd go for the broader approach to cover more bases, it seems like the smarter option. If you pick up some extra quotes on the way - excellent!

CowMouldy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2017, 07:14:02 pm »
+1
Thanks so much for this, gonna really help calm me down for tomorrow :P

jaippreetha

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2017, 07:23:10 pm »
For Module A is there a possibility that they'll nominate a short story from Dubliners (the prescribed text) without an extract?

erinyyyyy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2017, 07:54:57 pm »
Just wondering if it’s necessary to have two related texts for module C? I’m doing Judith Wrights poetry and I do have a second related but I’d rather not spend too much time on it if it won’t be needed.

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2017, 07:57:44 pm »
A quick question, is it okay if I can abbreviate the titles of my texts? I know formally introducing it at the start is crucial, but would I be penalised if I abbreviated the titles if they're too long?

Mathew587

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2017, 08:08:29 pm »
A quick question, is it okay if I can abbreviate the titles of my texts? I know formally introducing it at the start is crucial, but would I be penalised if I abbreviated the titles if they're too long?
Yes you can do that. You have to specify what the abbreviations mean though before using them i.e. LIFE OF PI [LOP]. After specifying it once, preferably in the intro, use that same abbreviation throughout. :)
HSC 2017- 90.58
English Adv: 85
Mathematics Adv: 89
Biology: 86
Chemistry: 81
Economics:86
Business Stud: 91

~ UNSW Economics/Science ~

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2017, 08:12:00 pm »
+1
Just wondering if it’s necessary to have two related texts for module C? I’m doing Judith Wrights poetry and I do have a second related but I’d rather not spend too much time on it if it won’t be needed.

Can't say it's necessary - previously they've only asked for one! :)

Yes you can do that. You have to specify what the abbreviations mean though before using them i.e. LIFE OF PI [LOP]. After specifying it once, preferably in the intro, use that same abbreviation throughout. :)
Correct - but I do recommend that if your title isn't long that you just write it. The notes from the marking centre in 2015 said people should avoid unwieldy abbreviations, and I think that if it's only going to save you one second to write out the whole thing, then you should do it. Just my personal preference! :)

anthonycirillo

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2017, 10:32:21 pm »
Hey for W.B. Yeats' poetry I'm just wondering what the technique is called to label "a lonely impulse of delight" for an Irish airman foresees his death? thanks xx

Dante1091

• Adventurer
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2017, 11:01:43 pm »
Quick question,

How should we spend reading time productively tomorrow in Paper 2

Also, I'm afraid I might have forgotten to put my student number today in Paper 1, what will happen now?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2017, 11:12:44 pm »
Hey for W.B. Yeats' poetry I'm just wondering what the technique is called to label "a lonely impulse of delight" for an Irish airman foresees his death? thanks xx

Hmm, maybe personification (an impulse can't be lonely), even just loaded word choice? :)

Quick question,

How should we spend reading time productively tomorrow in Paper 2

Also, I'm afraid I might have forgotten to put my student number today in Paper 1, what will happen now?

I'd be reading all the questions (duh) and then start planning in your head! Try and have plans for your paragraph topics and your Thesis for at least a couple of the essays you'll need to write by the end of the time ;D

No stress about the student number, they'll cross reference to figure it all out ;D

iktimal

• Adventurer
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2019, 11:09:46 pm »
Hey guys, I need help relaxing, I am so anxious about tomorrow. There's so much speculation about the questions being curveballs that I'm stressing out so much. I memorized all my quotes, but I have this constant feeling that I'm underprepared like they are just going to throw me a question that's gonna mess everything up. I really need some advice on how to relax, I am very nervous about tomorrow.....
Thanks!

Albus

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2019, 11:28:18 pm »
Is it wrong if I'm basing most of my paragraphs in both essays on context and textual form (not many quotes) ?!?!