Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:15:41 am

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Rachel Corbett article?  (Read 7652 times)

nickglyn

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Thoughts on the Rachel Corbett article?
« on: October 14, 2016, 11:04:36 pm »
+1
Hey guys. So I wasn't exactly sure where to post this question so I just came to this forum...it isn't exactly exam related but I just wanted to see what your thoughts where on the Rachel Corbett article? If you haven't heard about it, it's the journalist who made that ridiculous rant about us HSC student's complaining too much and needing to suck it up...I just wantsd to see what you guys had to say about it! Do you agree?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Thoughts on the Rachel Corbett article?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:16:54 pm »
I thought it was really strange!
She entered an "HSC Discussion Group." It's literally in the title of the Facebook group. Of course people are using it to whinge. That is basically the whole point of the page haha, to vent frustrations and joke around with your cohort (as if she wasn't stressed and whinging when she was doing her exams!)
If people had been had been just generally posting this stuff on facebook, to the point where her newsfeed was impacted, then I'd say she'd have the semblance of a point, still a bit odd some of the stuff she said, but I could understand why she was frustrated. But that is not what happened at all haha, instead a 35-40 year old women, of her own free will, joined a facebook group for 17-18 year olds doing a set of exams that she hasn't done in almost two decades, and complained about the content of it. I just, ughhhh.

She has got a point that some people take things too far on that page (though most of her examples where not that bad tbh), but thats what happens whenever you have a group 6000 people large. You're always going to get some dickheads. But yeah I don't know, I just think the whole situation is pretty funny, especially when I saw what the HSC apparently looked like back in 1998 when she took it. After comparing it to todays exam, I don't really think she can play "the we all had to go through this" card haha.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:26:17 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:20:55 pm »
+1
Let's keep the open discussion of this to a minimal. There's been heaps of drama over it as is.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested in my stance.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 11:41:36 pm »
+1
Let's keep the open discussion of this to a minimal. There's been heaps of drama over it as is.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested in my stance.
Discussion is fine.

My stance is that the article isn't worth the digital paper its written on and that... if any HSC students feel like having a whinge... ATAR Notes is here for you (and maybe we can even fix the thing you're whingeing about! :) )
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 11:43:48 pm »
+1
From a Journalism point of view - that article would have got thousands more clicks than most average articles. Nonetheless, I think it's poor ethical reporting to make such an article in an enormous time of stress for thousands of people.

Basically, don't let your stress, anxiety, worries, happiness, celebrations, etc, be undermined by someone (who is several years older and out of touch with modern HSC reality) who is writing for clicks on an article, at the end of the day. I completely empathise with students feeling upset or just plain bothered by the article. It undermines the strength and unity of the cohort in extremely tough times. Bottom line is: don't feel invalidated or undermined through the article - everything that you or any other HSC student has felt, is real.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 11:57:02 pm »
I agree - the discussion here is fine. However i've moved it from English Advanced to HSC (thought about moving it to News but figured since its HSC specific, may as well leave it here!)
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 12:21:42 am »
+1
I could've sworn I briefly saw a news report backing up the students but I've already lost the link

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 12:24:57 am »
+1
I could've sworn I briefly saw a news report backing up the students but I've already lost the link
Was it this one?
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and-culture/60k-raging-hsc-students-are-roasting-the-hell-outt/f56a2998-4fab-42ae-b135-0d07e4b2c928.htm
Idk how reputable this source is but this is the only kind of news article i've seen reporting it.

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

ml125

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 12:36:57 am »
+1
Was it this one?
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and-culture/60k-raging-hsc-students-are-roasting-the-hell-outt/f56a2998-4fab-42ae-b135-0d07e4b2c928.htm
Idk how reputable this source is but this is the only kind of news article i've seen reporting it.
There was a Lew Spears one as well haha got a good laugh out of it lol
HSC 2016: EE2 | MX1 | Chemistry | Physics
GOAL 2017: Combined Advanced Science/Engineering @ UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 12:44:51 am »
Thing is it was definitely a video clip I saw...

daatarz

• Adventurer
  • School: PBCB
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 12:55:32 am »
the channel 9 guy doing the exam whilst we do, or something like that?

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 02:22:46 am »
+2
Was it this one?
Pedestrian TV are in the top 500 Australian websites!

Karl Stefanovic on Sunrise g-ing up
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 12:33:46 am »
+1
Was it this one?

Pedestrian TV is the best! Solid reporting in a banter-style. You've gotta get on it! :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 12:37:24 am »
Pedestrian TV is the best! Solid reporting in a banter-style. You've gotta get on it! :)
Awesome! Can't believe I haven't really seen it before haha. After HSC I have a lot of catching up to do with the real world it seems ;)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 09:32:29 am »
+1
Awesome! Can't believe I haven't really seen it before haha. After HSC I have a lot of catching up to do with the real world it seems ;)

A year post-HSC and I'm still trying to catch up! You'll love it :)