Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 09:07:17 pm

Author Topic: memeningful's list of never ending math questions  (Read 4041 times)  Share 

memeningful

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
memeningful's list of never ending math questions
« on: October 29, 2016, 03:21:35 pm »
I suck at maths, but I'm willing to ask questions, please don't laugh at me :)

I'm doing linear functions with an AJ Sadler book

a prac teacher called me insane for trying to do this book on my own, but I want to get better math skills

6. The length of the straight line joining A (1,4) to point B (7,c) is 10 units. Find two possible values of c

when I think of straight line, I'm thinking the use of pythagoras thereom

I tried to do this in the library and I sat there thinking I am an idiot, but I will try to attempt to do questions and then ask for help

thanks everyone

de

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Re: memeningful's list of never ending math questions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 03:35:23 pm »
+1
Yeah so you're right about Pythagoras. The fact that there are two possible solutions for c shouldn't put you off as it actually points us towards the squares of pythagoras' theorem.

Here, the distance in the x direction is and in the y direction it's and the total length of the line is 10. If you imagine a triangle with side lengths 6 and c-4 and hypotenuse 10 you can set up the pythagoras equation Rearranging so and we get two solutions c=-4 or 12.
Tutoring 2017-Methods, Physics: 50. Spesh: 47

memeningful

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 04:11:26 pm »
Yeah so you're right about Pythagoras. The fact that there are two possible solutions for c shouldn't put you off as it actually points us towards the squares of pythagoras' theorem.

Here, the distance in the x direction is and in the y direction it's and the total length of the line is 10. If you imagine a triangle with side lengths 6 and c-4 and hypotenuse 10 you can set up the pythagoras equation Rearranging so and we get two solutions c=-4 or 12.

thank you so much!! :)))

memeningful

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 08:05:22 pm »
At 8 a.m. one morning an industrial fuel tank contains 4000 liters of fuel. Fuel is being withdrawn from the tank at a constant rate of 0.25 litres per minute. Writing A litres for the amount of fuel in the tank at time t hours past 8 a.m. find A when t  = 2 and t when A = 3850
Express the relationship between A and t in the form A = mt + c

I figured out A when t = 2 and when t when A = 3850

but I had problems with the relationship between A and T in the form of A = mt +c

RKTR

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 08:15:26 pm »
At 8 a.m. one morning an industrial fuel tank contains 4000 liters of fuel. Fuel is being withdrawn from the tank at a constant rate of 0.25 litres per minute. Writing A litres for the amount of fuel in the tank at time t hours past 8 a.m. find A when t  = 2 and t when A = 3850
Express the relationship between A and t in the form A = mt + c

I figured out A when t = 2 and when t when A = 3850

but I had problems with the relationship between A and T in the form of A = mt +c

hint: how do you find m when you have 2 coordinates? t is your x-coordinate while A is your y-coordinate in this case.
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience)
2018: Doctor of Medicine (Withdrawn)
2019: Bachelor of Commerce (Actuarial Studies?)