Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:41:19 am

Author Topic: Advice on choosing a degree Adv Maths/Adv Sci  (Read 1498 times)  Share 

FallonXay

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
Advice on choosing a degree Adv Maths/Adv Sci
« on: October 30, 2016, 07:11:01 am »
Hiya!  ;D

So I've been looking at doing a dual degree with Computer science AND either Advanced Mathematics or Advanced Science (hopefully going in to the physics discipline) but I am unsure with whether I should put Maths or Science as my higher preference. I share interest in both Maths and Science - so I just wanted to hear some other opinions on the topic  :)

Thanks!!!

Edit: At UNSW btw
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:17:33 am by FallonXay »
HSC (2016): English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics: Extension 1 || Physics || Design and Technology || Japanese Beginners

University: B Science (Computer Science) @UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Advice on choosing a degree Adv Maths/Adv Sci
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 09:35:29 am »
Advanced science is broader than science (advanced mathematics). If you choose the latter then you're basically being like me and deadlocking yourself into maths. (Excluding of course changing degrees)

So you want to think about what you like more. If you're unsure then it's better to pick advanced science as you can pick a field to major in (i.e. Physics, biology or even a maths major anyway). But if you like maths that much then the latter might be more favourable because you can declare a math major between things such as applied maths, pure maths and statistics

FallonXay

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
Re: Advice on choosing a degree Adv Maths/Adv Sci
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 10:05:39 am »
Advanced science is broader than science (advanced mathematics). If you choose the latter then you're basically being like me and deadlocking yourself into maths. (Excluding of course changing degrees)

So you want to think about what you like more. If you're unsure then it's better to pick advanced science as you can pick a field to major in (i.e. Physics, biology or even a maths major anyway). But if you like maths that much then the latter might be more favourable because you can declare a math major between things such as applied maths, pure maths and statistics

Got it; Thanks for the explanation/ advice - much appreciated!!!  :D
HSC (2016): English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics: Extension 1 || Physics || Design and Technology || Japanese Beginners

University: B Science (Computer Science) @UNSW