Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:07:11 am

Author Topic: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions  (Read 129647 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions
« on: November 16, 2016, 11:04:50 am »
+10
This resource is under construction.
One of the most enduring questions in Area of Study: What's a good related text?
If you aren't quite sure what constitutes a great related text, then check out our guide to picking a related text here - we've answered a lot of frequently asked questions, too!

So below we've compiled a list of over 50 related texts that have been tried and tested. All of these related texts have been brought forward by students - except for a few that I have viewed/read myself and thought it would be perfect for discovery. Where possible, we've attached a brief synopsis so you can get an idea about whether or not you'll like the text. We've also attached some helpful links from the web to help you get on your way to studying the text. Just click on the tabs below to open up the resources. We've organised them into media type, in case you have a preference!

If you have a related text that you'd like to add to the list, we'd love for you to comment the name, what you thought of it, and even any helpful links. We want to create this resource in a way that makes it uber helpful to current and future students, and student input is the best way we can achieve that.

Short Stories:
Spoiler
Tim Winton’s Distant lands
Where can it be found?
You can pick up Distant Lands in Tim Winton's anthology of short stories, Minimum of Two. I got it for about $15 at my local book store, and it's available on iBooks and probably at most local or school libraries. Tim Winton is a well known Australian author, so it's usually not too hard to track down his work.
Brief synopsis
in Distant Lands, a girl named Fat Maz works in her parent's news-agency in what appears to be a dull and non-stimulating country environment. Her days are bland, her father is a racist, her mother is a bore. They go home in the lunch hour, but Fat Maz stays to watch the shop. A Pakistani man enters the shop in that lunch hour to read a book called Distant Lands. He never buys it, but puts it back after the hour and leaves before Fat Maz's parents return. They never talk. *Spoiler alert* Until the end, when he gives her a $50 note (that has more significance back then than what it does now). The money is symbolic of new perspectives, and the book "Distant Lands" is a motif as well.
Ideas explored
-Discovering new perspectives
-Discovering new worlds
-A change in environment being a catalyst for discovery
-Emotional, intellectual and physical discoveries.
-Transformative discoveries.
-Many more
Resources
You can read my band 6 essay for AOS using Distant Lands here.

Tim Winton’s Neighbours
Where can you find it?
This TIm Winton short story can be found in the short story anthology called Scission. Most book stores sell this for about $15, and it is available on iBooks. Most libraries will have Tim Winton's work. Here's a copy I found on the web.
Synopsis
A young married couple move into a street that has a high population of Europeans (Italians, Maltese, Polish etc). The couple are hesitant at first and appear to be complete outsiders. In time, they realise how helpful and kind these people are, and they realise that they are all just humans. The cultures melt together in a really beautiful way.
Ideas explored
-Discovering new perspectives
-Outlooks and perspectives being challenged
-Discovering intellectually, and emotionally.
-Renewed perceptions leading to new outlooks.
-Transformative nature of discovery
-+more
Resources
Here's a summary I found online that might give you some helpful language. By the same author, here's a character analysis!

Kate Chopin’s The Story of an Hour
Where can I find it?
Riiiiiiight here!
Synopsis
This story was originally published in Vogue in the 1894. It is about a sickly wife with a heart condition. She's told that her husband has died, causing her to grieve heavily and then imagine an entire new life of freedom for herself. With acknowledgement to the sadness her husband's death brings, she's caught up in the positive ramifications this could have. *Spoiler alert* She comes to terms with this very new positive life very quickly, although she loved her husband, she loved the prospect of freedom. She leaves her bedroom after grieving, and goes downstairs to realise her husband is still alive. She gets such a shock that she dies.
Ideas explored
-Discovery that is emotional, creative, physical, spiritual and intellectual.
-Discovering new perspectives.
-Tragedy as a prompt for discovery
-Transformative nature of discovery
-Unplanned/planned nature of discovery
Resources
There are some wonderful resources out there on this short story, starting with Schmoop. Schmoop is always a great place to start because they take you from summary to analysis. SparkNotes does something similar here as well! Here's another more random resource that's worth checking out! Here's a link to a location with a bunch of essays on this short story.

The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant
Where can it be found?
The full text can be found here!
Synopsis
This is not the shortest of short stories, but it's a goodie. Basically, a woman is dissatisfied with her lowly economic status, which is comfortable but nothing extravagant. She's been married into a middle income situation and she's so dissatisfied. Her husband brings home an invitation one day to a fancy event, but she says to decline because she doesn't have a nice dress. So the husband arranges for her to have a lovely dress at the cost of 400 francs. Then, she finds that she is still dissatisfied because she doesn't have jewels. The husband tries to convince her to wear flowers, but she insists on jewels. So she borrows some from a wealthy Madame. She goes to the ball, she's intoxicated by the attention she received for being the most beautiful woman in the room. As she walks home, she realises she's lost the necklace. Her husband retraces the steps through the night but finds nothing. So they work extremely hard to find $36,000 to pay for a new diamond necklace. They mortgage the rest of their lives out, and live in poverty and dismay. Years onwards, the wife meets Madame in the street; Madame doesn't recognise her. The wife explains how she's lived a life in debt and turmoil because of the lost necklace, and Madame tells her at the end that it was only costume jewellery. She'd thrown away her life for nothing.
Resources
As always, SparkNotes has you covered! Schmoop does too! This resource here dissects the themes in the text. This resource is excellent for dissecting situational irony and conflict. This text is not short of resources!

The Tell Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe
Where can I get a copy?
It was written in 1843, so the world wide web has it available for free viewing here!
Synopsis
I'll start by saying that I'm not a huge fan of Poe's work, but I think this piece is wonderfully mad.
Here's a summary I've taken directly from SparkNotes: "An unnamed narrator opens the story by addressing the reader and claiming that he is nervous but not mad. He says that he is going to tell a story in which he will defend his sanity yet confess to having killed an old man. His motivation was neither passion nor desire for money, but rather a fear of the man’s pale blue eye. Again, he insists that he is not crazy because his cool and measured actions, though criminal, are not those of a madman. Every night, he went to the old man’s apartment and secretly observed the man sleeping. In the morning, he would behave as if everything were normal. After a week of this activity, the narrator decides, somewhat randomly, that the time is right actually to kill the old man."
How does this work with discovery?
-The reader makes a discovery as the story unfolds
-The narrator is coming to terms with a type of discovery at the same time as the reader.
-The idea of truth, and the struggle of truth, is paramount to discovery.
Resources
Obviously, SparkNotes has some great perspective on this text. Schmoop has also got you covered. CliffsNotes also has some perspective on this. Lastly, this resource really breaks down a lot of the techniques, which is always important.

Graphic Novels/Comic Books/Picture Books
Spoiler
Peter Sis’s The Wall: Growing up Behind the Iron Curtain
Where can you get this?
Amazon has copies of this for about $12. My school library had a copy, which is how I came across it (it was actually brought to my attention as a related text for After the Bomb in Extension 1 English). Definitely check out your school or local library before buying a copy. Here's a quick google image search on what the pages of the book look like - so you know.
What's it about?
Basically, the author Peter, was growing up on in Soviet-controlled Czech in the Cold War. The graphic novel explains how his life was in that time. Colour is used mostly (everything black and white with accents of red). It's a real joy to read and it's not very long. Towards the end, influences from the West come floating over the wall...Peter hears about Coca Cola and American Music. So the pages turn to bright colour as the Berlin wall is dismantled. It's a really good book and you can definitely read it in one sitting - about 10 minutes. The most important aspect, at least in my own reading, is that Peter is an artist. He's been drawing for as long as he can remember - even in a place where it was dangerous to draw.
Discovery?
This book works for discovery on a few levels. The idea of perception is challenged as new ideas are discovered. The impact that an environment has on discoveries is potent in this book. The discoveries in the book are transformative in nature, and largely unplanned.
Resources please?
Here's a write up from the New York Times. Here is an interview with the author of the book. And here is the author explaining what is happening on some of the pages. And for what it's worth, here's the blurb from Peter's website.

Shaun Tan’s The Lost Thing (this is also a short film and a play)
Where can I get it?
Here is the direct link to the magical site of The Lost Thing. Here is the animated version.
What's it about?
The YouTube animation describes the plot like this: "A boy finds a strange creature on a beach, and decides to find a home for it in a world where everyone believes there are far more important things to pay attention to."
Discovery
This text worked well for belonging and it'll work well for discovery. The initial experience of discovery is the unplanned nature, when the boy comes across the Thing on the beach. From there, it's a pleasant unravelling of discoveries. The discovery of other people's perceptions is the one that sticks out the most to me. Also, the way that a discovery, like the physical discovery of the Thing, can prompt emotional, intellectual, spiritual and creative discoveries and changes within an individual.
Resources:
If you don't mind reading lesson plans, this resource is genuinely really good for breaking down the text for the first time. Here's another great gold mine for resources on this one! Here's an interview from the State Library of Victoria where Shaun Tan talks about the Lost Thing. There's lots and lots out there on this!

Armin Greder’s The Island

The Violin Man, by Bill Bryson and Colin Thompson

Films (including short films)
Spoiler
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (also a novel)
23 Degrees, 5 minutes (YouTube)
Slumdog Millionaire
Kim Ho’s The Language of Love
Jane Campion’s the Piano
Little Miss Sunshine - Jonathan Dayton
The Butterfly Circus - Joshua Weigel
The Book Thief - Brian Percival
Where do Lilacs Come from? By Matthew Thorne
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Spirited Away by Hayako Miyazaki
Christopher Kezelos’ Zero
Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Film
Spoiler
Discoveries explored: Self-discovery // Physical discovery // Emotional discovery // Curiosity // Renewed perspectives on individuals and of others // Speculation of future possibilities // Unexpected nature of discovery // Wonder // Necessity // Confronting and provocative // Rediscovery of one's self

Synopsis: Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) follows two main characters, Ricky Baker and Hector. Ricky Baker is a juvenile delinquent who has been abandoned by his mother and has been in and out of foster care with a welfare service officer, Paula. Hector's wife, Bella, is his new foster mother who looks to take on a seemingly impossible task of raising him up. The plot continues to thicken when Bella suddenly dies, and Hector called the welfare service officer to pick him up again. At the same time, Ricky fakes his suicide and burns down a barn where he later runs into the forest - later found by Hector.

In this event, Hector breaks an ankle after taking a fall and they are forced to camp out in the forest. Meanwhile, a national manhunt for the two people begin after authorities believe that Hec has kidnapped Ricky. The two slowly bond as they help each other through this manhunt, which is where most of the internal discoveries take place. Throughout the manhunt, we observe their own selves starting to change and they become more alike in the sense that they are both cared by the same loving person, Bella.

The film places comedy where a lot of the serious issues arise, emphasising the theme of hope and trust as the film concludes with a well rounded version of Ricky Baker - the man he never was - with the film concluding with a scene of Hector (after he is released from prison) and Ricky Baker together.

Discuss discovery in terms of:
There are many chances for you to discuss the notion of discovery.
Self-discovery is one of the main ideas you could definitely bring into light - both, Hector and Ricky transform into a better person individually and in society as a result of their bond. Hector becomes a father figure he never once was. As an illiterate and as someone who hated people, Hector's growth as a person is clear cut - he begins to see love again, encapsulating hopefulness, gratitude, and perseverance when he's around Ricky. Ricky, on the other hand, understands Hector - their bond creates a father-son moment, and this catalyses Ricky's growth. He needed a father figure in his life, and so he begins to transform and grow as a person because of Hector. Together, they are strong - they couldn't survive without the other.

Another big discovery concept that definitely comes into play is the unexpected nature that discoveries can play. We see this very clearly through the death of Bella, the foster mother of Ricky and the wife of Hector. The sudden death of Bella becomes the starting/turning point to a chain of smaller discoveries, but it's the unexpected nature of discovery that drives Hector and Ricky to explore the consequences of their smaller discoveries. They are forced to change the way they live, and through this, they change their outlook on life. The unexpected death meant that Hector had to raise Ricky up, but he fears that the "old" Hector isn't the best role model to do so. As a result of this, he calls the welfare service officers to take Ricky back to juvenile camp. However, his outlook changes through the recurring discoveries that he encounters later on. One big change in someone's lifestyle, as a result, can bring a whole new perspective on themselves and of the world.

Works well with:
I believe that it is definitely a good related text for the Motorcycle Diaries. There are values of adventure that both texts explore, the changed positioning of the protagonist's outlook is definitely a key facet in both texts, and the metaphysical discoveries that are explored are encompassed in both texts.

Still visuals
Spoiler
Picasso - Guernica
Rene Magritte - The Treachery of Images
The Savage State by Thomas Cole

Novels/Novellas
Spoiler
Charles Dickens - Great Expectations
Where can I get it?
You can get this one free on iBooks, but it's a very long text to read from a screen. I read it in paperback.
What's it about?
This is a bildungsroman text - a text that deals with someone's formative years. Pip is a young boy of lowly status who falls into extraordinary circumstances. Pip grows to realise things aren't as they seem (I'm simplifying the story massively - it's one of those stories where everything falls together in ways you could never imagine).
What's it got to do with Discovery?
The story follows someone who actually goes to where the grass is greener, only to realise that it is in fact, not greener. It's a perfect story for discovery new perspectives, challenging old perspectives, discovery emotionally, physically, spiritually, intellectually and creatively, as well as planned and unplanned discoveries. This text, out of all of the ones I've read myself, has the most discovery to unpack.
Some resources please!
Well, we always start with SparkNotes. And then we move to Schmoop. This book review is also pretty handy. You can't read the entire thing unless you sign in, but the preview offers a lot of good analysis on women in the text. And here is a PDF about approaching Great Expectations, as well as some analysis.

John Le Carre - The Spy who Came in from the Cold
What's it about?
The SPy Who Came in from the Cold is a Cold War Espionage novel by John Le Carre - a famous writer in this genre. This is a prescribed text for the Extension 1 English After the Bomb elective. I read it myself, and the genre wasn't my cup of tea, but I cried at the end and I definitely didn't see that coming. The text is quite meaningful and can be enjoyed for it's value on humanism - or its espionage value. Basically, a spy finds himself a pawn in a much bigger game (called the Cold War) and he is tied up with how romance, and state loyalty, can interact. At least, this is the way I see the text. A espionage aficionado would see it differently! :)
What's it got to do with Discovery?
There's a lot of discovering to do in terms of emotions...purpose...and value. There's a lot of physical discoveries too, given that it is in a spy-situation. There's a lot to unpack with this text.
Where are some resources?
There are hundreds of resources on this one, lots of reviews, lots of opinions, etc. Here's a few to get you started:
Here is a summary and guide from Bookrags.
Here's a sort-of opinion piece published to the Guardian.
If you're looking for something more complicated, here is a structuralist reading.

George Orwell’s Animal Farm
Elizabeth Gilbert’s Eat, Pray, Love
Margaret Atwood’s The Vanishing Child
Stephen Cosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower (also a film)
Mark Zusak’s The Messenger (2002)
William Golding’s The Lord of the Flies
The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
The Book Thief Markus Zucak

Documentaries
Spoiler
Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant’s comedy travelogue: An Idiot Abroad

Poetry
Spoiler
Percy Shelly - Ozymandias
*This was contributed to by a 2018 HSC graduate!*
What is it?This was produced in 1816. It is about discovering the ephemeral nature of life and the inevitable destruction of all civilizations regardless of their power (sudden and unexpected discovery, confronting and intensely meaningful, emotional, intellectual-some examples from the rubric, but there is more).
'Ozymandias' was consumed by his desire for power, but in the end, he is simply a broken statue in the desert.
Ozymandias explores varying notions of discovery. As we follow the narrators tale, we discover that man is mortal but that art and language remains. Although written in 1816, responders today are able to challenge and question man and his actions and his imprint on nature.
Context?Ozymandias was a Greek name for pharaoh Ramesses II, who ruled Egypt from 1279 BCE to 1213 BCE, in the 19th Dynasty of Ancient Egypt.
For anyone in advanced doing 'The Tempest' as their perscribed:PROSPERO was also consumed by power, however he also discovers the fleeting nature of life and changes his ways.
By combining this idea with the above statement regarding the poem, you could create a concept that would work for both texts equally well (leave out the changing ways bit, because 'ozymandias' does not include that).
I included this reference to the tempest because that is my AOS related text.

When looking at whether its actually RELATED, it doesn't have to be, sometimes its better to have a text that has completely different themes to your perscribed text, but that depends on the person. Also different people can find different ways that texts relate. Remember you can say it relates in any way shape or form AS LONG AS YOU BACK UP/EXPLAIN HOW IT DOES

Annotations:
*Please see below the quote box here for the annotations!*
My apologies to anyone who cannot read my annotations properly, this was done very roughly on my computer-my handwritten annotated copy was even harder to read!
Anyway...
Discovery Ideas:The rediscovery of the forgotten statue of Ozymandias is the central feature of the poem as Shelly expounds how the memory of the king's passion and emotion continues to survive, through "the sneer of cold command." Shelly compels the responder to explore the secrets of Ozymandias, by dislocating himself from the poem in the first stanza.
Whilst reading this poem, the responder is prompted to experience a revelation as an understanding that the acts of all past civilization are now worthless, is explored. Ozymandias' statue symbolizes the ephemeral nature of all individuals.

Analysis:
Line 5: "cold command"-alliteration-a harsh sound which echoes the kings heartless instruction. The imperative, "Tell" uttered by the king captures his arrogance and authority.
Line 10: Hyperbole-reinforces his arrogance and the notion that because he was sculpted larger than life that this would retain his story, his leadership, his monuments
Line 11: The sense of irony-the King's words remains-irony-this is the power of language and art
Line 12: Inversion-stresses the "nothing"-his life's work has come and gone-as do civilizations
Line 13: The exaggerated extended vowel "o" in "colossal" and "round" serve to highlight both the magnitude and the crumbling of his rule.
Line 14: The alliteration of "I" in "level" and "lone" emphasize the endless scope of nature-there is no boundary-nature survives,nature is ever present

Some links with some more analysis,themes etc on the poem:
eNotes.com
CliffsNotes
SparkNotes

So there you have it! Another related Text!
I hope this hopes you on your rollercoaster ride through HSC English Area of Study!
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me!
Good luck!!  :)

Robert Frost -The Road Not Taken
Seamus Heaney - Digging
Seamus Heaney - Mid Term Break
Sylvia Plath - Ariel
Margaret Atwood - The Moment
Margaret Atwood - Journey to the Interior
Barn Owl - Gwen Harwood
Peter Skrzynecki’s Crossing the Red Sea
Peter Skrzynecki’s Leaving Home
Darius Simpson and Scout Bostley’s spoken word poem Lost Voices (2015)
Cut - Sylvia Plath
The Good Morrow - John Donne

Biographies
Spoiler
Malala Yousafzai’s I am Malala

Multimedia
Spoiler
The Boat - SBS
Clouds over Sidra - UN
Brandon Stanton: Humans of NY
Where can I access this?
The link to the offical blog is here but you probably know that HONY is on Facebook and Instagram as well. Facebook is important. As you discuss this text, you could discuss the use of social media and interactivity as a technique for discovery in itself. If you want to be more specific, you can actually focus on a particular series that HONY has conducted, you can find the different series here.
Synopsis
I have to say, this is one of my highest recommendations for related texts. It's innovative, it's never a bore to analyse, and you can be as specific or broad as you like (meaning, you could spend ten minutes reading the text or the whole year). Each story gives a little insight into the life of someone. The series unify the experience, bringing the discovery together in a stronger way. I can't give much of a synopsis seeing as every photo is so different, but if you have a look on the blog site, you'll understand.
Discovery
Again, this is diversified. The reader almost always discovers, and usually the topic being discussed is a moment of epiphany or discovery for the individual.
Resources:
This text lacks in resources of the Schmoop kind, so to say. But, I really don't think you need them. Each individual photo has it's own devices, each speech has it's own flair. You can pick and choose what you want to talk about, there's so much variety. If you're into playing the Devil's Advocate, there's lots of criticism for HONY online. Here's an article I like though, about the way audience's are affected by HONY.

Speeches
Spoiler
Hugh Evan’s TED Talk - Global Citizenship
The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination by JK Rowling
Ronald Reagan: Challenger Speech (Recording)(Transcript)

Drama/Plays
Spoiler
Samuel Beckett’s Waiting for Godot
Oscar Wilde’s the Importance of Being Ernest

Essays
Spoiler
George Orwell’s Shooting an Elephant

English Teacher's Association Resource
Spoiler
This is a resource I found online from the ETA. It suggests some related texts, but also suggests ways to go about approaching them. It might be useful for you! If you think it might be worth it, the link is here.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:30:26 pm by jamonwindeyer »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
Re: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:52:27 am »
Awesome :) I just had to go through the struggle of finding a related text for my prescribed text and I ended up with The Messenger by Markus *ZUSAK* (Might wanna fix that up buddy :P)

It'll be a huge help for those looking for texts especially if you continue on the contextual analysis you've provided for the novels so far :)

Awesome

Regards, Wales
Heavy Things :(

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:06:31 am »
Awesome :) I just had to go through the struggle of finding a related text for my prescribed text and I ended up with The Messenger by Markus *ZUSAK* (Might wanna fix that up buddy :P)

It'll be a huge help for those looking for texts especially if you continue on the contextual analysis you've provided for the novels so far :)

Awesome

Regards, Wales

Ahh! Thanks for letting me know. I've fixed it up now. Please let me know if you come across any great resources, I'd love to get your perspective to add in here! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

armtistic

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 11:07:16 am »
Maybe you could add UP(2009) to the films. I'm using it as my related text and I feel like it is a good text to link to discoveries of the self (Carl's rediscovery of compassion and companionship after these ideals died with his wife's passing) and renewed perceptions of others as well ideas such as the impact of youth and loss on the process of discovery.  :)
ATAR: 99.70

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 11:28:00 am »
+1
Maybe you could add UP(2009) to the films. I'm using it as my related text and I feel like it is a good text to link to discoveries of the self (Carl's rediscovery of compassion and companionship after these ideals died with his wife's passing) and renewed perceptions of others as well ideas such as the impact of youth and loss on the process of discovery.  :)

Hey hey! I don't want to discourage you from doing UP if it is working well for you and your teacher hasn't raised any concerns. However i'd be a bit careful about using a mainstream children's text like this. Unfortunately, even though these films can present some really good themes and techniques, a lot of the markers have an implicit bias towards Disney/Pixar texts. They sometimes see them as unsophisticated and "easy" (even though in my opinion that is absolutely not true). In my case, one of my back up related texts was Finding Nemo (been to a filmmaking lecture where we studied this so I thought I could cut some corners hahaha), and I was heavily discouraged from using this by my teacher. I thought that since I analysed it differently from most people - focusing more in the internal journey rather than the physical (I went really in depth with the psychology of Bruce the shark ngl) - that it would be fine, but it was still too big of a risk for my teacher to let me continue. Both Finding Nemo and UP are really common related texts, so you have to present a super unique argument in order to stand out.

Again, if this is working well for you right now and neither your teacher or yourself can see any glaring issues then keep doing what you're doing! The ways you have related UP to discovery are good, and I'm definitely no expert in English, just giving you my experience :) Just keep this stuff in mind. It might be beneficial to quickly learn a second related just in case.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

armtistic

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 09:14:49 pm »
Hey hey! I don't want to discourage you from doing UP if it is working well for you and your teacher hasn't raised any concerns. However i'd be a bit careful about using a mainstream children's text like this. Unfortunately, even though these films can present some really good themes and techniques, a lot of the markers have an implicit bias towards Disney/Pixar texts. They sometimes see them as unsophisticated and "easy" (even though in my opinion that is absolutely not true). In my case, one of my back up related texts was Finding Nemo (been to a filmmaking lecture where we studied this so I thought I could cut some corners hahaha), and I was heavily discouraged from using this by my teacher. I thought that since I analysed it differently from most people - focusing more in the internal journey rather than the physical (I went really in depth with the psychology of Bruce the shark ngl) - that it would be fine, but it was still too big of a risk for my teacher to let me continue. Both Finding Nemo and UP are really common related texts, so you have to present a super unique argument in order to stand out.

Again, if this is working well for you right now and neither your teacher or yourself can see any glaring issues then keep doing what you're doing! The ways you have related UP to discovery are good, and I'm definitely no expert in English, just giving you my experience :) Just keep this stuff in mind. It might be beneficial to quickly learn a second related just in case.

Oh dear :o thanks for the heads up.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 09:28:45 pm »
+2

Oh dear :o thanks for the heads up.

No worries! It is very annoying how picky the markers can be :(
If you need any help finding a replacement related text though feel free to message me, or have a look around the forums :) A lot of people have posted their notes/essays with other related texts which will all work really well!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

armtistic

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 03:36:22 pm »
No worries! It is very annoying how picky the markers can be :(
If you need any help finding a replacement related text though feel free to message me, or have a look around the forums :) A lot of people have posted their notes/essays with other related texts which will all work really well!

So my teacher just returned from her vacation and replied with:

"Don't do an animated film because you can't really discuss technicalities like camera angle/ movement, lighting, editing and so forth because there are literally no camera or lights. It's all drawn, so discussion will sound contrived. Plus, yes, they are a little immature. "

As she is marking the essay and, as you mentioned, the HSC markers themselves are not prone to look favourably upon UP, I plan to rewrite the essay with a new related text.

To cut losses short ideally I'd like to retain my work on the prescribed text Away and stick to the question I was trying to answer:

“Experiencing beyond our horizons, deliberately or otherwise, allows us to achieve greater understandings and form renewed perceptions of ourselves and others.” To what degree do your texts support this statement?

This is what my intro looks like at the moment with a line through the stuff related to the old text:

We often find that venturing beyond our own horizons as well as experiencing the worlds of others, leads to self-realization and catalyses transformations in ourselves and those we meet. Michael Gow’s Away and Pete Docter’s UP both demonstrate that it is through the prodigious and inquisitive nature of youth that discoveries are made or precipitated but whilst Gow argues the necessity of understanding or undergoing loss and recovery in order to renew ourselves, Docter focuses on the impact of loss on our perceptions of the world and the need to move on in order to make new discoveries. Studied together, these texts demonstrate that it is delving outside our comfort zones that allow a discovery to be genuinely enriching. An appreciation of what these composers sensitively explore allows us to recognize that the desire to discover and the process of discovery are equally vital in instigating greater understandings and renewed perceptions of ourselves and others.

Basically I'm searching for a text that contains ideas like how youth can undergo or trigger discoveries and also that understanding and overcoming loss/suffering or hearing about the suffering of others allows new discoveries (in Away I discussed them in the form of like self realisations which lead to transformations, I mean, losses are often transformative right?)

Anyway, sorry about the specificity but I was wondering if you could help me find a text that would allow me to explore the ideas above?^

Thank you so much for your help  :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:39:51 pm by armtistic »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 12:24:04 am »

"Don't do an animated film because you can't really discuss technicalities like camera angle/ movement, lighting, editing and so forth because there are literally no camera or lights. It's all drawn, so discussion will sound contrived. Plus, yes, they are a little immature. "

As she is marking the essay and, as you mentioned, the HSC markers themselves are not prone to look favourably upon UP, I plan to rewrite the essay with a new related text.

To cut losses short ideally I'd like to retain my work on the prescribed text Away and stick to the question I was trying to answer:

“Experiencing beyond our horizons, deliberately or otherwise, allows us to achieve greater understandings and form renewed perceptions of ourselves and others.” To what degree do your texts support this statement?

This is what my intro looks like at the moment with a line through the stuff related to the old text:

We often find that venturing beyond our own horizons as well as experiencing the worlds of others, leads to self-realization and catalyses transformations in ourselves and those we meet. Michael Gow’s Away and Pete Docter’s UP both demonstrate that it is through the prodigious and inquisitive nature of youth that discoveries are made or precipitated but whilst Gow argues the necessity of understanding or undergoing loss and recovery in order to renew ourselves, Docter focuses on the impact of loss on our perceptions of the world and the need to move on in order to make new discoveries. Studied together, these texts demonstrate that it is delving outside our comfort zones that allow a discovery to be genuinely enriching. An appreciation of what these composers sensitively explore allows us to recognize that the desire to discover and the process of discovery are equally vital in instigating greater understandings and renewed perceptions of ourselves and others.

Basically I'm searching for a text that contains ideas like how youth can undergo or trigger discoveries and also that understanding and overcoming loss/suffering or hearing about the suffering of others allows new discoveries (in Away I discussed them in the form of like self realisations which lead to transformations, I mean, losses are often transformative right?)

Anyway, sorry about the specificity but I was wondering if you could help me find a text that would allow me to explore the ideas above?^

That explanation from your teacher is kind of funny; of course you can still discuss camera shots and frames! Like, a close up on an animated eye is still a close up right? Anyways... ;)

Yep, sounds like a good plan, especially if she is marking it, definitely roll with her opinions. I think there are definitely texts in the list above that match your conceptual ideas; read some of Elyse's synopsis and maybe look up some plot summaries on some of the films! Failing that, see if you can dig up anything from The Immigrant Chronicle by Peter Skrzynecki, it's a prescribed text (a collection of poems) from the old study design that actually works quite well with Discovery. It's about a Polish migrant child who is struggling with the dichotomy of their Polish and Australian identities; the character and themes could mesh nicely with your prescribed? Worth a look in any case :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 02:45:20 am »
+1

Perks of Being a Wallflower. Perks of Being a Wallflower. Perks of Being a Wallflower.

It fits sooooo well with the arguments you are describing, and pretty easy to get done, and done well, even with limited time. Perks is the related text that I studied, so I'm more than happy to have a chat with you about it to help you get started if you are interested :) My notes for it are also in the 'notes' section of ATARNotes.

As Jamon said, theres going to be tonnes on the list as well that fit that theme, but I definitely rate the Perks of Being a Wallflower (either the novel or the film).

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 10:38:32 am »
+1
Perks of Being a Wallflower. Perks of Being a Wallflower. Perks of Being a Wallflower.

It fits sooooo well with the arguments you are describing, and pretty easy to get done, and done well, even with limited time. Perks is the related text that I studied, so I'm more than happy to have a chat with you about it to help you get started if you are interested :) My notes for it are also in the 'notes' section of ATARNotes.

As Jamon said, theres going to be tonnes on the list as well that fit that theme, but I definitely rate the Perks of Being a Wallflower (either the novel or the film).

OHH I'VE READ THAT HOW DID I NOT PICK THAT UP! Yep, this is absolutely what you should look at first armtistic!

armtistic

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 11:17:18 am »

These sound like very enthusiastic recommendations  ;D
Normally I'd read the novel but I think I'll stick to the film to make up for time lost and just for some variety from written texts :D
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll go find the movie and read your notes and take you up on that chat if you're free tomorrow.

Thanks again!  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 11:38:00 am »

Normally I'd read the novel but I think I'll stick to the film to make up for time lost and just for some variety from written texts :D
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll go find the movie and read your notes and take you up on that chat if you're free tomorrow.

Thanks again!  ;D

Picking a film and using some visual techniques in contrast to the literary techniques from your prescribed will probably work a little better anyway, gives some variety! :) best of luck ;D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 11:46:56 am »

Thanks again!  ;D

Definitely free tomorrow to discuss :) I agree with Jamon the film is probably the best way to go. My notes are for the novel, but the film and the novel are so close that they will still work fine, just need to add a few film techniques into the mix  ;)

samuels1999

• Adventurer
  • "Expectation is the root of all heartache." -W.S.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 09:38:04 pm »
Hi Elyse or Jason,

I just wanted to know if doing a related text that is not necessarily in english (but the subtitles are) is ok.
The text I am referring to is:"Unsung Hero" (Official HD) : TVC Thai Life Insurance

The youtube link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWA2GbcnJU

Thanks,
Samuel
"If you can't explain it simply, you do not understand it well enough" -Albert Einstein
Year 12 2017
Subjects: Adv. English, Mathematics, Mathematics Ext 1, Modern History, Physics, Design and Technology
....yeah....its a pretty odd bunch