Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:31:17 pm

Author Topic: UNSW LAT/Law admission test results??  (Read 12451 times)  Share 

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
UNSW LAT/Law admission test results??
« on: November 20, 2016, 12:19:22 am »
Since I can't find anything else on this topic on the forums, did anyone else do the LAT this year? How did you guys find it & feel free to share your results below!

I got 83/100 and 91st percentile, but of course since this first time it's ever been run... no idea if that will be up to scratch :/

Thoughts? Feelings?
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: UNSW LAT/Law admission test results??
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:23:29 am »
Since I can't find anything else on this topic on the forums, did anyone else do the LAT this year? How did you guys find it & feel free to share your results below!

I got 83/100 and 91st percentile, but of course since this first time it's ever been run... no idea if that will be up to scratch :/

Thoughts? Feelings?

Probably the most important thought; well done! Far out, that's an awesome result for what I am sure was a difficult test, especially given it was the first time it was run! You should be super proud ;D

91% sounds competitive to me, that in conjunction with a strong ATAR would definitely seem up to scratch! I have my fingers crossed for you in any case!

If you end up at UNSW, the Kebab Shop on Upper Campus is shit, go to the one in the Quad ;)

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 12:27:47 am »
Probably the most important thought; well done! Far out, that's an awesome result for what I am sure was a difficult test, especially given it was the first time it was run! You should be super proud ;D

91% sounds competitive to me, that in conjunction with a strong ATAR would definitely seem up to scratch! I have my fingers crossed for you in any case!

If you end up at UNSW, the Kebab Shop on Upper Campus is shit, go to the one in the Quad ;)

Aw thanks Jamon! I sure hope so. Man, the only thing I miss about the HSC is chatting to you guys around the forums ;D And I will be sure to keep your tips in mind haha :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 12:34:10 am »
Aw thanks Jamon! I sure hope so. Man, the only thing I miss about the HSC is chatting to you guys around the forums ;D And I will be sure to keep your tips in mind haha :)

We miss chatting to you guys too! We'll be eagerly awaiting your results ;D make sure you stop in if you have any questions about uni and such (Jake studies Law at UNSW, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you had about it or Law in general) ;D

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 01:41:05 pm »
We miss chatting to you guys too! We'll be eagerly awaiting your results ;D make sure you stop in if you have any questions about uni and such (Jake studies Law at UNSW, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you had about it or Law in general) ;D

Absolutely! Feel free to shoot any questions through :)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 01:58:21 pm »
+1

And hey, just because you've said "HSCyalater" doesn't mean that you have to stop using AN and chatting to people around the forums.   ;D

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 06:22:04 pm »
Absolutely! Feel free to shoot any questions through :)

I've heard the law degree at UNSW is more practically based than USYD, did you personally find that? Also is it a good environment to learn in? (I've never been there but I'm keen to feel its general vibe. I base my uni choices off vibez yes)

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 06:24:30 pm »
And hey, just because you've said "HSCyalater" doesn't mean that you have to stop using AN and chatting to people around the forums.   ;D

True that! I definitely should pass on some of this "wisdom" haha!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 06:38:49 pm »
I've heard the law degree at UNSW is more practically based than USYD, did you personally find that? Also is it a good environment to learn in? (I've never been there but I'm keen to feel its general vibe. I base my uni choices off vibez yes)
Well, I was told (from a campus tour) that the law library has been, in different years, awarded the best AND the WORST buildings ever designed.

If you look close enough at UNSW law building, apart from windows and what not you'll find that the whole thing has no right angles.

Still, the only annoying thing about it is that it's always full. It's a beautiful building.

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 07:12:41 pm »

I wouldn't necessarily say that Law is 'more practical' (although open book exams sure are nice!). However, the learning environment is just objectively better. Classes range from 20 to 40 people, as opposed to massive lecture halls filled with zombies (ie. USyd). Lecturers care about all of their students, and actively respond to questions. You are encouraged to (in fact, you are graded on) contribute to class discussion.

Also, there are sick vibes.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 09:43:04 am »
Hey guys,

Sooo... my LAT result was pretty shocking; much worse than I thought it would be. But I'm kinda confused as to what I should do; and it has made me question whether I really wanted to do law in the first place or I just followed what most people at my school wanted to do.
Does anyone have any tips on finding the right degree, cos I'm kinda panicked now!!!
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 09:53:22 am »
Hey guys,

Sooo... my LAT result was pretty shocking; much worse than I thought it would be. But I'm kinda confused as to what I should do; and it has made me question whether I really wanted to do law in the first place or I just followed what most people at my school wanted to do.
Does anyone have any tips on finding the right degree, cos I'm kinda panicked now!!!
Remember that law must inevitably be done as a double degree. There is no single degree option, and if you pick law at the enrolment phase they will ask you what you want to combine with.

Also remember that you make your timetable at uni and choose what you want to do. So even if you back out on it you can just stop doing law courses. And then at the first opportunity, apply for internal program transfer.

So the point is, if you're confused there isn't harm in just picking it anyway because you can always work your way back out.

However, if you're feeling doubts about wanting to do law, what are your alternatives? Or are you asking because you're unsure of alternatives? (There's more tips to give but the biggest one is to do something you reckon you would like)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:30:33 am by RuiAce »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 08:41:02 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

I wrote this article on some things you might want to consider!

As Rui has said, don't feel too pressured by this decision. So many people transfer internally at uni, finishing in the exact same degree you started in is actually not as common as you think! Swapping majors or adding a double, etc etc, are quite common ;D

To be honest, if the first thing you think of when considering Law is that "most people in my school were doing it," it's probably worth reconsidering your choice. I mean, if Law interests you then by all means go for it, but you shouldn't follow the crowd. That never leads to anything good. Law is one of those degrees that quite a few people take and then drop, just because it's the "done thing" and then people get there and want to do something else. I mean that happens in every degree, but you get the point ;D

What sort of job do you see yourself in for the future? You shouldn't necessarily choose your degree for the job, but where do you see yourself in 10 years? What skills do you need to get there? What degree can give you those skills?

As a final note, remember that degrees aren't job specific (for the most part). Plenty of Engineers end up in the Business world. People who do Commerce degrees can end up working in an engineering firm. You aren't doing your degree for a job, you are doing it for a skill set, and skills are pretty versatile ;)