Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 11:27:19 pm

Author Topic: Getting or Not Getting into Law  (Read 10784 times)  Share 

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
Re: Getting or Not Getting into Law
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 04:47:15 pm »
+5
I hadn't considered doing a science degree at USYD and then doing an internal transfer - I suppose I'm just worried about the case where my performance in the degree is not enough to guarantee me a transfer (especially since transfers to law will also be incredibly competitive), and then I'll have wasted my time.
Is there any reason you place doing an internal transfer rather than a transfer from another uni?

Hey there mate :)

Sort of the same advice I gave to Paige in this same post, but from what I have fathered from a lot of other people who have transferred; it is usually harder to transfer from one law school to another; mainly because law in itself is an incredibly hard and demanding subject that often doesn't reward you with many marks (just my opinion, not applicable to everyone - many HD students out there). But for the vast majority, credit is the norm for law students. The entry requirement to transfer into law for most unis is around a distinction which is sometimes easier to attain in non-law subjects. Just remember that getting into any law school is highly competitive whether its through UAC fresh outta high school or transferring internally/externally. But it is definitely easier to transfer (75 average wam is much more attainable than a 99+ atar).

Also I highly recommend transferring internally because it gives you a year in your other degree to test out the waters of uni. What I mean by this is you experience uni life an dyour other degree and can decide whether or not you wanna pursue law. Further it allows you to get into the rhythm of uni and adjust to law school better than a year 12 graduate. This extra year gives you so much more experience that will really help you if you transfer into law.

Hope this helps and is somewhat coherent/relevant :D
Isaac

Hey, just wondering about my situation

I am wanting to do a law/journalism type double degree, with my first preference at UTS and second at maquarie. If I am unable to enter either course, would I be better off going to western sydney uni to do the double degree there, or go to either macquaire or uts and begin with just journalism?

Hi Paige,

This really depends on where you have your heart set on for law school. If you prefer the environment at UTS for both law and journalism then I would highly recommend starting your degree in journalism at UTS then transferring over. This is mainly because a law degree is hard at every university and to get good marks in law is sometimes harder than getting good marks in other subjects. However, dont dismiss western sydney un or macquarie; judge whether or not you like the vibe/the way they teach law/journalism and see if you would rather complete your whole degree there; or transfer.

What are your reasons for going to UTS/Macquarie/Western and judge whether or not starting at UTS and potentially finishing a year later is worth it.

tl;dr transferring law schools is usually harder than transferring internally from journalism into journalism/law - again, this highly depends on the person.

But yes that's just my opinion; please let me know if you have any more questions or if this wasn't clear enough (it was a bit rushed i'm sorry)
Isaac :D

HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 05:18:15 pm »
+2
Hey there mate :)

Sort of the same advice I gave to Paige in this same post, but from what I have fathered from a lot of other people who have transferred; it is usually harder to transfer from one law school to another; mainly because law in itself is an incredibly hard and demanding subject that often doesn't reward you with many marks (just my opinion, not applicable to everyone - many HD students out there). But for the vast majority, credit is the norm for law students. The entry requirement to transfer into law for most unis is around a distinction which is sometimes easier to attain in non-law subjects. Just remember that getting into any law school is highly competitive whether its through UAC fresh outta high school or transferring internally/externally. But it is definitely easier to transfer (75 average wam is much more attainable than a 99+ atar).

Also I highly recommend transferring internally because it gives you a year in your other degree to test out the waters of uni. What I mean by this is you experience uni life an dyour other degree and can decide whether or not you wanna pursue law. Further it allows you to get into the rhythm of uni and adjust to law school better than a year 12 graduate. This extra year gives you so much more experience that will really help you if you transfer into law.

Hope this helps and is somewhat coherent/relevant :D
Isaac

Hi Paige,

This really depends on where you have your heart set on for law school. If you prefer the environment at UTS for both law and journalism then I would highly recommend starting your degree in journalism at UTS then transferring over. This is mainly because a law degree is hard at every university and to get good marks in law is sometimes harder than getting good marks in other subjects. However, dont dismiss western sydney un or macquarie; judge whether or not you like the vibe/the way they teach law/journalism and see if you would rather complete your whole degree there; or transfer.

What are your reasons for going to UTS/Macquarie/Western and judge whether or not starting at UTS and potentially finishing a year later is worth it.

tl;dr transferring law schools is usually harder than transferring internally from journalism into journalism/law - again, this highly depends on the person.

But yes that's just my opinion; please let me know if you have any more questions or if this wasn't clear enough (it was a bit rushed i'm sorry)
Isaac :D

Thanks so much for that!

In regards to your question about my preferences, that is what makes it hard. Firstly thought I should say that I have wanted to do journalism since year 7, but after completing legal studies I really wanna do both now!

UTS - the atar is practically impossible for me to get (97.55) especially with no bonus points or entry scheme I qualify for, but I still put it as #1 incase I magically get a spot

Macquarie - the campus and proximity to where I live is absolutely PERFECT! I am inlove with the campus so much, but I know I cannot just judge on that alone ;D the ATAR is also high at Macquarie, BUT, they have so many entry schemes that I qualify for and all i need is a b6 in legal/pd and a 35+ in ext1/2 english to get in! So it is looking likely as long as I do not screw up

WSU - put this down just as a back up, whilst atar is high, their new entry scheme makes it very easy to get in for myself so yeah! Although travel would be a trekkkkk cause i live on the northern beaches haha

it is tricky cause having to do a sixth year of uni doesnt appeal to me too much
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

asd987

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 02:28:16 pm »
hey i was wondering if anyone knows what the minimum atar i would need to get into law at usyd. i got dux at my school so i can apply for the future leaders scheme. i wont get a 99.5 atar, hopefully i can touch around the 90 mark

vincentorogan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 02:15:58 pm »
Hey just a question,
Could someone please clarify these HSC Subject Requirements for the WSU True Reward Program?
Yes I do Legal Studies but am only doing English (Standard), Do I qualify for the subject requirements?

Any 1 of Legal Studies, English Extension 1 or English Extension 2 OR Legal Studies AND English Advanced
-Currently Studying:
*English (Standard)
*Mathematics General 2
*Business Studies
*Legal Studies
*Retail Services

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 02:35:48 pm »
+2
hey i was wondering if anyone knows what the minimum atar i would need to get into law at usyd. i got dux at my school so i can apply for the future leaders scheme. i wont get a 99.5 atar, hopefully i can touch around the 90 mark

Hey! There really isn't a minimum, being dux will help you as a more competitive candidate, it is a very competitive course though - Any reason you wouldn't consider another university? USYD is the hardest to get into for law so might be good to have a backup? ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 02:37:30 pm »
+1
Hey just a question,
Could someone please clarify these HSC Subject Requirements for the WSU True Reward Program?
Yes I do Legal Studies but am only doing English (Standard), Do I qualify for the subject requirements?

Welcome to the forums!

Jeez - What a confusing way to put it across. It seems like it is:

- 1 out of Legal, EX1, EX2
 OR
- Legal AND Advanced

So I think you qualify through the first condition, but really I'm not sure either - Might be worth calling them and asking? :)

LegalEagle24/7

• Trailblazer
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 05:27:51 pm »
Hey there,

Regarding law school, I would highly consider doing your research and finding which uni and law/science faculties suit you personally. you might not like the environment of USYD or UNSW; prestige should not be the motivating factor when choosing. That being said, if you did want to do your degree at USYD or UNSW. I would highly consider starting your science degree at one of those and then internally transferring. The cut off is usually around a distinction (dont quote me on this) which is incredibly easier to achieve than it is to get the highly inflated atar of 99 whatever. Also doing an internal transfer gives you that year to test the waters of the uni and your science degree so you know if you actually want to transfer.

There are many other things for you to consider if you do a post grad degree - such as the finances, the course load of having full time law as opposed to a mix of science and law. Etc. definitely have a look at your different options and know that there are many other entry pathways into law than just the first round offer and atar.

Let me know if you have any other questions; there are heaps of people on here who are happy and willing to help you out here :D

Hey :),
I really want to study law at USyd but don't like sciences anymore. Is there a possibility I could study journalism/law instead? Or does that also require an atar of 99? Also, are there scholarships for it? Thanks xx