Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:47:56 pm

Author Topic: RMIT engineering enquiries  (Read 5295 times)  Share 

eth-dog

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: The Citadel
  • School Grad Year: 2016
RMIT engineering enquiries
« on: December 17, 2016, 03:40:11 pm »
Hey guys

Ive heard that the first two years in engineering at RMIT is very similar, this allows for easy transferring between different engineering fields if your mind hasn't been fully made up. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? Or is only certain engineering fields similar during the start.

Also if your grades during your first year of uni are good enough, are you able to take up another course i.e business or something?

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
Re: RMIT engineering enquiries
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 10:02:22 pm »
Ive heard that the first two years in engineering at RMIT is very similar, this allows for easy transferring between different engineering fields if your mind hasn't been fully made up. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? Or is only certain engineering fields similar during the start.

This is from my experience, but I would say that the first year is quite similar among all engineering disciplines, 2nd year is kind of similar but specialized subjects are introduced and third and fourth years are quite different overall.
I did biomed eng, and in my first year I shared subjects with other engineering disciplines like Engineering maths, physics, and mechanics, but I would say that where the similarity ended, I also did 3-4 bio subjects which I don't think the other degrees did. But i'm sure Civil, mechanical, electrical, etc all would have had their differences as well. Most of the subjects in first year provide a theoretical foundation in maths and physics which also extend to 2nd year. So if you were to transfer from one engineering degree to another within the first 2 years, it should be quite smooth in those areas; you would just struggle a little bit in those specialized areas. But then again, specialized subjects in the first 2 years of engineering are more 'introductory' than anything, so you should be fine learning them if you ever choose to transfer.

Also if your grades during your first year of uni are good enough, are you able to take up another course i.e business or something?

I believe that would be a matter of discussion with your program coordinator. When I wanted to choose another course I talked to my prog-coordinator and she looked at my grades and decided I could handle a 5th subject so I had to sign an elective form with the elective I wanted, in which she signed and I handed in.

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr