Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 10:14:36 am

Author Topic: a question on guaranteed entry  (Read 2662 times)  Share 

likeneverbefore

• Adventurer
  • Finding will to studyyy
  • Respect: 0
a question on guaranteed entry
« on: December 20, 2016, 01:08:51 am »
Hi all!
I was lucky enough to receive a guaranteed entry into combined actuarial at UNSW.
my preferences listed on Uac :
-med at unsw
-combined actuarial at unsw

As im still waiting on the potential possibility of an interview offer, do i accept the guaranteed entry? or wait?

is there a difference between guaranteed entry and a normal offer?

thank youuu!!!

jack

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: a question on guaranteed entry
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 01:25:20 am »
Hi all!
I was lucky enough to receive a guaranteed entry into combined actuarial at UNSW.
my preferences listed on Uac :
-med at unsw
-combined actuarial at unsw

As im still waiting on the potential possibility of an interview offer, do i accept the guaranteed entry? or wait?

is there a difference between guaranteed entry and a normal offer?

thank youuu!!!

jack

Hey Jack! I've not had personal experience with this, but I think UNSW Guaranteed Entry is basically just them saying; 'You will definitely get an offer for this preference.' Does that sound right to you? So in your case, it guarantees that you'll at least get your second preference.

In which case, this paragraph from their site sums it up:

The only way we can guarantee you a place is if you have the Guaranteed Selection Rank and you have the degree listed as your highest eligible preference. That doesn’t mean to say you have to change your preferences. We would always advise students to remember UAC will make them one offer only in each round so they need to put the degree they want to study the most at the top, followed by their plan B, C, D etc as you go down the list.

Still waiting on an offer for your first preference? That's okay. Just remember that if you meet the entry requirements of any degrees placed above your Guaranteed Entry degree in your preference list, then you will receive an offer to that degree and not the Guaranteed Entry degree in the Main Round - so remember to order your preferences carefully

So, you can leave your preferences as is. If you everything goes well for Medicine (assuming you want that more?) you will get that offer. If not, you'll definitely get one for Actuarial in the Main Round.

Note: Guaranteed entry is gone after Main Round offers, so be careful! After that everything is just normal again.

Definitely subject to inaccuracy. Your best bet for 100% accurate advice is probably a quick call to the Future Students Office ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
a question on guaranteed entry
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 04:47:54 pm »
You forget that I was there Jamon

However that is correct :)

Guaranteed entry only relates to main round offers. It is nothing more than UNSW's way of saying if you want this degree, and can't get any of the above, then you've gotten that one for sure.

If med stays, then if you get into med you get into that (one offer every round). But if med goes and actl stays, actl is guaranteed and you can start preparing for it
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:52:39 pm by RuiAce »

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 09:56:51 pm »
Hey guys,
I'm really confused over this whole admissions process... I got an email saying I got guaranteed entry into a course; but now I have realised that I REALLY don't want to do that course. If I change my preferences, does that... negate... the guaranteed entry??
I have no idea what I'm doing.
Thank yoouu
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 10:00:13 pm »
Hey guys,
I'm really confused over this whole admissions process... I got an email saying I got guaranteed entry into a course; but now I have realised that I REALLY don't want to do that course. If I change my preferences, does that... negate... the guaranteed entry??
I have no idea what I'm doing.
Thank yoouu
I'm not of the belief that this is the case.

They calculate guaranteed entry off literally the only two things that matter: The prescribed guarantee entry cut-off, and your bonus points. If combining your bonus points you meet the cut-off for that other degree then you should be able to receive guaranteed entry for it as well.