Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 08:31:47 am

Author Topic: Reusing Application Essays/Answers  (Read 1279 times)  Share 

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
Reusing Application Essays/Answers
« on: December 26, 2016, 06:20:49 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm not exactly sure where to post this but....
I applied for the Robertson Scholarship at UNSW for a scholarship to Duke University in the United States. However, I also have to complete the common application to gain admission to Duke and other American universities.
I'm thinking of reusing and slightly modifying one of my answers from the scholarship application for the common application essay. Is this a bad idea?
I'm not exactly sure if the scholarship is reviewed and chosen by UNSW or Duke, so I am unsure if I should use the same answer across the 2 applications .... what are everyone's thoughts on this?
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Reusing Application Essays/Answers
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 06:43:32 pm »
Tough one Isaac. I won't give a definitive answer here as I'm not sure but I'll add some comments for you to consider.

Is there a risk? Sure, there's bound to be some due to the uncertainty. It's probably not the first thing you'd do.

But being honest here. Scholarships are offered by other parties that are only associated with the uni, usually. Most of the time the people who check your scholarship applications have virtually no affiliation with the people interested in university administration. You're more likely to be in the clear, and safe for this option.

But that's in general, because sometimes it IS viewed by a similar bunch. To which then, well I don't know unfortunately