Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:26:41 am

Author Topic: UNSW 2018 - Law Admissions Test  (Read 9308 times)  Share 

HannahHurst

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
UNSW 2018 - Law Admissions Test
« on: February 28, 2017, 10:39:34 am »
Just looking for a bit of help in regards to the Law Admissions Test (LAT) that is required by UNSW. What does the test involve/is based on and how can I prepare for it?

Thanks heaps!!  ;D ;D

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: UNSW 2018 - Law Admissions Test
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 04:51:20 pm »
+1
Just looking for a bit of help in regards to the Law Admissions Test (LAT) that is required by UNSW. What does the test involve/is based on and how can I prepare for it?

Thanks heaps!!  ;D ;D

Hey!

My main recommendation is to look out for information sessions held later in the year regarding the LAT. The LAT is still in development (last year was the first year it was run!), but it seems to be in the form of essay-writing. It focuses on analytical thinking, ability to sting sentences together, form an argument etc. No real prior knowledge is required, so no study is possible. I know many people who sat the LAT, got a mark that they thought was terrible (ie. 70s, 80s) but made it into the course. Basically, we have no idea how it's assessed, or how much it weighs in on the decision to get into Law school, or anything.

That's all the info I have!

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:29:29 pm »
+3

Thanks heaps!!  ;D ;D

Hey HannahHurst,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you - I have been asking people in my cohort what their take was and how they prepared.

Soo, I am currently a first year law student at UNSW which means I sat the LAT and got in through it. This is my take on it influenced by a few others and is no means a definite perspective on the LAT and the ways to prepare.

Firstly what the LAT is - it is the test that is compulsory for entry to Dual law at UNSW.
It is a 2 hour exam in which you write 2 essays.

The first essay is about you responding to an opinion piece. You are given a piece of writing - article, blog post etc. in which you must evaluate how the author creates an argument, evaluate the strengths and weaknesses and asses and how effective that argument/ will the author succeed in persuading an argument - something along these lines.

I found that this section was very similar to the VCE Language Analysis Essay. I'm not entirely sure how the VCE works but this one part of the exam is very similar to the LAT question 1. It would be very helpful to do some of those practice questions which I'm sure you can find here on AtarNotes, ask questions on the Language Analysis Forums and even submit essays.
Another place you can find practice material - they will not be 100% similar but good for practice since there is very limited resources available- is the SAT essay component. Yes, I know that the SAT is an American exam, but there are many practice resources online purely because this test has been around for ages. The essay component is very similar to the LAT question 1 and is worth taking a look at.

Section 2 of the exam gives you a variety of sources that you should incorporate into an essay. I was very thrown by this question as I was not really comfortable or used to using sources. From people that I've asked, they said history and in particular extension history helped many of my friends gain very high LAT scores - so for this question, it is probably worth asking around on the AtarNotes History forums how to integrate sources into an essay and more specifically how to use them to enhance your argument. This question tests your clarity, expressiveness and succinctness as well as judging how persuasive your writing is.

Also, the biggest thing that I remember freaking me out.. was the fact that I had to put a title on my essays, and one that had to "indicate my stance" - I was thrown by this because for years I had never had to title an essay.. I spent a long time trying to come up with a pun for the title - not the best idea. So proper time management is essential (2 hours seems like a long time since hsc makes us write 3 essays in 2 hours, but if you didn't prepare and have no experience with either essay question then 2 hours seems like not enough). Another thing is that there was no extra writing paper.

Lastly, how the LAT is used.
There is a lot of contention over how offers were made and to be completely honest I have no idea. From my limited understanding UNSW uses the LAT in combination with your ATAR to determine if you get an offer. That being a high LAT score would boost your atar (using whatever scale they have) and put you in a competitive position for offers. There was an article posted about the LAT which said that the median atar was 98 and the median LAT was 74 - please keep in mind that this was most probably not the same person. Also, don't consider your percentile that much - I got 50th percentile and thought I had no chance of getting into law - this was because no one had done LAT before or knew how it operated, the only other entry exam into a course was the UMAT which has rumours of a 90+ percentile being the only way to get in.

Hope these help!! This was a much longer answer than i thought it would be, sorry about that but if anyone else who did LAT this year has any opinions that would be great, these are just my narrow minded opinions from a person who forgot about the LAT and showed up and sat the test  :P
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:45:06 am by isaacdelatorre »
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

rachelmassar

• Adventurer
  • School: Rouse Hill Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 03:18:28 pm »
+1
Hey HannahHurst,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you - I have been asking people in my cohort what their take was and how they prepared.

Soo, I am currently a first year law student at UNSW which means I sat the LAT and got in through it. This is my take on it influenced by a few others and is no means a definite perspective on the LAT and the ways to prepare.

Firstly what the LAT is - it is the test that is compulsory for entry to Dual law at UNSW.
It is a 2 hour exam in which you write 2 essays.

The first essay is about you responding to an opinion piece. You are given a piece of writing - article, blog post etc. in which you must evaluate how the author creates an argument, evaluate the strengths and weaknesses and asses and how effective that argument/ will the author succeed in persuading an argument - something along these lines.

I found that this section was very similar to the VCE Language Analysis Essay. I'm not entirely sure how the VCE works but this one part of the exam is very similar to the LAT question 1. It would be very helpful to do some of those practice questions which I'm sure you can find here on AtarNotes, ask questions on the Language Analysis Forums and even submit essays.
Another place you can find practice material - they will not be 100% similar but good for practice since there is very limited resources available- is the SAT essay component. Yes, I know that the SAT is an American exam, but there are many practice resources online purely because this test has been around for ages. The essay component is very similar to the LAT question 1 and is worth taking a look at.

Section 2 of the exam gives you a variety of sources that you should incorporate into an essay. I was very thrown by this question as I was not really comfortable or used to using sources. From people that I've asked, they said history and in particular extension history helped many of my friends gain very high LAT scores - so for this question, it is probably worth asking around on the AtarNotes History forums how to integrate sources into an essay and more specifically how to use them to enhance your argument. This question tests your clarity, expressiveness and succinctness as well as judging how persuasive your writing is.

Also, the biggest thing that I remember freaking me out.. was the fact that I had to put a title on my essays, and one that had to "indicate my stance" - I was thrown by this because for years I had never had to title an essay.. I spent a long time trying to come up with a pun for the title - not the best idea. So proper time management is essential (2 hours seems like a long time since hsc makes us write 3 essays in 2 hours, but if you didn't prepare and have no experience with either essay question then 2 hours seems like not enough). Another thing is that there was no extra writing paper.

Lastly, how the LAT is used.
There is a lot of contention over how offers were made and to be completely honest I have no idea. From my limited understanding UNSW uses the LAT in combination with your ATAR to determine if you get an offer. That being a high LAT score would boost your atar (using whatever scale they have) and put you in a competitive position for offers. There was an article posted about the LAT which said that the median atar was 98 and the median LAT was 74 - please keep in mind that this was most probably not the same person. Also, don't consider your percentile that much - I got 50th percentile and thought I had no chance of getting into law - this was because no one had done LAT before or knew how it operated, the only other entry exam into a course was the UMAT which has rumours of a 90+ percentile being the only way to get in.

Hope these help!! This was a much longer answer than i thought it would be, sorry about that but if anyone else who did LAT this year has any opinions that would be great, these are just my narrow minded opinions from a person who forgot about the LAT and showed up and sat the test  :P

Hey Isaac!!

LAT for this year is on Tuesday, and I wanted to ask for some advice in formulating responses. Any tips from anyone on the Atar Notes team would be super helpful!

Comparable to the types of essays in HSC English Advanced, what's the best structure for an essay like this? Would this be a good example for the 2nd section;

INTRO: thesis statement offering judgement on issue from the start (kind of like a legal studies thesis statement)
- integrated consideration of all sources, acknowledging all briefly

ARGUMENTS: analyse the perspective offered from each source individually
- Would it be worth integrating your arguments a different way to compare the perspective of sources in individual arguments? Or alternately, analyse each and have a paragraph at the end integrating them?

For section 1 - would it be best to structure arguments in terms of its technical features and their effect on persuading the reader, or a different way? I know it's hard to predict what they'll ask, but I'm unsure how to approach it.

For both sections - how appropriate is it to analyse the sources in a literary sense, looking at language techniques such as juxtaposition, metaphors etc? I'm an English person so I'm worried I will delve into a literary analysis when it's not what they're looking for.

Thank you :D

alyssaa

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 12:01:33 pm »
Hey!

I am also just wondering how many paragraphs should be written for the questions? Would 3 paragraphs be good or would it be better to write 4?

Thank you :)