Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:13:32 am

Author Topic: Let's talk about travel  (Read 4883 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Let's talk about travel
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 06:00:53 pm »
+1
Since being overseas, a lot of people have asked me about where I would go in Australia. Uluru and Tasmania are top of my lists now! I hope to go to at least one in the second half of this year. I'd love to know what you'd like to know! I'll write a post up here on AN about it all - what interests you? :)

So many questions :P
1. What was the process? Did you have to get selected etc. Are there many students who do it from UTS? and how are you finding university and the immersion into a different language/culture? And what are your living arrangements, are you living on a campus?

Well, to answer in short (longer blog post to come later, I'll link it here,)...The process is different for everyone. I was still early in my degree when I applied so it wasn't too difficult for me but it gets more difficult the further into your degree you are as you have less flexibility for swapping subjects out. I went to a bunch of info meetings and then researched all the places I could go and chose my top three. There was a lot of paperwork involved, a lot of research. I had to propose exactly which subjects I'd study abroad which meant I had to look at every Uni's subject outlines (tiresome). UTS has a really good exchange program, but I don't know the numbers on exactly how many do it. If you look at UTSglobalexchange (Hashtag and account) on instagram you can see some of the places people are in right now! Immersion into a new culture is tricky in Italy. Some things are quite conservative, and in my opinion, backwards. But, I love the city I live in, Venice. It's so unique and I'm in love with it every single day. I don't live on campus. Living on campus doesn't seem to be super common in Europe, it's more, you live in housing around the Uni but it's not "campus" accommodation so to say. I live in a flat with four other people, two italians, one chinese, one british, and we share a kitchen and have two bathrooms between us. It's very comfortable, actually!

For the original questions:
1. Have you travelled? Where?
In terms of countries, China, Japan, Thailand, USA, Ireland, UK, Italy, France, New Zealand, Fiji, Vatican.
2. What do you think of gaps years for travel?
If you can fund it, perfect!
3. Would you study or work abroad?
For me, this was a better option than a gap year. A lot of things are cheaper as a student and in so many ways, it's like I'm doing a gap semester as supported by my studies.
4. Where would you like to travel? Why? Why not?
Prague...
5. Do you think we take for granted that we live in Australia and not travel it enough?
Yes! I want to go to Tasmania.
6. Is there somewhere you recommend people travel to?
New Zealand is still the most scenic place I've travelled to!
7. What do you like to do when travelling? Are you the museum type? The sightseeing type? The tropical/relaxing type?
All of the above! When I visited Dublin and London, it was go go go all day to fit in absolutely everything. When I visited Napoli in the South of Italy, I had one day of go go go and then the other days were so much more about absorbing and museum-ing. :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Rasika

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Let's talk about travel
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 01:01:47 am »
I really want to travel to France! Especially Nice, gosh, it's my dream
And I might take a gap year after the HSC!

Mod Edit: Post merge, use the Modify button in a browser to modify your posts :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:14:09 am by jamonwindeyer »