Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:47:38 am

Author Topic: Communal University Journey Journal  (Read 147531 times)

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
Re: Communal University Journey Journal
« Reply #330 on: October 25, 2017, 11:54:03 am »
+5
ah realised why i procrastinate so much
i think i have a fear of "oh i didnt do anything all semester no way will i understand content no way" when i just finished a 2 hour lecture in 40 or so minutes , and understood it far better than i ever imagined
i wish i knew this toxic thought process earlier  :'( haha i think getting started is the hardest part for me :O
Uni and life

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #331 on: October 25, 2017, 11:57:37 am »
ah realised why i procrastinate so much
i think i have a fear of "oh i didnt do anything all semester no way will i understand content no way" when i just finished a 2 hour lecture in 40 or so minutes , and understood it far better than i ever imagined
i wish i knew this toxic thought process earlier  :'( haha i think getting started is the hardest part for me :O
So true, getting start is the hardest part of procrastination for many people.
But congratulations for overcoming it now. Just remember you did for whenever you get scared of starting and eventually the fear will just be beaten like taking a breath.
Here is an AN article that could also help you beat procrastination as well .
Are you studying for your exams?
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #332 on: October 25, 2017, 12:07:32 pm »
+3
So true, getting start is the hardest part of procrastination for many people.
But congratulations for overcoming it now. Just remember you did for whenever you get scared of starting and eventually the fear will just be beaten like taking a breath.
Here is an AN article that could also help you beat procrastination as well .
Are you studying for your exams?
yeah!! studying for exams!!
i find i need to over complicate things and just do the work; i think experimenting with everything first year was good as i know what works and what doesn't for me
:P
Uni and life

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2017, 02:00:06 am »
+7
Dealing with the guilt from getting next to no study done in a day is harder than I thought it would be haha

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #334 on: November 10, 2017, 11:47:46 pm »
+9
10th November 2017:
I think I may have just sat my last exam today. Ever.
Guess I find out in a little over three weeks whether that's really the case or not.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

JG97

• Trailblazer
  • It's a weird world out there, Morty.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #335 on: November 16, 2017, 10:10:18 pm »
+5
16 November 2017

I actually forgot to post in a while. Well, it happened guys.
I finished my first year of uni back in October, no exams to do whatsoever. (Knew that writing degree was amazing!)

What a year, or I suppose a few months! Made quite a few friends and really enjoyed my units. Most of them, anyway. Had a news writing course that was pretty suckish come assignment time. It turns out not a lot of people will want to be interviewed by uni students, no matter how many emails get sent back and forth.

All said and done, I feel pretty accomplished. All those essays, short stories and news pieces, finished.
I am so happy for myself. I stayed with it; quite a few across all my classes dropped out midway through.

Bring on 2018!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:15:54 pm by JG97 »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #336 on: March 27, 2018, 08:29:58 am »
+6
I was planning out my degree again last night, since I made the decision to ditch the pure maths major for my degree.

It turns out I might barely enough room to squeeze in a chemistry unit.

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #337 on: April 24, 2018, 07:54:52 pm »
+9
Pretty stoked but I got back an essay I wrote and got 96% on it!! And for a research paper 88/100. So far, so good.
2017: VCE COMPLETED

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #338 on: April 24, 2018, 07:57:05 pm »
+3
Pretty stoked but I got back an essay I wrote and got 96% on it!! And for a research paper 88/100. So far, so good.
Congratulations that's amazing!! :D

(pls tell me your secrets)
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #339 on: April 24, 2018, 10:59:11 pm »
+2
Congratulations that's amazing!! :D

(pls tell me your secrets)

Haha naw thanks. I'm afraid I have no tips or wise advice. When I wrote the first draft for the essay I got 96% on, it was completely different to my final draft. If I had submitted my first draft I think I might've passed but only barely. Usually to get myself into gear I write pretty much what I know about first and write an atrocious draft, but even then while knowing this I try my best to put it to passable standards. Then everything is just editing, which takes up most of my time. Sometimes, this means abandoning the first draft and writing a second draft.

But there are days where my vocabulary feels so small and narrow that everything I write looks extremely incompetent. I usually give myself a break in that time, but I'd still discuss the ideas with my friends who are usually articulate enough for me to remember ways I could express a particular theme/idea. I have a horrid memory, but speaking it out to someone helps strengthen that recall, which in writing I find gives me enough inspiration to keep myself motivated through the writing-assignment process as much as I hate it as the next person.
2017: VCE COMPLETED

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #340 on: May 10, 2018, 08:52:36 pm »
+3
The calm before the storm.

I have a stress-free weekend coming up. And then the next three weeks will slaughter me with assignments and revision lectures.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #341 on: May 24, 2018, 02:33:17 pm »
+4
Currently printing a shit ton of documents for all the upcoming six film shoots I'm involved in from the 26th til the 28th. There's so much paper work to do and it's so emotionally draining so I'm just giving myself a break right now.

They updated our marks for Screen Business and my average mark is 76, thus giving me a 'distinction' which is genuinely surprisingly because I despise this subject very much ahah.

The universe works in mysterious ways...
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #342 on: June 25, 2018, 07:11:31 am »
+7
Last day of exams at UNSW. And I also happen to have an exam this same day.

Ugh... so keen to get it finally over and done with.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #343 on: November 20, 2018, 08:21:16 pm »
+7
Last day of exams at UNSW. And I also happen to have an exam this same day.

Ugh... so keen to get it finally over and done with.
Well, looks like that happened yet again. Think that's been 4 semesters in a row now since I was also in that boat last year.

Exam for topology and differential geometry was an internal exam, so the staff managed it themselves. We were told what building to go to from an email.

So we did. And then suddenly a bunch of kiddos and some supervisors for this unknown program walk into our exam room as us bunch of young adults just sat outside waiting to be ushered into our exam room, like what. But not too late enough my lecturer shows up. Wonder what happened for that room to look like it had been double booked for primary school children needs and our examination needs. Heck, we were even beginning to say that these guys must be geniuses at topology and diff geo.

Then they get kicked out, so we got our "exam room" back. But because the tables got moved around into those grouped-table structures that primary schools typically use, we had to re-setup OUR OWN "exam room" (i.e. classical exam room setup with tables split up) for our exam. So whilst in wtf mode we did it, and then after we were done we realised that we had way too many students so two people had to sit on one table. For a midsem, sure, but this stuff agitates the staff for final exams.

And rip, my lecturer had to remain on phone call with our administration officer on what to do. We sat there for a while just being like lol when will our exam start. And then boom, our exam had to be moved from upper campus back to low-middle campus area (a walk from Matthews theatre to the Red Centre theatre tucked away in a corner)!

Hence why I started putting "exam room" in quotation marks. So much for that being our alleged EXAM ROOM.

First world problems. Exclaimed me as we walked back down. (At least I got a few laughs from some people, including the lecturer.) By then i was really feeling the mood of "fuck it I'm gonna get a sandwich". (Although I decided to make use of this time by going to the bathroom before the exam began.)

And just to add the icing on the cake, our administration officer was there at the start of the exam to make sure the rest had to keep going smoothly. I also later found out after the exam that she was initially supervising like 1 student (a friend of mine, presumably extra learning support required by keeping them isolated from us) that she was "on a phone call with my lecturer for ages". At the time I had only guessed who my lecturer was calling, but he practically confirmed it lol.

And then I proceeded to get destroyed by that exam anyway, despite the lecturer giving us +15mins bonus time. But wow, what an experience.

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #344 on: November 20, 2018, 08:33:04 pm »
+1
Well, looks like that happened yet again. Think that's been 4 semesters in a row now since I was also in that boat last year.

Exam for topology and differential geometry was an internal exam, so the staff managed it themselves. We were told what building to go to from an email.

So we did. And then suddenly a bunch of kiddos and some supervisors for this unknown program walk into our exam room as us bunch of young adults just sat outside waiting to be ushered into our exam room, like what. But not too late enough my lecturer shows up. Wonder what happened for that room to look like it had been double booked for primary school children needs and our examination needs. Heck, we were even beginning to say that these guys must be geniuses at topology and diff geo.

Then they get kicked out, so we got our "exam room" back. But because the tables got moved around into those grouped-table structures that primary schools typically use, we had to re-setup OUR OWN "exam room" (i.e. classical exam room setup with tables split up) for our exam. So whilst in wtf mode we did it, and then after we were done we realised that we had way too many students so two people had to sit on one table. For a midsem, sure, but this stuff agitates the staff for final exams.

And rip, my lecturer had to remain on phone call with our administration officer on what to do. We sat there for a while just being like lol when will our exam start. And then boom, our exam had to be moved from upper campus back to low-middle campus area (a walk from Matthews theatre to the Red Centre theatre tucked away in a corner)!

Hence why I started putting "exam room" in quotation marks. So much for that being our alleged EXAM ROOM.

First world problems. Exclaimed me as we walked back down. (At least I got a few laughs from some people, including the lecturer.) By then i was really feeling the mood of "fuck it I'm gonna get a sandwich". (Although I decided to make use of this time by going to the bathroom before the exam began.)

And just to add the icing on the cake, our administration officer was there at the start of the exam to make sure the rest had to keep going smoothly. I also later found out after the exam that she was initially supervising like 1 student (a friend of mine, presumably extra learning support required by keeping them isolated from us) that she was "on a phone call with my lecturer for ages". At the time I had only guessed who my lecturer was calling, but he practically confirmed it lol.

And then I proceeded to get destroyed by that exam anyway, despite the lecturer giving us +15mins bonus time. But wow, what an experience.

Lol that's shocking Rui, incredibly disorganised there. All my exams always start late due to them never giving the papers out until everyone's sat down and the rules have been read, but at least it's standardised so you know what you're getting.