Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:14:38 am

Author Topic: Which language would you acquire?  (Read 3855 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Which language would you acquire?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 05:02:46 am »
It
An interesting article related to this: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-24/which-languages-should-australian-children-be-learning/8383146

I highly recommend reading the article; it may inform some of your decisions in this thread! ;D

It really surprises me that Italian is in the top three second-languages spoken by Australians. I'm over here in Italy literally learning a language that to me seems so pointless for practical use outside of Italy. It's so close to Latin, quite difficult, I guess I'm really surprised? But looking at our migrant intake, perhaps it isn't that surprising at all.

I'm also wondering why Japanese is a more popular option for language studies in schools in Aus than mandarin? Without knowing much more, I'm guessing there's a certain trendiness (kawaii lol) to learning Japanese? The article says there was a push in the 70s, which seems right (Puberty Blues even touches on it)...so perhaps some of the students who learned it in the 70s are now teachers of that language?

What do you all think?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Which language would you acquire?
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 03:56:47 pm »
+1
I'd learn Sindarin -- gotta be able to properly discuss Tolkien!

okok, I kid. I'd probably go for French. It's a beautiful sounding language, wide-spoken, and as Elysepopplewell said, I'd love to fully grasp the literary flair of certain texts. I am trying to learn French in my own time, but I'm not the best with languages.

In second place would be Bulgarian, simply because my best mate and I could discuss anything in public :P
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢