Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:26:24 pm

Author Topic: The differences between Australia and everywhere else  (Read 1426 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
The differences between Australia and everywhere else
« on: May 16, 2017, 07:43:01 pm »
+7
I'm lucky enough to be living in Venice, Italy, on a University exchange at the moment. I study at University of Ca 'Foscari. I kind of had the perception that Australians were well liked, that we were in the middle of no where in everyone else's perception, and I thought people would want to know about kangaroos.

No one asks about kangaroos - but most British people ask me if the koalas have chlamydia, because someone from One Direction apparently contracted chlamydia from an Australian koala?

Language
I speak to non-native English speakers every day, usually in English but occasionally in fragmented Italian. Do I have trouble understanding these people? No. Do I have trouble understanding my British friends? Yes. A few moments of discourse in our language:

To me, pants are any kind of item of clothing you wear on the bottom that has room for two legs, but isn't underwear. Jeans, trackies, tights, whatever. To British people, pants are underwear, and trousers are what we would call pants. Joggers, to me, are running shoes. To them, they are baggy pants. To me, thongs are shoes, to them, thongs is the plural of g-string. Also, every boy or girl who is good looking is "fit" - even if they have never exercised in their life. Because fit means good looking, not actually fit.

Also, I have a french friend who pointed out to me how often, and how diversely, we use the word "get" in English. You get drunk. Do you get it? I get it. Can you get that for me? You get high, you get let down, and so on... Since it was first brought to my attention, I actually am in disbelief how much we "get" in English. I've spoken to a few other non-native English speakers and they have said learning "get" is a big focus in their English course, and so many of them say "get" when they don't know what other word to use and they just hope it fits. Apparently it usually gets them by.

University
All of my friends paint a really competitive and more or less bleak picture of University in England. Everyone will say that mental health in English Universities is a topic not given enough attention, but is literally stifling students. The pressure to perform well in Universities in England is really high. Maybe I'm naive for not following the academic University route, instead I specifically chose a course that is practical and hands on, but I really don't think this same culture exists in Australia. We say, "Ps get degrees" which is obviously not something everyone agrees to, but it's a well-known enough saying. Passing is not an option amongst anyone I've spoken to from English Universities, and they've said they don't really know anyone who would think similarly. Perhaps it's because there are Universities like Oxford and Cambridge in the country, but all my friends could rank each University for academics, sports, art, etc, meticulously. When the new University rankings come out, it's really a huge topic. Again, maybe I'm naive for somehow missing this big hooha in Aus, but I really do think our University culture is completely different.

Another reason for the University culture being so different, is because in England it is accepted for the most part that you live on campus for your first year. Everyone has memories of first year, drunk, naive, memories of first year. Literally my first year of Uni was trying to sail through this new world of Uni, it didn't involve moving out, or partying lots, or anything like that. Of course lots of Australians move on campus, or move away from home for Uni. But, again, it's the thing to do in England.

Lastly on University, and this one is more about Europe than England - masters degrees. Super. Common. Super. Important. It's not really as though I would do a Bachelor of Journalism and then a Masters in Media. It's more like, I would do a Bachelor of Journalism and then a Masters in Economics. It's about diversifying your skill set to make you very employable. No one would blink an eye lid if you were a student aged 26, no one would assume you've had a gap year or two somewhere along the line, you're probably just doing your second masters degree. Back home, if someone asked me what I do, I'd say, "I study at University but I also work." I would never leave it as just being a student. But here, being a student is a prolonged process because although the stress of Uni isn't a fun time, it's more or less your career for the first 8-10 years out of High School. It's a really applauded thing, to be a student. Whereas I think my applause would come from working, not so much studying. Not sure why I feel this way. Many Europeans, French and Italians mainly, have said to me that if they didn't have a masters they wouldn't get a job, they're certain of it. But internships in Europe are a biiiiiig deal.

Working/Money
Leading on from the last point, my English friends don't work during High School, and hardly through Uni. They have "Summer jobs" when Uni is on break. According to the people I've spoken to, Uni consumes your entire life and it isn't expected that you'll work during the Uni period, but just work during Summer instead. Because of this, everyone is on some pretty sizeable student loans, which adds to their HECS (not what they call it). The degrees don't necessarily cost a whole lot more than what they do in Aus, but the looming debt is really frightening for so many students because they have their living loan on top of their degree cost. I have a friend from France who is now 24, has done three major internships in three different countries across the world, for economics. He's just finishing his masters degree now. He has never had a paid job. Ever. And this isn't abnormal, it appears. He's fortunate enough that his parents can pay for this period of his life because while you're still a student, the expectation isn't that you will work. Obviously many Europeans students do work, but I hardly think it's comparable to Australia. I tell people I've worked since I was 14 and they cannot believe it - Australia, this country that lets "children" do paid work. Loling hard.

Smoking/Drinking
Smoking is dirt cheap in Italy, but expensive in England like it is for us. Italians drink often, it's a really common social activity, but rarely to excess. Or, the excess of Italians would be considered just warming up in Australia. My British friends have talked about their first years of Uni, saying because you essentially live in a suburb full of students, it can be complete carnage. Clubs 4 nights a week, enter the club 1am (lol Sydney lockouts) and leave 6am, etc. I really don't have the stamina for that. We stop for coffee and cigarettes during my two hour University lectures. Everyone gets up and half the class migrates to the courtyard to smoke, and the rest of us line up at the coffee machine (50c Lavazza coffee - actually bloody beautiful coffee).

What do people think about Australia?
It has genuinely surprised me how everyone thinks we're one of the most dangerous places. I've met people who've chosen to not do their erasmus exchange in Australia because they're scared of being bitten but a snake or spider or something. Really odd? I tell people, I've never been in any kind of emergency because of a snake or spider. I mean, kangaroos can hit your car and seriously mess things up, and of course you could be poisoned by a red back, but that's really on the rarer side? It's not like the rest of the world's animals are herbivorous, non-poisonous, timid things. Sharks and crocodiles are topics of conversation too.

Also, and this I'm reallyyyyy sick of hearing, "Yeah I'd like to go to Australia but it's just so far away." Honestly, gets me fired up. It's so annoying and lazy lol. Miss out on a beautiful country because you can't put up with a flight, that's fine, I really don't care. It's like everyone says it then waits for me to convince them otherwise. No. I won't. I'm the hugest advocate for all kind of travels and endorse Australia every chance I get, but I can't make whiners not whine about the wonderful and magical experience of travelling. Surprisingly, when people do talk about Australia, they talk about New Zealand as well. I say to everyone who mentions it, "If you do come to Australia - absolutely go to New Zealand if you can! Absolutely gorgeous!"

When people ask me where they should go in Australia, I say, well, you should go to Sydney because no doubt you want to see the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House and all that. But real talk - Queensland is where it's at. Daintree Rainforest, beaches, wild life parks, Great Barrier Reef - I think Queensland really encompasses the entire adventurous spectrum that a lot of people visiting Australia want.

Anyway...
I just thought I'd share some little experiences here and there in case they interest anyone. I'll update this thread as I think of more things. Feel free to comment on anything - did you already know some of these things I've learnt? Or have you had different experiences of the same thing? Hope you enjoyed my musings. :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
Re: The differences between Australia and everywhere else
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:11:00 pm »
+3
It has genuinely surprised me how everyone thinks we're one of the most dangerous places. I've met people who've chosen to not do their erasmus exchange in Australia because they're scared of being bitten but a snake or spider or something. Really odd? I tell people, I've never been in any kind of emergency because of a snake or spider. I mean, kangaroos can hit your car and seriously mess things up, and of course you could be poisoned by a red back, but that's really on the rarer side? It's not like the rest of the world's animals are herbivorous, non-poisonous, timid things. Sharks and crocodiles are topics of conversation too.
omg haha

one of my friends is too scared to go to Australia simply for the animals. like, she rarely finds spiders in her house (but still scared of them) but since I've told her about the so many spiders here I've kinda scared her away oops (but yeah, since moving to Canberra I haven't seen a single spider, heaps in Melbourne though) also the snakes too!
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:38:37 pm »
+2
That's bs Elyse. Clearly they want to come to Melbourne. Roads that aren't all one way, cafes that open on a Sunday morning.

For me... Nepal

Went on a massive trek when I was 14... very overwhelming for me at the time. One huge thing... the culture there places far less emphasis on personal space. There's guys walking past me like bumping my shoulder every time like a high-school bully would do in the hallway and I'm turning around like "wtf is your problem" but over there it's just like "yolo why even get out of the way when we can just keep walking" and everyone's super calm haha.

Men held hands affectionately which was pretty cool. Just a whole different perception of physical contact than here.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:48:07 pm »
+3
To me, pants are any kind of item of clothing you wear on the bottom that has room for two legs, but isn't underwear. Jeans, trackies, tights, whatever. To British people, pants are underwear, and trousers are what we would call pants. Joggers, to me, are running shoes. To them, they are baggy pants. To me, thongs are shoes, to them, thongs is the plural of g-string. Also, every boy or girl who is good looking is "fit" - even if they have never exercised in their life. Because fit means good looking, not actually fit.
OMG this confused me to no end when I moved to Australia. I remember the first time we had PE in year 4, and we were all getting changed into our PE kits and someone said something along the lines of "put your pants on". I almost had a heart attack thinking "who has taken their PANTS off in a classroom what kind of country is this". Also calling them thongs still makes me uncomfortable for this reason haha, so I continue to call them flip flops.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 10:55:19 pm »
+3
OMG this confused me to no end when I moved to Australia. I remember the first time we had PE in year 4, and we were all getting changed into our PE kits and someone said something along the lines of "put your pants on". I almost had a heart attack thinking "who has taken their PANTS off in a classroom what kind of country is this". Also calling them thongs still makes me uncomfortable for this reason haha, so I continue to call them flip flops.

I said to my friend, "I have your thongs at my place." She said, "why were they at yours?" I said, "I wore them home the other night, remember?" and she was like

.... :/

because for a moment there I was someone who wears someone else's g string home and then leaves it at my house. Awkwardddd
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!