Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:38:09 pm

Author Topic: What do you think about art?  (Read 2988 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
What do you think about art?
« on: May 17, 2017, 02:56:41 am »
+3
Do you like modern art? Contemporary? Post modern? Renaissance? Do you like sound? Installations? Architecture? Oils? Watercolours? Pastels? Classics? Do you paint? Do you sing? Do you draw? Do you doodle? Do you like visiting galleries?

What do you think about art that is free?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: What do you think about art?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 09:36:25 am »
+3
Of all the creative arts, I haven't learnt to appreciate art specifically. I deeply appreciate others' music, writing, drama, and so on, but their visual creations (paintings, drawings, etc) don't have nearly as much power to move me. I can't look at an artwork by Picasso or Van Gogh and think anything more than "for some  reason that picture is famous and expensive"... hopefully my taste will improve. :P
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 11:00:25 am »
+1
Of all the creative arts, I haven't learnt to appreciate art specifically. I deeply appreciate others' music, writing, drama, and so on, but their visual creations (paintings, drawings, etc) don't have nearly as much power to move me. I can't look at an artwork by Picasso or Van Gogh and think anything more than "for some  reason that picture is famous and expensive"... hopefully my taste will improve. :P

What kind of writing do you enjoy reading? :)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 04:26:04 pm »
+3
What kind of writing do you enjoy reading? :)

Good writing of any genre.

Poetry, Dickens/Austen/Gaskell/that sort of era of socially aware novels, humorous older authors like PG Wodehouse/Mark Twain/Stephen Leakock, various other kinds of fiction, well-written biographies/autobiographies, and non-fiction on anything philosophy, psychology and sociology. Plus blogs on any topic I'm interested in. People skilled with words can move me to laughter or tears with ease.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 07:14:29 pm »
+6
I'm not sure what art type this is, but I really like these "deep meaning/satire images".

Some of my faves!  ;D

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 10:08:25 pm »
+1

That's not surprising, given that we live in such an image-obsessed and image-saturated world, which some have argued for being the cause of why visual art isn't so appreciated by us, the people of modern 21st. I can sympathise with you; music and writing have much more of an impact on me than what my eye can see. Sometimes I think I'm missing something when I look at art directly, since I have a tendency to just skim and not really take things 'in' the right way by visual means. Most of the time when I'm in an art gallery, I'm just so overwhelmed; I have no real direction as to how I should see any of what I see, though I know what I'm seeing has been lauded for centuries of its brilliance and mastery. It's quite a daunting space, and to me, it seems almost impenetrable, even with the way curators have set up the place to make it clear for us, the viewers.

You may want to read Sontag's essays On photography, which addresses this. This also reminds me of an article I read this week, which spoke of the idea of how we are at the 'end of the art narrative'.

I'll link y'all to it at the bottom if you're interested:

https://aeon.co/essays/even-if-the-story-of-art-has-died-does-art-still-live-on
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:22:26 pm by peterpiper »
2017: VCE COMPLETED

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 11:39:06 pm »
+2
I'm not sure what art type this is, but I really like these "deep meaning/satire images".

I think you'll really enjoy the work of Paul Kuczynski if you haven't already come across his work. I did an assignment on him last year for visual manipulation, really, interesting. A wonderful artist.

That's not surprising, given that we live in such an image-obsessed and image-saturated world, which some have argued for being the cause of why visual art isn't so appreciated by us, the people of modern 21st.

I think what you're presenting is really interesting!

Personally, contemporary art is my jam, although postmodern is my most jammy jam. I've seen so many renaissance paintings in the last few months that I'd rather walk into a museum naked than look at another, but I do realise the intention of the art is so different. Then, the art was so much about displaying a message as dictating by those in power, to those not in power. So basically, art is propaganda-y AF for the most part. It hasn't necessarily changed from being propaganda-y, in my opinion, it's just about who controls the propaganda has changed. Now, art is so much more diverse because it is produced by so many different classes, genders, voices, and perspectives. To me, I always see something new in contemporary art. I feel like I'm looking at the same trumpet playing cherubs in Renaissance art.

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:16:59 pm »
+2
In the broad spectrum of art, I really adore the visual and performing arts.
Visually, I'm more into contemporary/post-modern in any medium because of their amazing concepts they have!! And even if the artist doesn't have any conceptual basis to it, the response and unique interpretation makes it an awesome experience!
With the classical/traditional arts, I appreciate to an certain extent in a way that I respect that modern artists have used their techniques and styles as a basis!! Without them, WHAT IS ART?!!!!
Performing arts, I'm more into MUSIC!! Especially the romantic, ragtime and jazz piano genre!
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 11:26:01 pm »
Do you like modern art? Contemporary? Post modern? Renaissance? Do you like sound? Installations? Architecture? Oils? Watercolours? Pastels? Classics? Do you paint? Do you sing? Do you draw? Do you doodle? Do you like visiting galleries?

What do you think about art that is free?
I think it is rubbish and completely random (modern and contemporary art that is...).

Anyone, literally anyone can mould a bike or scrumple something up OR even randomly stick stuff together.

Renaissance? Architecture? Pretty amazing and imaginative with how some people come up with the MOST amazing designs and scenes. 

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 11:31:30 pm »
+2
I think it is rubbish and completely random (modern and contemporary art that is...).

Anyone, literally anyone can mould a bike or scrumple something up OR even randomly stick stuff together.

Renaissance? Architecture? Pretty amazing and imaginative with how some people come up with the MOST amazing designs and scenes.

People can mistaken glasses for art in a museum, hence art can literally be anything... :o

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 12:33:03 am »
I appreciate all kinds of art, because I look at it from a socio-philosophical perspective. Artists depict the world either as they wish to see it or as they see it, and that's the part I'm most interested in. I love free art (graffiti, street hip/hop dance, rap music, even certain types of writing etc.)  even though some people may think of it as low-brow, as it allows artists to express their own social realities or the way that they see the world. Their experiences and the way they wish to create meaning with the resources that they have is as valuable as the beauty from high-brow art. Furthermore free art has provided the opportunity fringe communities and minority cultures in society to express themselves as well as break-down the perception that art is a connoisseur/ bourgeois pursuit.

My favourite forms of art though are classical and jazz music (I play the Cello and Piano myself), contemporary and hip-hop dance (I do contemporary dancing myself), Banksy, theatre, photography, Japanese and Chinese art, and rich architectural cityscapes (Prague, Budapest, Edinburgh, Paris, London, Vienna, Moscow, Istanbul and St Petersburg).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:50:48 am by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 08:07:54 am »
With the classical/traditional arts, I appreciate to an certain extent in a way that I respect that modern artists have used their techniques and styles as a basis!! Without them, WHAT IS ART?!!!!

You've acknowledged something important here - art today is only the way it is because of the art that has gone before!

Do you see the criticism and satire in modern and contemporary art as rubbish? Have a look at the images posted in the thread above, I think they're very thought provoking!

I appreciate all kinds of art, because I look at it from a socio-philosophical perspective. Artists depict the world either as they wish to see it or as they see it, and that's the part I'm most interested in.
Or as they're commissioned to show the world ;)

I appreciate all kinds of art, because I look at it from a socio-philosophical perspective. Artists depict the world either as they wish to see it or as they see it, and that's the part I'm most interested in. I love free art (graffiti, street hip/hop dance, rap music, even certain types of writing etc.)  even though some people may think of it as low-brow, as it allows artists to express their own social realities or the way that they see the world. Their experiences and the way they wish to create meaning with the resources that they have is as valuable as the beauty from high-brow art. Furthermore free art has provided the opportunity fringe communities and minority cultures in society to express themselves as well as break-down the perception that art is a connoisseur/ bourgeois pursuit.

My favourite forms of art though are classical and jazz music (I play the Cello and Piano myself), contemporary and hip-hop dance (I do contemporary dancing myself), Banksy, theatre, photography, Japanese and Chinese art, and rich architectural cityscapes (Prague, Budapest, Edinburgh, Paris, London, Vienna, Moscow, Istanbul and St Petersburg).
Wow! It sounds like your interest in art is extremely diversified. I, too, love free art. There's something really liberal about it. It's a way of something being offered to me rather than me requesting it - suddenly the art and I are on the same level, and I can take from it what I want, it's not been quantified to a cost!