Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:42:27 am

Author Topic: Post Removed  (Read 8219 times)  Share 

abc12345j

Post Removed
« on: May 18, 2017, 01:41:23 pm »
Removed
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 01:12:29 am by abc12345j »

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
  • Wisdom begins in wonder
  • Respect: +24
Re: GAMSAT Result
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:12:30 pm »
+2
http://thepathtomed.com/past_scores/entry_scores_2017/melbourne_2017.htm

according to this, you have a great score!
I don't know how accurate it is but its worth a look.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 07:55:03 pm »
+1
http://thepathtomed.com/past_scores/entry_scores_2017/melbourne_2017.htm

according to this, you have a great score!
I don't know how accurate it is but its worth a look.

I wouldn't trust these data to be honest. The site itself says that they're derived from self-reported scores on pagingdr. Hard to tell which way this would bias the sample, but it's clearly not going to be representative of the scores medical students actually achieve.

Anecdotally, 69 isn't typically regarded as a shoe-in score, but it's certainly not one that would prevent you from getting a CSP place.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:06:34 am »
I wouldn't trust these data to be honest. The site itself says that they're derived from self-reported scores on pagingdr. Hard to tell which way this would bias the sample, but it's clearly not going to be representative of the scores medical students actually achieve.

Anecdotally, 69 isn't typically regarded as a shoe-in score, but it's certainly not one that would prevent you from getting a CSP place.
what would be a shoe-in score? Assume a relatively high GPA, 6.7+? idk aha

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:31:17 am »
what would be a shoe-in score? Assume a relatively high GPA, 6.7+? idk aha

That's the million dollar question tbh. Most people stop worrying when GAMSAT>70 for some reason. Not quite as confident on GPA, as there was a tendency for people to discuss them less.
To be clear, there's really little evidence to back that up. It's just the point at people seemed to say "ok I won't do GAMSAT again". That said, I have friends who got GAMSATs in the 70s who didn't make it to Melbourne (but did get into Med)

baroreflex

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 05:13:19 pm »
That's the million dollar question tbh. Most people stop worrying when GAMSAT>70 for some reason. Not quite as confident on GPA, as there was a tendency for people to discuss them less.
To be clear, there's really little evidence to back that up. It's just the point at people seemed to say "ok I won't do GAMSAT again". That said, I have friends who got GAMSATs in the 70s who didn't make it to Melbourne (but did get into Med)
sorry to continue asking but was their GAMSAT 70 melb weighted or just normal 70s ? And is it possible for you to explain why your friends who had 70 GAMSAT scores didn't get into Melbourne uni ? As I was under the assumption that 70s was good enough to get into unimelb. After getting my GAMSAT score, I wasn't planning to do it again but this has scared me now :/ (sorry this doesn't flow and make sense at all)

Thank you so much :)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:53:13 am »
sorry to continue asking but was their GAMSAT 70 melb weighted or just normal 70s ? And is it possible for you to explain why your friends who had 70 GAMSAT scores didn't get into Melbourne uni ? As I was under the assumption that 70s was good enough to get into unimelb. After getting my GAMSAT score, I wasn't planning to do it again but this has scared me now :/ (sorry this doesn't flow and make sense at all)

Thank you so much :)

Not really sure whether it was standard or Melbourne, but the differences are usually only minor.

GAMSAT is only one third of the story, that's why. A score in the low 70s is very competitive.