Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:33:28 am

Author Topic: LAT admission (Law)  (Read 3573 times)  Share 

Crabstickz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
LAT admission (Law)
« on: July 12, 2017, 12:03:54 pm »
Hi, this might be a bit of a long shot but I was wondering if any past students (or someone who's managed to find out more information than me) knows some atar/LAT combinations that have successfully made it into Law at UNSW?
there's very limited information on the unsw site and lots of conflicting responses from the few that have posted about it (i.e. someone getting 96 atar and 70 LAT and getting in but someone with 99+ and 80 LAT not)

Thanks in advance!

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
Re: LAT admission (Law)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:20:20 pm »
+2
Hi, this might be a bit of a long shot but I was wondering if any past students (or someone who's managed to find out more information than me) knows some atar/LAT combinations that have successfully made it into Law at UNSW?
there's very limited information on the unsw site and lots of conflicting responses from the few that have posted about it (i.e. someone getting 96 atar and 70 LAT and getting in but someone with 99+ and 80 LAT not)

Thanks in advance!

Hey mate,

Ive had a lot of questions about this - to be perfectly honest no one actually knows. My year was sort of a trial run and they didnt tell us much other than the stats you already saw - 98 average atar, 70 average LAT. So the stats for my year could change drastically for next year if with any changes they make to the LAT.

After ATAR came out, the next day was UNSW Info day and at the desk I was freaking out whether or not I would get in and chatting to the spokesperson. They said that most people get around the 70s mark range for LAT and so anything 75 or above would put you in a good position warranting you had a "competitive" ATAR.  Not too sure what this and frankly it could be anything - so your best bet is to keep UNSW Law as your first preference in case you do get in because your combination may be enough - a high atar could definitely get you in if you bomb the lat - some positions for UNSW Law went out to those who didnt sit the lat if their ATAR was "exceptional".

Also, keep in mind that the students admitted into law usually have amazing atars and when we talk about a below average atar for law, that usually means something like a 96 which in itself is an amazing atar and you should totally be proud with a 96. So definitely keep things in perspective.

If you wanted a breakdown of the exam, totally check out this thread here

Hope this helps :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:23:47 pm »
+2
Just want to reiterate what Isaac has said. I didn't actually sit the LAT, although I do UNSW law (got in just before they implemented it!). I know plenty of people who went into the LAT, thinking it was similar to the UMAT, and after getting their marks back thought Law was a lost cause. To their surprise, many of them got in anyway! Like Isaac said, whilst with the UMAT you're looking for a crazy high mark, with the LAT it's more like meeting a 'threshold' (ie. Are you sorta good at writing/being persuasive? If so, you're all g on the LAT front). If you got a brilliant ATAR, I sort of doubt that the LAT will play into it at all. If you get a great ATAR, they may look at your LAT mark, and if you got a 'below cut-off' ATAR they might begin to take your LAT result a bit more seriously. Basically, don't stress, it isn't a big deal, and you can't prep for it. Don't expect a high mark, because no-one gets one.

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Crabstickz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:17:31 pm »
! Wow Thank you guys so much! Thanks for explaining all the stuff because tbh it was doing my head in trying to figure out if I could get into it and whether it was even feasible for me to get in!
Once again thanks heaps!  ;D