Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:39:08 pm

Author Topic: Geography Question Thread  (Read 38602 times)  Share 

marshmallow.on.fire

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Geography Question Thread
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:26:52 pm »
+6
HSC GEOGRAPHY Q&A THREAD

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the HSC Geography course or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask! 👌

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you. So you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

OTHER GEOGRAPHY RESOURCES

Original post
Hey guys, I'm a causal ATAR Notes kid, and I've made this super thread to act as a (hopefully) massive group of posts with a range of questions and answers for Geography HSC. This way everything can be kept together and hopefully used more often, as the geography 'stuff' on atar notes slowly builds.
We need to come together against those who call our subject "2U Colouring In"!!! Because geo is actually incredibly hard and it's a team effort  8) 8)
So get posting kids!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:00:46 pm by Joseph41 »
I fell in love with atarnotes the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.

(except skip the slowly!)

2017 HSC subjects:
Advanced English
Biology
Mathematics
Chemistry
Geography

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: GEOGRAPHY SUPER THREAD
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 10:36:19 pm »
Hey guys, I'm a causal ATAR Notes kid, and I've made this super thread to act as a (hopefully) massive group of posts with a range of questions and answers for Geography HSC. This way everything can be kept together and hopefully used more often, as the geography 'stuff' on atar notes slowly builds.
We need to come together against those who call our subject "2U Colouring In"!!! Because geo is actually incredibly hard and it's a team effort  8) 8)
So get posting kids!

Omg, '2U Colouring In,' I've never heard that before and gave me a chuckle ;)

I love this, and want to help! I've stickied this post to act as a Geography Resources thread!! ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
Geography Question Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 10:38:49 pm »
+6
I know Geography hasn't gotten much AN love in NSW just yet. I want to start fixing that.

Let's make this a central place for giving and receiving help with Geography questions. All the subjects we have lectures for started with questions and answers on the forums - It only builds from there ;D

You can register to ask a question by clicking here!

marshmallow.on.fire

• Adventurer
Re: GEOGRAPHY RESOURCES THREAD
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:02:53 pm »
Omg, '2U Colouring In,' I've never heard that before and gave me a chuckle ;)

I love this, and want to help! I've stickied this post to act as a Geography Resources thread!! ;D

Awesome, thanks so much Jamon!
(Also, thanks again for this past week's lectures. It was totally worth organising a group of ten friends from Newcastle to come down for a couple of days to attend them).
I fell in love with atarnotes the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.

2017 HSC subjects:
Advanced English
Biology
Mathematics
Chemistry
Geography

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
Re: GEOGRAPHY RESOURCES THREAD
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 02:23:10 pm »
Awesome, thanks so much Jamon!
(Also, thanks again for this past week's lectures. It was totally worth organising a group of ten friends from Newcastle to come down for a couple of days to attend them).

The whole team were raving about talking to a few of you guys and finding out you were from Newcastle - You are all incredible, so glad it was helpful! ;D

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: Geography Question Thread
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:56:23 pm »
Yay! Let's get that ball rolling then hey,
Can anyone explain geomorphic and hydrologic processes that are present in the Geeat Barrier Reef ecosystem?
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

marshmallow.on.fire

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 01:56:01 pm »
How are people planning their study for the HSC exams?
Does anyone have any good websites for finding exams which have full stimulus booklets? I'm struggling!
How are you planning your extended responses? Mind-maps on syllabus dot points?
Thanks, to any who reply! you guys are the bomb!

2017 HSC subjects:
Advanced English
Biology
Mathematics
Chemistry
Geography

heatherrose

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 12:06:22 pm »
+3
Soooo, I didn't even know about this until today... but all HSC Geography Exams on the NESA website have the full Stimulus booklet, ITS AT THE END OF THE WHOLE EXAM (PRETTY AMAZING RIGHT). I was scared about how I would do past papers without a stimulus booklet, but through my desperation, I found the answer to all my problems (and hopefully yours too) :) ENJOY

HSCNewcastle2017

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 11:26:22 pm »
HSC Focus is the best site I could find for trial exams, much more challenging than past HSC's!

http://www.hscfocus.com/hsie/geography/geography-trial-papers/

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 05:59:21 pm »
+3
For my study I started a YouTube channel to make vids on the syllabus, so I can study and help others at the same time  lol (if you wanna have a look it called Potato Hater's World), I also am gonna finish writing my notes and do a heap of past papers and open book essays. As for stimulus, they are at the end of the past papers as previously mentioned, I would just reccomend printing them out to work on them since the scale of the diagrams could affect answers and also you can draw all over them :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 10:57:33 am »
Hey guys, for the dot point in people and economic activity that says
- the environmental, social, and economic impacts of the economic activity such as ...
What do we talk about? Impacts on the activity, or impacts on the world?
We've been taught impacts on the activity but when I read that dot point I think it should be the world. Which is it?

HSCNewcastle2017

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 01:28:12 pm »
+1
- the environmental, social, and economic impacts of the economic activity such as ...
We've been taught impacts on the activity but when I read that dot point I think it should be the world. Which is it?

This heavily depends on which economic activity you are studying, e.g I'm doing tourism.

You need to discuss the positives and negatives of all 3 impacts resulting from the economic activity on the world.
E.g. for environmental impacts - positives such as increased awareness through education and negatives such as pollution, erosion, degradation etc
For economic impacts - provision of infrastructure, millions of people being employed globally (good to include some stats too, e.g. 7% of Australian workforce employed in tourism) and the negatives such as the casualisation of labour.
And so on for social impacts.

Hope this helped. Best of luck in the exam.

mattmorley

• Trailblazer
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 06:14:49 pm »
+2

From what we have done, the environmental social and economic impacts are all on the world as a result of the activity, not on the activity. IE, the activity of coffee has environmental impacts through land degedation, erosion, loss of arable land, pollution from manufacturing, agrochemcial usage in waterways, plastic cups in waste, sun cultivated coffee inhibting diveristy and deforestation.
HSC 2017

Standard English
General Maths
Studies of Religion 2
Business Studies
Geography

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 12:15:07 am »
From what we have done, the environmental social and economic impacts are all on the world as a result of the activity, not on the activity. IE, the activity of coffee has environmental impacts through land degedation, erosion, loss of arable land, pollution from manufacturing, agrochemcial usage in waterways, plastic cups in waste, sun cultivated coffee inhibting diveristy and deforestation.
Ok that's what I thought, but our teacher has taught us about how the world impacts our economic activity - viticulture - which seemed very simular to the factors. Considering there's not much out there and I'm gonna need to re teach myself this dot point:
does anyone know any social, economic and environmental impacts of viticulture on the world??

mattmorley

• Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 09:50:38 pm »
i think vitaculture is very popular so im sure there are heaps of notes in the notes section or boredofstudies
HSC 2017

Standard English
General Maths
Studies of Religion 2
Business Studies
Geography