Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:43:14 pm

Author Topic: Cartographer? Do you work with Archaeologist? -zofro's journal on GeoSpat Sci  (Read 17721 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Is that like building and desigining rockets? -zofromuxo's journal
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 06:07:10 pm »
Spoiler
I'll also think about if I'll still hang around on ATARNotes. To put it bluntly, I didn't get a "high" ATAR or a 40+ study score and a change of study design. This means I can't contribute a lot.

Couldn't be further from the truth! :)

Congrats on getting through the exam!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
+1
Monday, 27/11/17. Reflections of JAFFY

Uni stuff
Yay!!! my results finally came out.
3 High Distinctions & 1 Distinction for Sem 2.
I actually jumped out of my chair & screamed a bit (lol, this what happens when you set low
expectations or worry the worst will happen. You usually beat them 9.99999999999999999/10 times. If you don't want to be disappointed in life, aim within the realm of possibly :P).
2 of my High Distinction marks just squeezed in though so that was surprising and my Distinction was 2 marks to  making it a High Distinction (just like my subjects from semester 1 as well).
But i'm surprised at the results since I spent a lot of  time on this site helping students with primarily Medea and some Economics as well.
I also love how our GPA gets updated ~2-3 days before our results come out. So you can have a indication how you went beforehand. But it is uncertain if you failed a subject or not.
Well, it only gets harder from here. But I'll worry about that about a month away from university next year or when it starts. 8)

Out of Uni stuff
I've been just reading, journaling, goal-setting, learning and other "boring" stuff.
I haven't been out too much due to personal circumstances. But alas you make the most of what  you have.
I'm just enjoying this break as following onwards, I'll have a reduced amount even none due to getting work next year.
I'm not too sure what else I should do with my life in terms of what should I be trying out now  and not later like should I really learn how to cook actual meals or focus on learning about how to do taxes, investing, etc.
Too many things to learn and not enough me to go around doing it.
I guess cloning becomes a thing in my lifetime, but then how would I get the memories shared?
Hmmmm... something to look into when I'm procrastinating.
Oh also I really wish someone told me that the Harry Potter books are better then the movies. I'm surprised at the level of detail left out of the movies such as Harry gets his letter from Hogwarts in the Philosopher Stone to even the mention of a certain dog in the Philosopher Stone as well. Its like one of life's secrets that people don't tell you about.

Future of this journal
I'll keep updating this for next yearAlthough I really doubt anyone reads these besides me to be honest and maybe the odd stalker. But i'll do every week as opposed try to update it every day like this year, I'll do highlights of the week as opposed to a full- breakdown of it. I'll also have a section on university related things & non-university related things.

Year 1 Overall reflection
I think I was extremely better off then a lot of my peers in the transition to high school to university. I think being disciplined and also just having great, well-established work practices like how to deal with procrastination, how to get a "social" life, how to manage the workload, planning a schedule, etc really helped with this.
I think also treating going into university as a fresh start and knowing that I didn't have anyone I knew in my course or that I wouldn't see other students from high school was the big push I needed to go and pursue things.
I'm always a very passive person. I didn't like putting myself out there and in general quite private as well. So I think knowing that I would be in an
environment where people didn't know who I was, let me go and change myself for the better.
Like taking student union positions, being a lot more vocal in lectures, voicing concerns & feedback to professors and even going to talk to strangers in my industry about their work was something I wouldn't imagine doing at all.

A big thing that helped was that the professors and my friends I made at university were very supportive of me and this ultimately made me enjoy the subjects I took and really understand the necessity of the work that can be done like Map-Making is a lot more intense and complex then people give it credit for like the difference between a "great" and a "good" map is quite astounding and also
the maps that could be made when given the time and also the support is truly amazing. I remember when I made a map using a GIS (Geographical Information System) software package and then comparing it to when we could use a graphics package like Adobe Illustrator to make a map. The difference really shows and I think people outside of the industry don't understand how big of an impact that can have on their map.

Also fun-fact: I have taken ~25 workshops regarding career related stuff like networking, resumes, job searching strategies, cover letters, interviews and still haven't gotten a job :P
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

Joseph41

• Administrator
Congrats on your results! Sssmmmmmashed it.

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
+3
Congrats on your results! Sssmmmmmashed it.

I did indeed 8)

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
Uni Stuff

Allocate+ Timetabling = Preferences = Student Riot
Canvas = 50/50 Split over if it is better then Blackboard
Mentoring = Allocated by staff = Mentors are listed as anon = Angry me
=> I'm not very happy with the changes so far with RMIT.

Timeweave is a nice app, but I'm concerned over the management of the login details.
Anyone here used the app?

I'm also surprised by the useful and practical takeaways from American College guides that can be transferred to my university life.

Out of Uni

I'm thinking and being motivated to really, really, really do solo-travelling aka vagabonding aka hitch-hiking.
I'm going to read Vagabonding by Rolf Potts, Walden & On the Run by Henry David Thoreau and Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. This will hopefully bring some reality into my plans and maybe inform me on what to plan for. Who doesn't love planning and planning :)
Which also means starting to learn languages again... yay!... I might pick up Mandarin again or continue Japanese, who knows. The sky is the limit, they say.

A quote i'm pondering is: "If you are giving back, it's because you've taken too much". Ricardo Semler
I wonder if many AN'ers are like this or not. hmmmmm....

It's good to be back, now where was I? Oh, that's right only got 70 more pages of unread posts to read

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
"Losers react, Leaders Anticipate" and The Journey to being a Human Guinea Pig. 04/03/18

Uni Stuff

Trying out a new due date system on your dairy. Only to have your courses change due dates constantly is fun. Very fun.
The courses them have been so far back to basics.

Geospatial Statistics and Physics is going to be hell. This is like just no. But no exam.
Cartography 2, I look forward to the guest speakers here on out. I'm absolutely going to ask tons and tons of questions. I be an idiot not to.

Surveying 2: The Cadastral Studies (Measuring land boundaries and houses for you layman) is going to be dry and probably not worthwhile since its mainly for surveyors. The Surveying Computations is also going to be tough, you now need 4 people in a group factor in being with diploma students = a recipe for conflict.
The diploma students have done ~3-4 weeks of fieldwork, we university students have done 3 days. Time to put those conflict management skills to overtime levels.

I'm surprised RMIT is refusing to make dairies because they made too many last year. Why don't you make less then last year then? Is that too hard to ask?

Out of Uni

Books. Books. Books. Buy and Borrow.
This is what you do when you have a ton of free space in your room - Fill it with books.

What I'm reading Great Expectations, which has been alright. I do enjoy reading about Pip and his crush on Estella. I see so many parallels to real life "one-sided" crushes (If it does get reciprocated by Estella, i'll be surprised). I'm also curious if Miss Havisham is behavior on I'm guessing ruining Men's heart is like women scorned by men? Ahh who knows.

What I do know however is that after that I have another 6 more to read and then I'll probably buy some more because I'm currently on a reading binge fest.

I've also greyscaled my phone again. I'm hoping the same can be done on my computer, so I stop spending so much time on it. Unplugging. That is something I find is extremely rewarding.

Quote I'm Pondering: "When our maps do not fit the territory, when we acts as if our inferences are factual knowledge, we prepare ourselves for a world that isn't there. If this happens often enough, the inevitable result is frustration and an ever-increasing tendency to wrap the territory to fit our maps. We see what we want to see, and the more we see it, the more likely we are to reinforce this distorted perception, in the familiar circular and spiral feedback pattern".
Harry L. Weinberg

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
Data, damned data, and ArcGIS. Also Canvas Issues. 11/03/18

Uni Stuff

RMIT just can't get anything tech related right. Like Ever. Ughh.
My Stat's lectures won't load on Canvas because my lecturer uploaded on Google Drive instead of Canvas. Canvas doesn't seem to like that. I just hope its over by tomorrow. I really need those lectures to revise for the test on Wednesday.

Cartography 2: Colours.

This isn't a good map by the way. Period. But someone made it.

But my favourite is this one. This is why Cartographers are important.

Yes. I can tell which state is for Obama and which for Romeny.:P.

We also got set a practical to making a tourist map and commuter map for Melbourne. Which is always fun.
One problem: It has to be done using ArcGIS. Sigh... there ends my no cuss streak...  I mean dealing with 250+ individual data records isn't fun. I mean who puts a river into a roads layer data-set. I've got my work cut out for me. People making maps isn't easy. Like ever.

Out of Uni

This game.
I'm already hyped for Episode 2, I mean its got the No Ad, HSP, The Bin Chicken at Oxford Street. What more can you want out of Aussie Politics Game?
If you've got some free time on your hand, know some Aussie politics and loves memes. This the game for you.

Quote I'm Pondering: "A man who has not prepared his children for his own death has failed as a father". King T'Chaka.
This is a throwaway line in Black Panther, but got me thinking about death. How would I cope if one of my family did die? How common deaths are in society, How unforeseen they are sometimes, The death-rate of my age group and Am i prepared at all. I'm not and that is concerning to me. It just bothers me.

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
Been a while. I will update this soon
A lot of very, very, very bad stuff happened and I've been busy dealing with that fallout and dealing with general academic stuff like assignments every 2nd day, etc.
The worse has pased but I do have a very good reason for not updating for 6 weeks and counting.
When I find the time I will fill you all in on my busy and somewhat terrible start this year.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Been a while. I will update this soon
A lot of very, very, very bad stuff happened and I've been busy dealing with that fallout and dealing with general academic stuff like assignments every 2nd day, etc.
The worse has pased but I do have a very good reason for not updating for 6 weeks and counting.
When I find the time I will fill you all in on my busy and somewhat terrible start this year.
I hope all will be okay soon! :)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday 08/05/18

Why the delay since the last entry
Long story, short. I got really sick with a terrible cough, sore throat and the occasional headache so I wasn't in a condition to type these entries up. A student I knew passed away so I had to deal with the shock of that. The "assignment due every 2nd day" for ~4 weeks meant that I couldn't dedicate time to typing entries up as it went to finishing the never-ending assignments. Year 2 is harsh and intense, it gets even worse next semester I've heard. Fun!

I'm currently deciding what to do with my final map assignment. I'm thinking of maybe doing a travel map of places I want to visit like a bucket list or something. I'm still undecided, but will give it a good think over the next few days as I want to do well on this map. Good maps take a long, long time to do.

Physics is well hard. I'm surprised i'm actually passing it at all since 3/4 of it flys over my head. I really wish I did high school physics since everyone who did or is friends with someone who did is acing this. Oh well, i'll just grind at it. Something something "doing hard things make you learn".

I'm still working through my semester exchange application for next year. Its due in 6 days, I'm accepting I'll spend an extra semester/year finishing my course. No biggie honestly, the benefits of doing the exchange outweighs the extra time spent at RMIT. I have yet to interact with most of the 1st Years below me who I'll be with, but the ones I have are alright so far. Fingers crossed there are students that care especially for Cartography 3, which is a class project. I really don't want to work with students that are just going for passes because it isn't fun and a drainer for me.

Quote of the day: "We suffer more often in imagination than in reality".  Seneca

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
SWOTVAC aka Laze around and Panic week

Yeah..... i'm screwed? Who knows. But i'm at peace I guess due to this: "Half of you will be in the bottom half of your class at any given moment. Way more than half of you will be in the bottom half of your class at some point in the next four years. Get used to it."

I need to memories this, so I stop worrying about grades so much!

Either way, enjoy your exams and this lackluster entry.
White was going have to come soon or later!

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
+10
*Shrugs shoulders* 01/09/18

Its been a while like 3 months while. I can see a lot has changed on this site since I've last been on like the retirement of different mods and promotion of new ones.

I've personally kept myself quite busy during my hiatus from posting through applying to job ads and getting rejected, changing programs, organizing events to recently volunteering at a conference that just ended yesterday.
I thought I check in and post, I'm pretty certain that people's interest in this journal is dead, but "you don't know, what you don't know"!

Uni Stuff
My courses are hard... like really hard... no seriously hard..
I can't actually believe how difficult and tedious it is to work with aerial photography and even satellite imagery (Remote Sensing). So much goes into it! *Mindblown*
I'm also seeing the complexity behind a lot of the 'spatial analysis' and noticing how my terrible maths skills are coming to haunt me! Why do we do Quadtree encoding? It is so confusing..  >:(. It will all be worth it in the end i'm sure since others have done this course and survived! Its like VCE again, in the moment feels hard, looking back you realize you blew it out of proportion.

The different thing for me is the change in program and courses I do now. I'm still doing Geospatial Science, but differently. Its like that "same same, but different" meme from The Interview. I can't write more about it since I don't know all the differences between my current and previous program!  ::)

Out of Uni Stuff
Applying for jobs is hard! I feel like its pointless as all the jobs in my field are catered to university graduates or final year students and that applying for these is a waste of my time.
But I'm just hoping that maybe, just maybe they'll hire me. I expect they won't, but I really would like work experience in my field before I graduate and get paid.
I do have some unpaid work avenues I'm exploring, but I'm prioritizing paid work applications first even if I have a lower success rate because being paid for work is important.

Joseph41

• Administrator
^Nice to hear from you!

The jobs you're applying for - are they sort of like internships?

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
^Nice to hear from you!

The jobs you're applying for - are they sort of like internships?
Yes they are internship programs.
Fingers cross they hire me :).

As you can tell I've broken my promise, sorry.... but then again we should be used to that... I mean promises and politics, name a more iconic duo.

I have been bombarded with assignments due in my final week and then some during SWOT VAC. So much fun and much wow!!!
Job applications and dealing with numerous rejections have kept me occupied as well.

But I promise, not I pinky swear a 'proper, full, reflection, etc' entry will be made after my one and only exam (my only saviour in this situation).

Until then you can keep thinking i'm dead or left ATARNotes for good, when in reality, life happened :/

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
"Can't smile without you" 06/01/19

Its been a while. I know I have said this for the last few posts, but i'm truly sorry I haven't updated but I had to take a break.

My life had a lot of drastic changes like changing my program, doing a research placement, finding work, doing volunteering, interviewing people, reading my many books and recovering from burnout.
I will admit not coming back here to update this journal was a weight off my shoulder, but I did feel guilty not helping people when I got an email alert about a new thread being made on certain board with a topic I could help with.

As for 2019, I'm going to be consistently more active on this site because I owe this site a lot for helping me out when I was in high school.

So this is my plan for AN in 2019, what are yours?

The title is a song I heard when I was rewatching Hellboy: The Golden Army. I recommend you give it a listen