Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:55:07 pm

Author Topic: Usyd or UTS or UNSW  (Read 7010 times)

J.B

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Usyd or UTS or UNSW
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:31:36 am »
Hi,
I'm looking at doing the double degree of biomedical engineering and medical science at Usyd.
I was just wondering how people like Usyd, and I've read lots about Usyd people being 'elitists' which sort of turns me off this uni. Is this true?
I'm also considering similar degrees at UNSW or uts and how do these compare, like with atmosphere, lecturers, facilities, people etc
Thanks ☺️

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Usyd or UTS or UNSW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:00:39 am »
+3
The unfortunate truth is that yes, there is a certain bunch that are elitist at USyd. But I don't believe that 100% of USyd are like this. If you want to go there, you can always choose to be one of the non-elitist people there.

Can't speak for a discipline that I don't actually do (and hence commence on their lecturers), but engineering is one of the things UNSW is most well known for. Most UNSW students are nice altogether - haven't bumped into any that have really mocked me or others.

J.B

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 02:31:31 pm »
Thank you :)
I'm just a bit unsure about UNSW, as their biomedical engineering, can't be combined with medical science, and is done as a masters, so you do less of this side of engineering.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 02:34:28 pm »
+2
You should probably be more oriented towards your degree choice. Whilst I'm biased about what uni I'd say is "better", if elitism is your strongest worry it really isn't strong enough to override a degree choice.

(Unless later on you decide you'd prefer doing the masters.)