Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 05:21:48 am

Author Topic: Failed an English sac, will they let me re-sit or allow me to pass the unit?  (Read 8436 times)  Share 

abbey01010

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
I'm in year 12 right now, and have just completed my last English sac (comparative analysis).  I added up the marks I think I got, twice, according to the rubrik, and I got approximately 35-38%.  Is there any chance my teacher will give me an extra mark or two, considering for the 35-38% they will have had to be pretty lenient?  I really need to pass year 12, there is no other alternative for me.  If you fail one English sac, you fail the unit, and thus year 12.
I know they have been lenient with other people and someone I know definitely failed a different english sac, but was suspiciously passed anyway.  Would they let me re-sit, keeping the original mark but passing me for the unit?  Is it up to the principal to decide if I pass the unit?  Or should I discuss difficulties at home with a coordinator?  I do have some but I'm not sure if it would make the difference between them passing me or not.

Please give me some advice, preferably about how I can pass year 12, as I wouldn't like to take alternate pathways into uni or study

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
+5
Hi Abbey,

I’m sorry to hear about your SAC. I think the best thing you can do right now is breathe, relax, and try not to jump to conclusions. You might be pleasantly surprised by the marks you do receive. Try and have a little faith in yourself.

Of course, if you have failed your SAC, your first step will be to speak with your school. Your teacher will most definitely notify you if you have failed, and let you know what’s going to happen from there. Your teachers obviously want you to succeed, so if you are close to passing, they will try to reward marks wherever possible. Obviously, I can’t tell you for certain though.

There were a few people at my school who failed SACs in other subjects, and the general procedure was that you could re-sit the SAC until you passed, and get an ‘S’. Unfortunately, your first mark, that is, your fail mark, will be submitted to VCAA.

If you’re experiencing any troubles at home, it might be worth applying for SEAS.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
+2
First things first: failing in terms of 50% is not the same as getting an 'unsatisfactory' for VCE. You can only get an unsatisfactory if you didn't adequately *attempt* the SAC - it's not based on your percentage per se. That's probably why other people "magically" managed to pass: because, even if they got less than 50%, that's not what failing a SAC for VCE purposes means. Go ask your teacher whether your performance was enough to get a 'satisfactory'. It probably was. It will pull down your Study Score a bit, but it won't stop you getting your VCE and ATAR.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!