Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:58:46 am

Author Topic: Rates of change  (Read 4855 times)  Share 

HSCNewcastle2017

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Rates of change
« on: September 23, 2017, 10:13:23 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have an extended response question which asks to analyse the nature and rate of change affecting the functioning of TWO ecosystems at risk.
My case studies are the mulga woodland of the Gundabooka National Park and the wetlands of the Macquarie Marshes. I’m a bit unclear as to what specifically I should be discussing in terms of rate of change? Maybe statistics?? I assume the various human impacts that have occurred since European settlement, e.g. land clearance, grazing and the development of the irrigation industry – but these are probably the nature of the change.

Thank you.

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: Rates of change
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 05:52:07 pm »
+1
For rate you could talk about the speed of the change and what this means for ecosystems. As an example I'm doing the Great Barrier Reef and the field of Mars reserve, I could talk about how coral bleaching occurs quite quickly and how that impacts resilience and diversity on the GBR, and how slow logging of the FOM was and how quickly the forest recovered after this logging stopped. Sorry I can't help with your specific case studies, but yeah, talk about the speed and the impact of the changes for rate and always use stats if you can to support your discussion. Hope this helped 😊
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

HSCNewcastle2017

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Rates of change
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 01:15:54 pm »
+1
For rate you could talk about the speed of the change and what this means for ecosystems. As an example I'm doing the Great Barrier Reef and the field of Mars reserve, I could talk about how coral bleaching occurs quite quickly and how that impacts resilience and diversity on the GBR, and how slow logging of the FOM was and how quickly the forest recovered after this logging stopped. Sorry I can't help with your specific case studies, but yeah, talk about the speed and the impact of the changes for rate and always use stats if you can to support your discussion. Hope this helped 😊

Thank you. Yes I discussed how bushfires impact the woodland rapidly and then takes a significant number of years to recover. Similarly, how the irrigation industry and the regulation of the river has reduced the flows and inundation in to the wetlands gradually over time and the effects on the plant and birdlife which are reliant on them.