Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:50:27 pm

Author Topic: Ellen talks about uni wow!!! (specifically arts/law)  (Read 18550 times)

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
  • Respect: +76
Re: Ellen talks about uni wow!!! (specifically arts/law)
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 01:14:59 pm »
+3
Omgggg the case note was a nightmare! I thought that the one for criminal law was hard, but I found this one so much harder! I'm not looking forward to getting the marks back haha.

For Torts I have Eric, and for Pub Law I have Lisa!!
VCE 2015: Biology | History Revs | English | Legal Studies | Media | Methods
ATAR: 96.55

Currently: Arts/Law at Monash University - History Major, Journalism Minor

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 02:14:59 pm »
+2
Omgggg the case note was a nightmare! I thought that the one for criminal law was hard, but I found this one so much harder! I'm not looking forward to getting the marks back haha.

For Torts I have Eric, and for Pub Law I have Lisa!!

Yeah those assignment instructions were ridiculous #copyandpaste

And cool! What have they been like?
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 02:24:42 pm »
+2
Eric is ... not my favourite. I just find his lectures hard to follow, especially because he doesn't use powerpoint slides! :O

Lisa is alright. Her content is good and she's really nice but sometimes can be a bit monotonous. I've gone to some of Eric's lectures and his are so much more engaging! (pub law eric not torts eric lol)

Who do you have?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 03:09:55 pm »
+1

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 03:46:53 pm »
+2
Okay so I got in with a WAM of 80, but I know quite a few people who made it in with WAMs in the low 70s !!! Sooo many people I know that are doing law are transfer students. I don't know the exact numbers but it fells like they let a lot of people transfer. As long as you're averaging above a distinction (70), you should be fine.

I didn't think first year was too difficult, but ultimately it depends on what subjects you do. I was getting 90s for assignments in journalism and media, but then got 67% on one politics essay and thought my dreams of law were over (spoiler alert: they weren't). It also really depends on how much effort you're willing to put in to your subjects. A lot of arts units don't have end of semester exams, which means that you'll have a loT of work due during semester. And when you have four assignments due in the same week, each worth 30% of your unit mark, while you are trying to keep your WAM above 70, you can really start to stress!!! Once I finished year 12 I thought that uni would be more relaxed and I would get more of a social life and be able to focus less on study. Unfortunately that wasn't the case for me. Uni work turned out to be really time consuming, especially because I was putting in maximum effort in order to try and get into law. But, now that I'm in law, I've relaxed a tiny bit.

Some people might say to choose "easy" subjects to boost your WAM but I think the best thing to do is just choose what interests you the most. Because if you choose a subject you're not really interested in just to try and get a good WAM, you are going to have such a boring semester. It's better to risk maybE slightly lower marks for something that you're really interested in because then you will actually enjoy doing your assignments, and might even be content to keep studying that subject if you don't get in to law! That was me with politics. It was my lowest subject. After first semester I thought that if I wanted to get in to law that maybe I should drop politics and choose something easier for second semester. But I kept it, and it was such a good decision because the content in second semester turned out to be so interesting.

By the end of my first year in arts I wasn't really too fussed about whether I got in to law or not because I had enjoyed all my arts subjects so much. When I did get accepted I was even a little sad that I had to leave a few of my arts subjects behind. But I know that's not the case for everyone, especially for people whose main aim has always been to just get in to law.

TL;DR:
- Aim for a WAM above 70
- choose first year subjects that genuinely interest you
- put a lot of effort into your first year subjects, and you'll be fine!

Thank you so much for such an in-depth response! Really appreciate it. Also, just a follow up question,  the earliest one can transfer from arts at monash into arts/law is after one year?
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 04:36:03 pm »
+1
Eric is ... not my favourite. I just find his lectures hard to follow, especially because he doesn't use powerpoint slides! :O

Lisa is alright. Her content is good and she's really nice but sometimes can be a bit monotonous. I've gone to some of Eric's lectures and his are so much more engaging! (pub law eric not torts eric lol)

Who do you have?

Yeah I haven't heard the best things about Eric. I've got Gerry who is really good though! (And he uses powerpoint slides which is a plus!).

And for Public Law I've got Oyiela, who isn't too bad. She's really nice but I personally am not a big fan of the content, which doesn't really help with my attention in the lecture haha
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 09:21:42 pm »
+2
Thank you so much for such an in-depth response! Really appreciate it. Also, just a follow up question,  the earliest one can transfer from arts at monash into arts/law is after one year?

Correct! To transfer you must have completed at least 48 credit points of study, which is equivalent to one year's worth of units.

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 09:26:46 pm »
+2
Yeah I haven't heard the best things about Eric. I've got Gerry who is really good though! (And he uses powerpoint slides which is a plus!).

And for Public Law I've got Oyiela, who isn't too bad. She's really nice but I personally am not a big fan of the content, which doesn't really help with my attention in the lecture haha

Ooh haha, maybe I'll have to sneak into some of Gerry's lectures and check them out!

And I know so many people find pub law really dry, but I actually really really enjoys the pub law content!!!

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 11:02:01 pm »
+6
1/10

I'm not happy!!!!!!!!!! because i start uni again in 10 hours :'(

Also I got so little work done over the midsemester break compared to what i wanted to achieve. I didn't get any of my history diary entries done !!!!! :(((( I had planned to finish like 4/6 of them, but i tried starting the first one and realised that they were going to take a lot longer to write than i had thought they would, so now my plan is just try and get them done sometime during the rest of the semester.

BUT, i did manage to finish my research essay proposal for journalism that's due tomorrow. I got a choice of 10 topics to write on, and the one I chose is "How is political journalism changing, and does this change undermine or assist democracy?" and i need to compare the 2016 USA and Australian election campaigns. I'm talking a lot about how political journalism is becoming super sensationalised and trivialised. I mention things like the whole #faketradie scandal in aus, stories about how Bill Shorten ate his democracy sausage the wrong way, and the massive coverage of this kind of stuff, with little focus on actual policies. But also i'm saying that maybe mAybE this all actually benefits democracy! by making politics accessible to a larger range of people. maybe.

Anyway, I'm glad I got that proposal done. The actual essay is due in four weeks so i've got a lot of time to do more research for it.

Also tonight I did my readings for my public law class tomorrow. We're practising statutory interpretation skills, which involves reading a few pages of legislation, being given a set of facts, and then having to answer a few questions by interpreting the meaning of the legislation and applying it to the facts. i am BAD at this, so hopefully tomorrow the lecturer gives a nice explanation of how we're meant to have answered the questions. For the q we're doing in class tomorrow, the legislation is about stalking. Basically, the legislation says that you're not allowed to stalk someone through "email, internet chatrooms or sms". The facts say that this guy was stalking a girl over twitter. We need to interpret a few different sections of the legislation and see if twitter should be included under "email, internet chatrooms or sms". There's a bit more to it than that, but i thought i would just give a brief example of what we have to do, in case anyone was interested!

Okay that's all for now goodnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 06:17:05 pm »
+6
5/10

Okay things that happened this week:

MONDAY
- i submitted my journalism research plan
- i had my public law class and i actually understood a lot of the statutory interpretation stuff, which was nice!
- i also finALLy started to understand the stuff we're talking about in torts. We were going through defences for negligence, and it made SEnSE, and also in our tutorials we went through structuring a response and i goT it !!!!

TUESDAY
- omgggg i was meant to have my history lecture today buT i got there, and everyone was sitting and waiting and the lecturer just didn't show up !!!!! and then after 20 minutes of everyone just sitting there, one of the tutors said "oh lol i just got an email, the lecturer is sick and not coming today!" and so class was cancelled !!! it would have been nice to get some notice lol, and because of the class being cancelled it meant that i had a 3 hour break until my next class ! i was just scared because we have to write a diary based partially on lecture content, and this was one of the lectures we HAVE to write about, but i think there will be a make up lecture next week possibly.
- At night I did my Public Law library quiz. it's only worth 10% and i got 18/20 for it, so it was alright. im not tOO upset about losing the 2 marks , because i'm still averaging 85% and all i have left is my exam worth 60% so hoPEfuLLY if i really do well on the exam i can get a nice mark for pub law!!!! i haven't been doing amazingly in my other subjects so im really relying on pub law to be my best mark this sem!

WEDNESDAY
- i had torts classes and they were alright and i understood things
- in my break at uni i applied for a job on campus ! nervOUSssss
- i tried to watch my journalism lecture online but idk why, but every time i try to watch an online lecture my laptop heats up sO much and the fan gets so loud!!! it only eveR happens for monash lectures, and only this year (since monash changed the program we watch lectures on.... suspicious !!!) anyway, so i couldn't get through the whole lecture because i was scared for my laptop but i don't think i missed too muCH. It's just annoying that i always have to watch journalism lectures online. Journalism is only at caulfield campus, and the lecture time is right in between when i have 2 clayton classes, so it is physically impossible for me to get to the journalism lecture and back in time. But after this semester i won't need to go to caulfield anymore, because i'll have finished my journalism minor, so that will be fun.

THURSDAY
- today i only had my journalism tutorial and it was fine , and then i borrowed library books for my journalism essay !!! now i've got to try and write a practice essay for torts.

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 06:59:47 pm »
+1
5/10

Okay things that happened this week:

MONDAY
- i submitted my journalism research plan
- i had my public law class and i actually understood a lot of the statutory interpretation stuff, which was nice!
- i also finALLy started to understand the stuff we're talking about in torts. We were going through defences for negligence, and it made SEnSE, and also in our tutorials we went through structuring a response and i goT it !!!!

TUESDAY
- omgggg i was meant to have my history lecture today buT i got there, and everyone was sitting and waiting and the lecturer just didn't show up !!!!! and then after 20 minutes of everyone just sitting there, one of the tutors said "oh lol i just got an email, the lecturer is sick and not coming today!" and so class was cancelled !!! it would have been nice to get some notice lol, and because of the class being cancelled it meant that i had a 3 hour break until my next class ! i was just scared because we have to write a diary based partially on lecture content, and this was one of the lectures we HAVE to write about, but i think there will be a make up lecture next week possibly.
- At night I did my Public Law library quiz. it's only worth 10% and i got 18/20 for it, so it was alright. im not tOO upset about losing the 2 marks , because i'm still averaging 85% and all i have left is my exam worth 60% so hoPEfuLLY if i really do well on the exam i can get a nice mark for pub law!!!! i haven't been doing amazingly in my other subjects so im really relying on pub law to be my best mark this sem!

WEDNESDAY
- i had torts classes and they were alright and i understood things
- in my break at uni i applied for a job on campus ! nervOUSssss
- i tried to watch my journalism lecture online but idk why, but every time i try to watch an online lecture my laptop heats up sO much and the fan gets so loud!!! it only eveR happens for monash lectures, and only this year (since monash changed the program we watch lectures on.... suspicious !!!) anyway, so i couldn't get through the whole lecture because i was scared for my laptop but i don't think i missed too muCH. It's just annoying that i always have to watch journalism lectures online. Journalism is only at caulfield campus, and the lecture time is right in between when i have 2 clayton classes, so it is physically impossible for me to get to the journalism lecture and back in time. But after this semester i won't need to go to caulfield anymore, because i'll have finished my journalism minor, so that will be fun.

THURSDAY
- today i only had my journalism tutorial and it was fine , and then i borrowed library books for my journalism essay !!! now i've got to try and write a practice essay for torts.
That sucks about the lecture, I always hate when they don't give advanced notice.
I also wish you the best for torts, I have heard many, many horror stories about the subject from various students studying law.
What campus job did you apply for?
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 07:18:15 pm »
+1
That sucks about the lecture, I always hate when they don't give advanced notice.

i know! all he had to do was message 20 mins earlier!

I also wish you the best for torts, I have heard many, many horror stories about the subject from various students studying law.

thanks haha, i'm finding it pretty hard so far but hopefully i can get on top of it before the exam next month!

What campus job did you apply for?

Student success adviser! so basically you just call new first year students to make sure they're settling in to uni alright

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 07:27:43 pm »
+1
TUESDAY
Okay, we have the same lecturer, aha! Thankfully, we weren't left hanging for twenty minutes though. It was annoying they didn't send out an email though because I wouldn't have bothered coming in. I ended up clocking up four or five hours in the library though, so I guess it wasn't a total waste of time! :P

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 07:37:08 pm »
+1
Okay, we have the same lecturer, aha! Thankfully, we weren't left hanging for twenty minutes though. It was annoying they didn't send out an email though because I wouldn't have bothered coming in. I ended up clocking up four or five hours in the library though, so I guess it wasn't a total waste of time! :P
You can never not do work in the library, unless you too busy reading/admiring all the books/journals/articles they house. I may or may not do this when I'm bored or want to procrastinate... :P
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 07:38:18 pm »
+2

I had a friend and for him it was his only class for the whole day!! so he came in to uni for nothing !
But yeah haha getting extra time in the library was also pretty useful for me!