Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:40:08 am

Author Topic: Soft tissue injuries  (Read 4553 times)  Share 

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
Soft tissue injuries
« on: October 06, 2017, 02:44:28 pm »
I was just looking at one of the questions from 2011 which said "Outline types of soft tissue injuries"

In the sample answers they only included tears, sprains and contusions, how come lacerations, skin abrasions and blisters were not included?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

Juliesokha

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
Re: Soft tissue injuries
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 04:02:33 pm »
+2
Probably because it was from an old Syllabus? :/

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 04:12:43 pm »
+4
I was just looking at one of the questions from 2011 which said "Outline types of soft tissue injuries"

In the sample answers they only included tears, sprains and contusions, how come lacerations, skin abrasions and blisters were not included?
I'm not sure what the correct answer is according to your HSC syllabus, but to me, the reason is the distinction between skin injuries and soft tissue (muscle, ligaments, tendons, etc.) injuries - they tend to be a different mechanism, different things happen at a cellular level, etc.
Technically, skin is a soft tissue, but I also see it get classified separately. I guess you can also talk about this as the difference between "open" wounds and "closed" wounds, but that's probably going off on a tangent.

There's also a general triphasic healing response that occurs (broadly speaking) with soft tissue injuries (inflammatory, repair and remodelling phases) - and I'd imagine that skin follows a bit of a different healing pattern.

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 04:18:29 pm »
+3
Another point could potentially be because of the weighting of the question. It was only a 3 marker, so it makes sense that the sample answer only included three examples. The actual 2011 'Marking Guidelines' didn't restrict it to just those three, so I'd assume that the others that you listed are also correct. I just checked the PDHPE syllabus and the others you listed are classified as a soft tissue, so I'd assume they'd be correct if you mentioned them too.
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!