Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 09:20:47 am

Author Topic: English Standard: Mod C (Educating Rita)  (Read 1515 times)

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
English Standard: Mod C (Educating Rita)
« on: October 14, 2017, 09:06:44 am »
Hey guys :)

I've put my Mod C Speech (no related text so it's short) in the spoiler below, any feedback is appreciated!

Spoiler
Transitions into new phases of life may result in new ideas and attitudes for the individual.
To what extent do you agree with this statement in light of your study of Educating Rita?

Today I will be addressing the statement “Transitions into new phases of life may result in new ideas and attitudes for the individual” in relation to the two-hander play, Educating Rita, by Willy Russell. In my opinion, ideas and attitudes are significantly altered through transitions, and Russell conveys this concept through the use of various language and dramatic techniques such as stage directions, anaphora, and allusions to show the effect that transitions have on the protagonists, Rita and Frank.

Rita’s transition from a working class hairdresser to an educated woman results in a significant shift of her beliefs and attitudes. The hyperbole used in “What do you want to know? Everything.” exemplifies Rita’s desire to expand her knowledge and escape the restrictions placed upon the working class. Later on in the play, stage directions reveal that she is speaking in an affected voice. “As Trish says, there is not a lot of point in discussing beautiful literature in an ugly voice… He was an idiot. His argument just crumbled.” Her unquestioning acceptance of Trish’s advice has resulted in her becoming superficial and conceited. The use of a conjunction and a possessive pronoun in “But, Rita, these aren’t your views.” highlights how disappointed Frank is regarding Rita having to sacrifice her unique viewpoint in order to conform to educational standards. In addition, Rita’s self-reflection on her experience of education exemplifies how she has seen through the pretentiousness of her classmates. This is seen in “I was so hungry. I wanted it all so much that I didn’t want to be questioned.” The anaphora and cumulative listing in “I might go to France; I might go to me mother’s... I dunno. I’ll make the decision, I’ll choose. I dunno.” emphasises the fact that Rita now has the ability to choose which direction she wants to take in her life. “I’m gonna take ten years off you…” The contraction and informal language showcases how Rita, having acquired the skills to analyse literature, has incorporated her distinctive individuality in her identity.

Moreover, Russell initially portrays Frank as being disenchanted with the academic world, having lost his passion. Stage directions portray Frank as searching for alcohol behind his books, emphasizing how disillusioned he has become with teaching. The use of a hyperbolic metaphor in “you’re the first breath of fresh air that’s been in this room for years.” explores how Rita has revitalised his passion for literature. Stage directions indicate that he is writing poetry, signifying how his attitude towards literature has changed. However, his transition is hindered by Rita’s transformation into a pretentious student: “Oh I’ve done a fine job on you, haven’t I? … I shall insist upon being called Mary, Mary Shelley”. Russell’s allusion to Frankenstein showcases Frank’s disappointment in himself, as he believes that he created a monster that he can no longer control. Frank’s alcoholism has resulted in him having to teach for two years in Australia. “It’s a paradise for the likes of me… Things are just beginning there.” The use of “paradise” connotes a new stage of life, and Frank is being optimistic about what the future holds for him. Although Frank’s transition into a new stage of his life was not without barriers, he is ready to shift into a new phase at the end of the play through the influence of Rita.

In conclusion, Russell delves into the transitions of Rita and Frank, effectively conveying how their ideas and attitudes are significantly altered. Rita’s transition has resulted in her attaining a more realistic perspective of the educated class, and Frank’s transition has resulted in him reacquiring his enthusiasm for life

Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Standard: Mod C (Educating Rita)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 12:49:23 am »
+1
Sure thing Jess - A few comments, I'll try and focus on feedback that will port over to an essay format :)

- In the introduction, try and hone in on the sorts of ways ideas/attitudes are altered, and the impacts this can have. Right now it is fairly broad, be sure to tailor to whatever question is in front of you at a given time.
- Try to keep your quotes as short as possible while still giving the technique you are representing. Use ellipsis if you need to. Save yourself the time and energy!
- Ensure your analysis is conceptual. For example, you conclude a sentence with "highlights how disappointed Frank is regarding Rita having to sacrifice her unique viewpoint in order to conform to educational standards." Instead, I'd be looking for, "highlights how conforming to standards can be detrimental to unique viewpoints." Or similar. Same thought, but doesn't rely on characters - A more sophisticated approach.
- Ditto, ensure you are really minimising how much you discuss characters and plot. Assume your marker has read the text and understands it well!
- Ensure your paragraphs have clear, distinct conclusions.
- Ensure every quote has a technique associated with it!
- Try and make some links between technique and effect more specifically (EG - imagery allows the audience to visualise something, rhetorical questions arouse consideration/critical thinking, sound devices accentuate lines - Link the technique to what it actually does!)