Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:22:30 am

Author Topic: Positive affirmations before an exam.  (Read 1717 times)

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
Positive affirmations before an exam.
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:16:31 pm »
I'm a big believer in confidence in an exam and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how I can both walk in confident tomorrow knowing I've done all I can and also what can I do if I start to lose confidence while I'm in the exam due to not understanding the unseen texts or whatever because losing confidence early will be a detriment to the other sections as well.

Also, I don't in the whole 'I haven't studied at all; I'm so screwed.' but if I do see someone that isn't coping well, how should I deal with them. Like I don't want them to make me stressed but I also don't want to ignore them because I know I would really appreciate someone helping me to calm down before I walk in.

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
Re: Positive affirmations before an exam.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 10:06:11 pm »
+4
I'm a big believer in confidence in an exam and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how I can both walk in confident tomorrow knowing I've done all I can and also what can I do if I start to lose confidence while I'm in the exam due to not understanding the unseen texts or whatever because losing confidence early will be a detriment to the other sections as well.

Also, I don't in the whole 'I haven't studied at all; I'm so screwed.' but if I do see someone that isn't coping well, how should I deal with them. Like I don't want them to make me stressed but I also don't want to ignore them because I know I would really appreciate someone helping me to calm down before I walk in.
How to walk in with confidence? Like you said that Knowing you did all you can and making sure you don't forget that.
How to not lose it and break down in the exam.
Couple of methods
-Breathe and calm down. Focus on what is in front of you and what you need to do.
Eg: I need to make a plan, so write the prompt, write "intro", write a dot point on it, repeat again, now write "para 1", write some dot pts on that, etc.
Do that until you calm down. This helps because you are sure what to do and helps you not panic

-Close the paper and imagine relaxation/positive self-talk/breathing exercises
:Sometimes you need to get away from it all for a bit. So close the thing freaking you out and breathe
:Tell your self you can do this, that everything is alright, don't panic, relax, make a plan.
:Imagine in your relaxation place and stay there till you feel relaxed and ready to do the exam
:Focus on your breath via taking deep breathes for 10 times or so. To calm your self and not get emotional.

As for helping others, I wouldn't recommend helping yourself. I was a person that would get stressed over it. Either refer them to a teacher or their friends. If they are your friend, talk about something not about the exam and calm them down. Don't answer content questions because this really shakes confidence, if they start doubting your answer and question it. Make them realise that this doesn't define them and just do the best on the exam. You could also say that if you don't do well, i'll be there for you after the exam.

This may seem harsh, but sometimes you can't save them all, no matter what you do.

I wish you all the best and it sucks that HSC is starting soon. As I'm in the process of drafting a post on this topic tied in with stress, anxiety, negativity.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Positive affirmations before an exam.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:14:48 pm »
+6
Might sound silly, but being a little cocky (even if just to yourself) is a good thing on the exam morning. Someone asks "how are you feeling? and you say "Actually, really good thanks" rather than playing into the "omg we're all screwed" kinda vibe which could dampen your mojo.

Then in the exam, take everything as it comes. Breathe, and always be ready for the game plan yknow. Don't play into the total panic, and instead take it all as it comes, be proactive and don't wallow! If something comes up that makes you feel anxious or unsure, make a plan, don't spiral down into panic. You've got yourself. Just you in that exam room, at that moment only you can change the way you feel.

Good luck!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!