Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:19:44 am

Author Topic: Financial Literacy: How important is it? Can it improve the maths problem?  (Read 637 times)  Share 

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
I have been recently been reading the series on Financial Literacy by The Conversation and I was wondering what the AN communities thoughts are on this.
Here is the series

Some notable quotes from the articles.
Quote from: Financial Literacy is a public policy problem
  A survey of adult financial literacy in Australia found that in 2014 the number of people who could actually recognise an investment was “too good to be true” - for example a financial asset promising to pay a return much higher than the going return on similar assets and for no greater risk - had actually declined, to 50% from 53% just three years earlier.

Quote from: There are serious problems with the concept of 'financial literacy'
It is certainly tempting to think that simply learning about money management could improve financial well-being. But the reality is there are a whole host of economic, political and cultural issues that play into whether someone fits the definition of “financially literate”.

Quote from: Teaching kids about maths using money can set them up for financial security
One of the most common complaints children have about learning maths is its lack of relevance to their lives outside school. When they fail to see the importance of maths to their current and future lives, they often lose interest.

This results in opting out of mathematics study as soon as they can, and proclaiming they are “not good at maths”.

Financial literacy – learning about budgeting, saving, investing and basic financial decision making – taught by both parents and teachers can help keep them engaged.

Would teaching financial math keep higher retention rates for students studying mathematics? Could it even improve the gender split and stop the complaint of "maths isn't relevant. why bother trying doing well"? Will it also makes citizens realise how bad the government is at spending money?
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.