Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 10:04:58 pm

Author Topic: My friend is in Sydney until Monday - what should she do?  (Read 1614 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
My friend is in Sydney until Monday - what should she do?
« on: November 10, 2017, 10:51:24 am »
+3
NSWers, help me out here. I have a friend (from Melbourne) in Sydney until Monday. What are the best things to do? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: My friend is in Sydney until Monday - what should she do?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 11:07:23 am »
+10
- visit the df (@ nsw meet-up ;) )
- darling harbour has a few things to do
- also circular quay if you want to see the harbour bridge and opera house
- beaches! (if i'm not mistaken, "sculptures by the sea" are on)
- national park walks are really nice if your friend has time, i recommend the sydney harbour one (mosman) or the royal national park

that's all i can think of at the moment! anyone else have suggestions?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 11:12:48 am »
+3
- visit the df (@ nsw meet-up ;) )
- darling harbour has a few things to do
- also circular quay if you want to see the harbour bridge and opera house
- beaches! (if i'm not mistaken, "sculptures by the sea" are on)
- national park walks are really nice if your friend has time, i recommend the sydney harbour one (mosman) or the royal national park

that's all i can think of at the moment! anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks for this! :D

What is/are sculptures by the sea?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 11:34:28 am »
+5
Thanks for this! :D

Sculptures that are put up near the sea in Sydney (around Bondi ), its about a few kilometer walk.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 11:48:44 am »
+9

Sculptures by the Sea is basically an annual art exhibition show along Tamarama beach to Bondi beach, featuring a lot of installation works and sculptures. All you friend has to do is take a bus from Bondi Junction down to Tamarama beach then start walking until Bondi beach where they can grab lunch or swim at the beach. The exhibition is free btw !

Also some other places in Sydney I would recommend:

- Coastal walk: This is a 8.8km walk from Maroubra beach to Bondi beach. On the way, you pass beaches such as Coogee, Gordon's Bay, Clovelly, Bronte (my favourite beach!), Tamarama til you get to Bondi. You don't have to do the entire walk. You can start from Coogee to Bronte/Bondi. It usually takes around 2-4 hours, depending on your pace and stamina.
- Luna Park: It is an amusement park if your friend is interested in those
- Darling Harbour: You can visit Madame Tussauds, Sydney Aquarium and the Zoo. There are also bars and restaurants in the area if your friend prefers going during the night
- Taronga Zoo: very tourist-y spot
- Circular Quay as fantasticbeasts3 mentioned ;) would recommend the fish and chips they sell here!!
- Sydney Tower: Not only you get amazing views but you can also have a buffet with over 40 international dishes served. Though you do need to book in advance...
- Chinese Gardens: located in Darling Harbour. It's so cute and it's definitely a must go!
- Blue Mountains: If you friend has time, the mountains are a 2-3 hour train ride away from Central if I'm not mistaken
- Art Galleries: Would recommend the Art Gallery of New South Wales and Museum of Contemporary Art. Works from the Rijksmuseum in the Netherlands (made by Rembrandht and other) will be displayed from tomorrow til Feb.
- The Rocks: A lot of history here!
- St Mary's Cathedral: This is a very tourist-y spot. Nice place to take photos.
- Royal Botanical Gardens: just a nice nature, outdoor-sy area to go to.
- Newtown: probably the MOST hipster place I have ever visited. They have good restaurants and bars here. Just a 10-15 minute bus ride from Central.
- Manly beach: Haven't visited but I've heard its a really nice beach
- Watson's Bay + Camp Cove: Watson's bay is just a 20-30 minute bus ride from Bondi Junction or you can catch a ferry from Circular Quay. The Camp Cove beach is a five minute walk from Watson's Bay but its a really small beach. It's quite nice as it isn't as busy as Bondi or Coogee.

I feel like there's more but that's all basically from the top of my head ^^
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 12:08:06 pm »
+4
I'm pretty sure Sculptures by the Sea is over! But yeah I would definitely recommend Royal National Park - went yesterday and it is incredible :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 12:18:34 pm »
+4
Pittwater is lovely! Bronte beach is nice too. Pretty sure Newtown Festival is on this weekend as well!

White Rabbit Gallery is a free art gallery in Redfern which is really neat. Redfern, Newtown, Surrey Hills and Glebe in general are all pretty cool suburbs. Tonnes of markets on the weekends in Rozelle and Glebe.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 12:36:31 pm »
+4
Jet boat at Circular Quay? So much fun, BUT is not too cheap, and is more fun with a group of people
But most of the walks around Sydney harbour are gorgeous, especially in beautiful weather...what's the weather for this weekend? That could influence some decisions  :D