Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:24:04 pm

Author Topic: Firefox Quantum (57.0) released  (Read 1815 times)  Share 

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Firefox Quantum (57.0) released
« on: November 19, 2017, 12:49:34 pm »
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/11/14/introducing-firefox-quantum/

Thoughts? I've been a user of Firefox for quite some time now and the improvements are clearly visible. Faster pageload etc. too.

Compare it to your current web browser and post your thoughts :)

Download: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?scene=2

If you use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge, perhaps it's time to get into the 21st century :)
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Floatzel98

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Firefox Quantum (57.0) released
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 02:03:09 pm »
+1
Unfortunately in my use so far I haven't seen any performance improvements. It still feels like old firefox at the moment. If anything it's still slower than Chrome in most instances. I'm still using both Firefox and Chrome at the moment though. I'll give it more time and see if I notice any improvements. Might finally switch back to Firefox if it does improve.
2016 - 2019: Bachelor of Science Advanced - Research (Honours) [Physics and Mathematics] @ Monash University

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 04:43:45 pm »
+1
I have noticed some performance improvement although i'm still experimenting with settings like the content process limit and the about:config as well.
As for the design well, it'll grow on me. I'm not going to make a final judgement until I get all my add-ons and extensions to work on this.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 04:46:40 pm »
Unfortunately in my use so far I haven't seen any performance improvements. It still feels like old firefox at the moment. If anything it's still slower than Chrome in most instances. I'm still using both Firefox and Chrome at the moment though. I'll give it more time and see if I notice any improvements. Might finally switch back to Firefox if it does improve.

That's unfortunate. I've been constantly using FF for a while so the changeover ensures I view minor changes as well as the bigg-er ones.

I have noticed some performance improvement although i'm still experimenting with settings like the content process limit and the about:config as well.
As for the design well, it'll grow on me. I'm not going to make a final judgement until I get all my add-ons and extensions to work on this.

The design is a change, that's for sure. I feel as if this browser is brighter or utilises more white than the previous versions. I wear glasses so Quantum makes my eyes play up slightly. Like you said, it'll grow on me. Extensions are fine. I use uBlock Origin for ad-blocking and the compatibility is there.

I would imagine most extensions are compatible as Quantum has been in alpha for a few months now.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 05:44:47 pm »
+2
Really liking it so far actually. Feel like its a nice change from Chrome, and for me it's been just as fast; much faster than the old version of Firefox. However, I don't think the mobile app has been improved nearly as much, still falls short in performance and design to chrome for me.