Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:31:22 am

Poll

The phone brand I currently have is..

Apple iPhone
31 (52.5%)
Samsung
15 (25.4%)
Sony
2 (3.4%)
LG
0 (0%)
Google (Nexus/Pixel/etc)
2 (3.4%)
HTC
2 (3.4%)
Motorola / Lenovo
2 (3.4%)
Oppo
2 (3.4%)
Phone not listed (provide details in post)
3 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Let's talk phones!  (Read 6189 times)  Share 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Let's talk phones!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 01:40:25 am »
+7
Have had a Samsung Galaxy S5 for 2-3 years now. No real problems and have no intention of "upgrading" since I dont even know of any new features anyway although I don't really use my phone that much (or use it to it's full capabilities). I only really use it for instagram, messenger/whatsapp, spotify and a tiny bit of youtube.

Only thing stopping me from getting an iphone is that I'd crack the screen on the first day :P .

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 07:13:58 am »
+5
iPhone 5 :P There's nothing wrong with calls/text/data usage and there are no cracks in the screen, but the battery dies out within a day even when I keep it on low power battery mode :( I permanently have a portable power pack in case the battery runs out (most of the time it does).

Previous phone history in no particular order:

Samsung Galaxy S3, Nokia Lumia 800, Nokia 3310, Motorola W375
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:13:56 pm by Jess1113 »
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 11:05:28 am »
+6
Seems like I'm the only one here to have a Sony phone  :'(

I have the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua, bought it on sale, and honestly I love it so much. The camera is really good, the overall appearance is nice, it isn't slow, it uses Android  and the battery life is okay (doesn't drain too fast). The only drawbacks are that it is quite big (have to put it in my bag since half of it always poked out of my pocket) and a little heavy. It also used to overheat every now and then, although I think this was due to 'Subway Surfers' since it stopped overheating when I uninstalled it.
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 11:16:34 am »
+5
I got a iPhone 5C (pink back) as a hand-me-down from one of my mum’s friends late 2015. It has 32G of storage which is enough for me (got over 2G spare). It’s only on iOS 10, but it still works fairly well. I use it more for music/internet/camera then for calls/texts. Cameras pretty good for what I want. I’ve dropped it a few times and theres still not a crack yet. Battery’s ok, but I still need to charge it almost every night.
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 12:40:00 pm »
+4
Before I had my current phone, I had the Samsung Galaxy S5 (which I dropped and ruined the screen lmao) For me, the biggest difference between my current iPhone 6S and my old phone was the design of the homepage layout. I don't know the official name but basically where the apps and stuff are.
I think the iPhone 6S's camera quality is better than the S5's. I'm pretty simple in terms of what I need in a phone. Something I can use to call people, text people, download social media apps for, easy to transfer photos and videos + easy to download music. Apple's iTunes system where you'd have to plug in your phone to transfer music was so bothersome, but they have Apple Music now so life's a bit easier. I also like the AirDrop function as it allows me to transfer files between my laptop and phone, or my phone and my friends' phones.
For cons, the maintenance costs are pretty scary. If I ever majorly crack my screen, I doubt I'd go to the Apple store to get it fixed tbh. It is SO expensive!!! Also, the battery drains pretty quickly too, even with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned off.
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 01:51:44 pm »
+6
I've been using a Nexus 5X for the last year and a half or so.
Spoiler
Love most things about the phone, such as the screen size, front facing speakers, camera and the stock android experience. However, my first one bootlooped after a year, and I had to get it replaced. The 2GB of RAM also isn't really enough, having a noticeable impact on performance, and I do wish the battery was a bit larger. I think its just a matter of time before it bootloops again, would love to get a Pixel 2 when it happens but I can't justify the price tag (and those thick bezels)!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:53:38 pm by Vaike »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 02:33:18 pm »
+4
Quote from: Vaike
I've been using a Nexus 5X for the last year and a half or so.
The first sensible post here (not including mine of course, duh!) :)

Quote from: Vaike
would love to get a Pixel 2 when it happens but I can't justify the price tag (and those thick bezels)!
I bought an XL the other day. The issues described in reviews are overblown and 8.1.0 Oreo fixed quite a number of them. As a tech geek I really like the idea of stock Android and the first to get updates. The performance on this phone is a beast. I have been using this phone all day today and yesterday, i'm still on 55% battery. It's a rough price tag but try to get a bargain somewhere.

IMO the only thing stopping me from getting the OnePlus 5T was the lack of Australian support. I would rather pay a bit more to receive aussie support in the event of warranty concern etc... and making sure it complies with all Australian standards etc (which is a requirement to sell directly in Australia.. OnePlus did have a brief sale event in Aus but this has ceased).

Unless of course you enjoy bloatware on your phone that you can't get rid of (Samsung, LG etc) and closed-source/completely locked down making room for modification quite small (iPhone).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:02:05 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 03:23:10 pm »
+4
It's a rough price tag but try to get a bargain somewhere.

Awesome to hear you're enjoying your new Pixel! Getting a grey import first generation Pixel is probably the only way I could afford such a phone. The first generation is not quite as pretty, but honestly should still probably do the job, for just a little bit more than half the cost of the Pixel 2. In any case, I'll be waiting for my Nexus to die first, so who knows, maybe there will be some better deals on the 2 around by then! Although I very much doubt it, Google doesn't like dropping its price :-(

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 03:40:39 pm »
Although I very much doubt it, Google doesn't like dropping its price :-(

That's where they lost a lot of business. Nexus was reputable for being that budget phone with stock android and high quality builds... unfortunately.. not anymore. I think OnePlus is starting to take over that space. Have you seen the specs on their OnePlus 5/5T? Amazeballs. However a high SAR rating and no aus support means no $$ from me :)

But, what do you expect? High quality stuff isn't cheap.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 04:08:44 pm »
+6
Currently have a Samsung Galaxy S8 - I've had a number of different (Android) phones over the years, but never have had (and never intend on buying) an iPhone.

I've found that TouchWiz has definitely improved over the years, but there is probably still room for improvement.

Pros: Camera is great, has a headphone jack, fantastic display and screen, very fast processing, software is relatively customisable and the battery is still going strong.

Cons: Bixby - I'm not a fan of Bixby or the dedicated Bixby button on the device; I much prefer Google Assistant.
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 10:18:57 pm »
+4
Sorry iphone users, but its the truth...
Can't argue with the facts..  :P :P
(btw i own a samsung galaxy s7-a wonderful phone. I've also had experiences with the iphone 4s and 6s as i owned both for a while and they were rubbish tbh)
Anyway...just gonna leave this here...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:20:55 pm by Mada438 »
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 10:32:45 pm »
+7
feel like the odd one out here - 7 years straight of only android phones and I couldn't stand them (two HTC's and one that I can't remember the name of). Found them so difficult to use, and really unsuitable for the stuff I wanted to use them for (I'm a teenage girl, sue me for wanting the ability to take a decent photo for snapchat rather than a weird blurry mess ::) ) My most recent android was a pretty high up there HTC - I found the battery life to be appalling, loading speed rubbish and would also randomly miss call sometimes for no reason? Recently upgraded to an iphone 7 and I have experienced clarity and ease I didn't know was possible with a phone.

Maybe for a phone aficionado androids are the better pick, but aside from the price, the iphones gotta do it for me for regular, every day use.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 12:25:05 am »
Google doesn't like dropping its price :-([/sub][/sub]

I'm not so sure about that. It looks like the price is dropping every month. You can currently get a 64gb Pixel 2 for $814 and it was more towards ~$1000+ less than a month ago. 2 months ago it was ~$1100

Wait some months and it will definitely be at a great price.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:26:36 am by exit »
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]

Jakeybaby

• Trendsetter
  • Grad Year: 2016
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 04:53:34 am »
+1
I've got an iPhone X and Animoji >.
Great camera and like the portrait mode.
The notch at the top is kinda annoying at first, but you don't even see it after using the phone for a while.
2016 ATAR: 98.60

2020: Bachelor of Finance @ University of Adelaide

Recipient of the 2017 University of Adelaide Principals' Scholarship

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2017, 03:41:12 pm »
+3
That's where they lost a lot of business. Nexus was reputable for being that budget phone with stock android and high quality builds... unfortunately.. not anymore. I think OnePlus is starting to take over that space. Have you seen the specs on their OnePlus 5/5T? Amazeballs. However a high SAR rating and no aus support means no $$ from me :)
I miss the Nexus line :( I still think the original Nexus 5 was easily one of the best performance/dollar phones ever made. Yeah, the OP5T looks amazing. Love the design and the little notification slider. I honestly have no idea what a SAR rating is (whoops), I'll have to look into it.

Currently have a Samsung Galaxy S8 - I've had a number of different (Android) phones over the years, but never have had (and never intend on buying) an iPhone.
  So jealous! The S8 is so beautiful. Do you use a case? One of my friends has one, didn't want to cover up it up with a case, before dropping it, shattering both the front and back glass panels. He uses a case now  :'(

I'm not so sure about that. It looks like the price is dropping every month. You can currently get a 64gb Pixel 2 for $814 and it was more towards ~$1000+ less than a month ago. 2 months ago it was ~$1100
Yeah, you're right. I just wish it dropped significantly like some other companies phones do; you can get an LG G6 for around $500, but I don't see the Pixel 2 dropping that low (and perhaps rightly so). Hope I'm wrong!