Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:56:17 pm

Author Topic: How difficult is it to transfer into physio at UniMelb or Monash?  (Read 6758 times)  Share 

thelolcat

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Hi guys! Just wondering what the needed WAM is in order to be considered for transfer into the Physiotherapy course at Monash or Latrobe? And how many spots are available for transfer?

Thanks in advance!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: How difficult is it to transfer into physio at UniMelb or Monash?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:52:07 pm »
Hi guys! Just wondering what the needed WAM is in order to be considered for transfer into the Physiotherapy course at Monash or Latrobe? And how many spots are available for transfer?

Thanks in advance!
I don't think there is any guranteed/set amount of spots to transfer and that will depend from year to year.

From a monash perspective (since I only know about that):

One of my friends ended up getting in (transfer) with a WAM ~85 after 1 year but he did also say that a lot others got in with WAMs at the lower end  ~ low 70's WAM.

Also from your title you mention UniMelb which is post grad physio so you won't be transferring.

thelolcat

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 05:02:56 pm »
I don't think there is any guranteed/set amount of spots to transfer and that will depend from year to year.

From a monash perspective (since I only know about that):

One of my friends ended up getting in (transfer) with a WAM ~85 after 1 year but he did also say that a lot others got in with WAMs at the lower end  ~ low 70's WAM.

Also from your title you mention UniMelb which is post grad physio so you won't be transferring.

Oh okay, cool! Do you know how many available spots there were in your friend’s year, since I’m trying to gauge my chances of successfully transferring into Physio haha

And is a WAM of 70 difficult to maintain, in your opinion? Also was it easy/difficult for your friend to maintain such a high WAM?

Thanks so much in advance!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 05:13:33 pm »
Oh okay, cool! Do you know how many available spots there were in your friend’s year, since I’m trying to gauge my chances of successfully transferring into Physio haha

And is a WAM of 70 difficult to maintain, in your opinion? Also was it easy/difficult for your friend to maintain such a high WAM?

Thanks so much in advance!

not too sure how many places there was but it will differ every year

I personally don't think a 70WAM is too difficult to keep up as long as you are doing units suited to your strengths and stuff that you enjoy. Not sure how hard it was for him, he is generally very hardworking so put in a lot of time for is work. Although people could put less effort get higher or more effort and get lower.  Having said that imo at uni you are generally getting scores that you deserve in terms of working hard whilst inherent ability will make it easier to achieve those goals.

If I was seriously wanting to transfer to physio I would be at least for 80+ WAM tbh.

thelolcat

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 05:40:16 pm »
not too sure how many places there was but it will differ every year

I personally don't think a 70WAM is too difficult to keep up as long as you are doing units suited to your strengths and stuff that you enjoy. Not sure how hard it was for him, he is generally very hardworking so put in a lot of time for is work. Although people could put less effort get higher or more effort and get lower.  Having said that imo at uni you are generally getting scores that you deserve in terms of working hard whilst inherent ability will make it easier to achieve those goals.

If I was seriously wanting to transfer to physio I would be at least for 80+ WAM tbh.

Alright thanks, and also would you happen to know how the Peninsula campus is like? In terms of the student environment and stuff like that, because since it is a smaller campus perhaps it’s a little limited? Any thoughts?

Thanks?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:30:30 pm »
+4
Alright thanks, and also would you happen to know how the Peninsula campus is like? In terms of the student environment and stuff like that, because since it is a smaller campus perhaps it’s a little limited? Any thoughts?

Thanks?
Seeing as the Peninsula campus is my campus, I can answer this :)

It's way quieter than Clayton, but there's a good sense of community between people in your course because it's a smaller environment. Obviously there's less food options and stuff on campus, but the library is great (and you can always get a seat!) and it's a really nice, peaceful and picturesque campus. The facilities are good, and overall I'm really pleased with it. Honestly, I prefer it over Clayton!

Like at any campus or any uni, you can make friends if you want to, or you can keep to yourself if you want to. Your experience will be entirely what you make it out to be. If you're curious, I'd go check it out for yourself. :)

thelolcat

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 07:06:26 pm »

It's way quieter than Clayton, but there's a good sense of community between people in your course because it's a smaller environment. Obviously there's less food options and stuff on campus, but the library is great (and you can always get a seat!) and it's a really nice, peaceful and picturesque campus. The facilities are good, and overall I'm really pleased with it. Honestly, I prefer it over Clayton!

Like at any campus or any uni, you can make friends if you want to, or you can keep to yourself if you want to. Your experience will be entirely what you make it out to be. If you're curious, I'd go check it out for yourself. :)

Oh hey K888! Thanks for the reply!

thelolcat

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 12:29:28 pm »

Hey by the way, is doing another degree at Monash then transferring the only way to get into the Monash Physio course? Or is there an alternative since I know Latrobe has one

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 04:32:10 pm »
+3
Hey by the way, is doing another degree at Monash then transferring the only way to get into the Monash Physio course? Or is there an alternative since I know Latrobe has one
No, you can do a degree at another uni and transfer into the Monash course. There's several people that I know of in my cohort who have come from Deakin, UniMelb, etc. :)

So yeah, you can start or do another degree at a different uni and still get into physio at Monash. I think all applications for Monash physio are through VTAC (rather than transferring internally if you're a Monash student) so it doesn't make a difference.

thelolcat

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 05:23:29 pm »
No, you can do a degree at another uni and transfer into the Monash course. There's several people that I know of in my cohort who have come from Deakin, UniMelb, etc. :)

So yeah, you can start or do another degree at a different uni and still get into physio at Monash. I think all applications for Monash physio are through VTAC (rather than transferring internally if you're a Monash student) so it doesn't make a difference.

Oh I see, but in both cases you’d spend a first year doing whatever degree, and then actually start the Physio course the following year so totalling 5 years in the end?

And I’m guessing there’s no special consideration for acceptance from Monash for its own students already studying there?

Thanks!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 06:02:48 pm »
+3
Oh I see, but in both cases you’d spend a first year doing whatever degree, and then actually start the Physio course the following year so totalling 5 years in the end?

And I’m guessing there’s no special consideration for acceptance from Monash for its own students already studying there?

Thanks!
Yeah, it will take a total of 5 years in the end. But really, what's an extra year? At the end of year 12, it seems huge, but trust me, once you start uni you realise that it's nothing, and can potentially be really helpful, particularly if you're not 100% that it's the pathway you want to follow.

I'm honestly not sure about your second question - I really doubt it tbh, but I think that's a question best asked of Monash themselves - here's the link to their contact details. From my experience, there seems to be an equal mixture of people who have transferred from different universities, but who knows. :)

thelolcat

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 12:11:48 am »
Yeah, it will take a total of 5 years in the end. But really, what's an extra year? At the end of year 12, it seems huge, but trust me, once you start uni you realise that it's nothing, and can potentially be really helpful, particularly if you're not 100% that it's the pathway you want to follow.

I'm honestly not sure about your second question - I really doubt it tbh, but I think that's a question best asked of Monash themselves - here's the link to their contact details. From my experience, there seems to be an equal mixture of people who have transferred from different universities, but who knows. :)

Oh ok I see, I’ll check it out with Monash :p

Hope you don’t mind me going a lil off topic but to my knowledge you’d be able to transfer from any degree, however I’ve heard of things called credits from b science, attained by doing subjects relevant to Physio? Does studying these credited subjects in the first year all up save you a year? Or is it just a minimal exemption from a few ‘topics’, though you’d still have to do the full five years?

Also, what do you think of occupational therapy? How about it in relation to Physiotherapy (pros/cons)?

Sorry if I’m asking a lot of questions, you’ve been really helpful so thank you!!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 12:28:57 am »
+1
Re: credit transfer, that may occur at La Trobe (unsure), but it doesn't occur at Monash. The reason for this is at Monash you study one 24 point unit per semester (rather than four 6 point units), and as the physio units are only offered in the physio degree, it's impossible to do some of the units in a different degree and get a credit transfer.

You won't get exemptions from topics or anything but I guess it'll make it easier for you if you've studied similar content beforehand. But yeah, everyone does everything together in the Monash physio course :) I believe some people in my course already have qualifications in exercise science/physiology and they're still taking the same path as the rest of us. Plus, it's not like you know it all after you've done one unit on a particular thing, so even if you've covered similar content before, there's always more learning to be done.

Hope this made sense, please say so if it didn't :)
Will answer the OT vs physio question later, but in a nutshell, they're pretty different professions that often work together, and obviously everyone is going to have different thoughts about OT and physio. Personally I don't think I could be an OT but that's just because I was never drawn to it - personal preference.

I'd recommend checking out the Australian OT Association website (not sure of it's official name) and the APA (Australian Physiotherapy Association) website to check out more about both professions.