Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:45:49 pm

Author Topic: Anyone else got keratoconus? Applying for Special consideration/provision  (Read 1270 times)  Share 

William Astete

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
two years ago I was diagnosed with have keratoconus. Keratoconus is a degenerative disease that thins the cornea thus, distorting my vision rapidly. I went from 20/20 to 20/80 within 6-months. I have had two operations (corneal-cross linking) which has arrested this rapid progression. This has also meant that I have had to miss out or leave early from school - totalling to 34 days in Year 11. Currently, I recently got Hard Scleral contacts that has enabled me to get 20/30. I still get eye strain when I work for longer than 30 minutes and it times me a bit longer to focus on the work.

Thus, I am going to apply for Special Provision/Consideration to give me more time for SACs and to have 5-minute breaks to rest my eyes.

The purpose of this post is a) does anyone else have keratoconus and b) even if you don't have keratoconus but something else that has hindered your work and applied for Special Consideration/Provision.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
two years ago I was diagnosed with have keratoconus. Keratoconus is a degenerative disease that thins the cornea thus, distorting my vision rapidly. I went from 20/20 to 20/80 within 6-months. I have had two operations (corneal-cross linking) which has arrested this rapid progression. This has also meant that I have had to miss out or leave early from school - totalling to 34 days in Year 11. Currently, I recently got Hard Scleral contacts that has enabled me to get 20/30. I still get eye strain when I work for longer than 30 minutes and it times me a bit longer to focus on the work.

Thus, I am going to apply for Special Provision/Consideration to give me more time for SACs and to have 5-minute breaks to rest my eyes.

The purpose of this post is a) does anyone else have keratoconus and b) even if you don't have keratoconus but something else that has hindered your work and applied for Special Consideration/Provision.
I don't have leratpcpmus, but i do have special provisions.
I get the 5 minute rest breaks with extra time, and seperate supervision (meaning i complete all my exams in an area separate from the rest of the students)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
+1
I don’t have keratoconus but I did have Special Examination Arrangements for external assessments as well as SEAS. I’d recommend speaking with your school as soon as possible because IIRC, you will need to provide evidence/documentation quite early on in the year.

If you have any questions about the process, let me know. :)

William Astete

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Thank you Meda438 and Coffee for your response.

Yes, I will arrange this as soon as possible, evidence and documentation are all there.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Thank you Meda438 and Coffee for your response.

Yes, I will arrange this as soon as possible, evidence and documentation are all there.
Also, apply for as many types of special provisions as you can.
I have a disability with my hands which affects my writing skills especially for long periods of time and under duress. Originally i just had the rest breaks with extra time and separate supervision, but this wasn't really helping, so i took it further.
I applied for special considerations in the sense that i asked to be able to use a keyboard during examinations, this is now what i do. But at the time that i asked for this request, i also applied to keep the rest breaks with extra time and separate supervision as extras and this worked. So now i still have these special provisions and the ability to use a keyboard and computer to complete my exams.
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU