Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:09:17 pm

Author Topic: General Fashion Discussion Thread  (Read 10227 times)  Share 

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
Re: General Fashion Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 09:27:28 pm »
I could probably tell you what not to buy lol:
I used to use random sportswear backpacks (Nike, Adidas but the streetwear kind not performance/gym ones) until my Nike one was full, randomly broke and I had to hold all of my stuff on the tram ride of shame to MC where I bought a Herschel settlement and never looked back

most durable and comfy bag I've ever used

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 09:33:46 pm »
+2
I could probably tell you what not to buy lol:
I used to use random sportswear backpacks (Nike, Adidas but the streetwear kind not performance/gym ones) until my Nike one was full, randomly broke and I had to hold all of my stuff on the tram ride of shame to MC where I bought a Herschel settlement and never looked back

most durable and comfy bag I've ever used
Something very similar happened to me! Bought a bag which I filled to the brim, and the zip on it broke completely. Had to very awkwardly carry it to the train station and keep everything from spilling out.

I’ve been looking at the Settlement one in particular! Good to hear it’s comfortable.

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 09:36:35 pm »
+3

I’ve been looking at the Settlement one in particular! Good to hear it’s comfortable.

yep but at the start the straps feel kinda stiff but it gets comfy after a few uses

you can fill it to the brim with everything (lab coat, binder if you can cram it in)... and it won't break

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 10:17:05 pm »
+5
Re: backpacks

I've got a couple - all hershel's in different styles/colours which I rotate/get too lazy to switch it up they generally have heaps of space to fit books/laptops or anything else you need when you are going to uni along with a lot of compartment to seperate stuff i.e. laptop case, sunglasses compartment etc it's generally quite popular amongst uni students. Only upside for handbags imo would be style thought definitely dependent on  someone's want's out of what you take to uni.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 10:27:21 pm »
+6
Also re: backpacks

I only really have two- a small black one from strandbags that is big enough to stash food and a couple of reading books to carry around for a day trip; and a Carribee one that I got from Aussie Disposals that can carry a laptop and more that I use for uni :)
I'd stay away from Kmart and Officeworks bags- I've had plenty of those break on me 😅😂

On the clothes front, I bought a really nice looking yellow sundress from Temt the other day 😊
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 12:00:21 pm »
Recently bought this dress off ASOS! It was more than 50% off and it was available in my size, so I had to get it! I'm so in love with the balloon sleeves and the pale pink colour.

I've been looking to buy some coats or sweaters in preparation for winter. Does anyone know good places to get them for a reasonable or decent price?
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 12:29:25 pm »
Recently bought this dress off ASOS! It was more than 50% off and it was available in my size, so I had to get it! I'm so in love with the balloon sleeves and the pale pink colour.

I've been looking to buy some coats or sweaters in preparation for winter. Does anyone know good places to get them for a reasonable or decent price?
Very nice! :)

Coats/sweater-wise, I'd recommend ASOS but you've probably already looked there. Take a look at US/UK based websites, like Urban Outfitters, Topshop, etc., since they're coming out of winter, they should be having discounts/sales now.

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 11:31:43 pm »
Very nice! :)

Coats/sweater-wise, I'd recommend ASOS but you've probably already looked there. Take a look at US/UK based websites, like Urban Outfitters, Topshop, etc., since they're coming out of winter, they should be having discounts/sales now.

Thank you!

Yeah, I've checked out ASOS's coats section but nothing's caught my eye so far and the coats that do are just too expensive haha. I'll definitely check out Urban Outfitters and Topshop! Also maybe Nasty Gal as well :)
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 11:40:21 pm »
+3
Zara and Forever New usually have nice ones with fur hoods etc, I think they'll start coming in next month because I haven't seen any coats in store this year

deepshika1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 08:21:10 pm »
Hey y'all!
I need some suggestions tbh
I am planning to buy 2 women's watches from the site
1 will be mine and the other I will give it to my mom.
I could use your opinion on which watch is in trend or is looking good and all other things.
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:09:36 pm by deepshika1 »

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 04:47:10 pm »
Hi...
A little off topic, but for those of you who have finished school, what time of year did you go formal shopping (and when was your formal)?

My formal is in mid November, so I was planning on going shopping before my last HSC exam in early november- there is a big gap between my last two exams. However, my sister thinks that most places will be sold out by then, and it will be hard to get something decent for a reasonable price...

What are your thoughts?
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 05:01:42 pm »
+2
Hi...
A little off topic, but for those of you who have finished school, what time of year did you go formal shopping (and when was your formal)?

My formal is in mid November, so I was planning on going shopping before my last HSC exam in early november- there is a big gap between my last two exams. However, my sister thinks that most places will be sold out by then, and it will be hard to get something decent for a reasonable price...

What are your thoughts?

If you're planning to get something specifically for your formal, starting to look sooner rather than later makes sense to me - you don't want it stressing you out closer to exams! ;D

#JosephFashionAdvice101

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 05:05:18 pm »
+1
Hi...

What are your thoughts?
My year 12 val was in October, before exams- I started looking around about August, but never bought anything until late September, from memory.

But as J41 said, best to start looking sooner rather than later to avoid the stress! ;D
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 05:25:46 pm »
+2
My year 12 val was in October, before exams- I started looking around about August, but never bought anything until late September, from memory.

But as J41 said, best to start looking sooner rather than later to avoid the stress! ;D

Yeah, I think it's a good idea to go looking earlier than, maybe july holidays, or after trials/before stu vac - will definitely will need a break then haha. Thanks guys  ;D
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 08:36:53 pm »
+1
Hi...

What are your thoughts?

So my formal was in the third week of September, a few days before graduation. I started looking at dresses in January and found the perfect dress in March! I timed it well with the 30% sale and the free delivery ahahah (this was Forever New btw). It was so good to get my dress so early because I didn't have to stress about it for the rest of the year. Plus the earlier you get it- less chances of getting the same dress as someone else. My year group had an instagram page with all the dresses to avoid double ups!

It really depends where you get your dress from though. Cheap places (well imo anyways- I knew girls in my year who spent $600-$1,500 on their dress) such as Forever New and Miss Guided always have decent dresses on sale throughout the year. Good luck with finding your formal dress :)

PS: Please book all your appointments right now! It's ridiculous how all the makeup places get booked up by June.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.