Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:44:21 am

Author Topic: Journalism Journey Journal  (Read 10334 times)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Journalism Journey Journal
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:43:08 pm »
+19
Hey guys! Hopefully you have recovered from trying to say the title to my journal – if anyone can send me audio proof of them saying it ten times straight I will mark a million of their essays. Anyway, this year I am studying a Bachelor of Communications (Journalism)/International Studies at University of Technology Sydney! The course is five years and six if I decide to do a one-year post-grad in Sports Journalism.

Why Journalism?
As a dedicated humanities student in the HSC, writing is pretty much all I know. But my interest in journalism came from a far more enjoyable source. I have grown up supporting Rugby League for pretty much all of my life and have envied the reporters for Fox Sports who have the dream job of travelling to and reporting at games across the nation. I honestly could not imagine any better way to earn money. Regrettably, Sports Journalism in itself is a very niche area to gain a full time career in and, if I am being completely honest, my obsession with the NRL means that I am pretty much only truly passionate about writing and reporting on it in particular. Most sports journalists are past players and experts who have in-depth knowledge of the game and their names themselves are often even more important than their writing ability as their sporting identity attracts viewers. It makes sense, but I did not want to completely give up. So I began to do what any good journalist does – write! I currently write pieces for TheRoar.com.au and LeagueUnlimited.com. I compose under the pseudonym of Mr. X for The Roar. You can check out all my articles here: http://www.theroar.com.au/author/penrith-punter/ and there should be one more added tomorrow morning so stay tuned! I also volunteer as a writer and live blogger of matches for League Unlimited (my articles can be found here http://leagueunlimited.com/author/show/andrew-jackson)

Work experience is the most important aspect of success in the journalism industry in my opinion and both these opportunities have afforded me with fantastic chances to work under tight deadlines at composing articles varying from match previews and reports to opinion pieces (which includes also dealing with some very opinionated users on the websites!) Last year, I was also lucky enough to do one week work experience at Big League, the NRL’s official magazine! This was honestly one of the best weeks of my life. I walked in and literally one of the writers was on the phone just having a casual conversation with a first-grade player. It was insane! I learned all the details and planning that goes into publishing a magazine and was even published in that week’s edition (Mum proceeded to go out and pretty much buy all available copies!)
Despite the level of enjoyment I receive from my Rugby League writing, I have recently realised the need to broaden my work opportunities, hence the choice to study Journalism rather than specifically Sports Journalism.

Why International Studies?
Firstly, this is also a chance to broaden my employment potential as it is always a bonus to have another language and understanding of another culture up your sleeve. However, it is primarily motivated by my desire to continue my passion for French that I formulated at school. I actually intended to study Italian in Year 7 but the class was full, so I was (luckily) stuck with French – the best disappointment of my schooling life! My teacher was incredible – she was so passionate and also enjoyed a fair share of friendly banter (some of which is a bit too inappropriate to post on here!) But I honestly just enjoyed learning another language. Maybe it was because I was going back to the basics like simply knowing the difference between past and present tense. Nevertheless, I knew I simply did not want to lose my French after studying it for six years. Plus, in the fourth year of my degree I get to go on exchange and I seriously can’t wait to visit the French-speaking section of Switzerland. Plus, the Alps aren’t too shabby either.
So hopefully now you have a better insight into my future studies and aspirations! I plan to post all my online articles on this journal as well as any internships that come up. I have applied for one at Sydney University AFL Club, the Western Weekender and the Parramatta Eels recently so fingers crossed I can update you guys soon on that! In the mean time, I am heading to the office of The Roar in March to start an internship with them and am definitely keen to gain as much experience as possible! Until next time, get keen for my article that will posted on The Roar tomorrow! Even if you aren’t a league fan, give it a read and maybe you will learn something new!  8)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:33:05 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: Journalism Journey Journal
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:51:29 pm »
+6
Keen to read your journal dancing phalanges!!  :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:53:01 pm »
+8
journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal.  (i did it! do i get free essay marking now? ;) )

on a serious note, your course sounds really exciting and can't wait to read your future updates!! How did you start writing for the two sites? Do you already have connections in the journalism industry?
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 10:55:15 pm »
+6
Keen to read your journal dancing phalanges!!  :D

Likewise! Really love how all of us here on ATAR Notes seem to be doing courses we are really passionate about! :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 10:57:46 pm »
+4
journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal. journalism journey journal.  (i did it! do i get free essay marking now? ;) )

on a serious note, your course sounds really exciting and can't wait to read your future updates!! How did you start writing for the two sites? Do you already have connections in the journalism industry?

Well pretty much anyone can write for The Roar! But it is up to you to grow a following and gain respect (sorta like here on AN) and so I'm a Guru now which is the highest ranking you can get unless you are an expert (actual sporting personalities who are deliberately hired by the site). As for League Unlimited they just advertised they were looking for writers and I jumped at it! :) I guess I have connections with the guys at Big League now! Also forgot to mention that my mum knows the wife of the head of sports at Fox Sports so I'll definitely use that when I start my degree ;)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 11:30:19 pm »
+3
super keen to read your updates, dancing phalanges! will be interesting to compare courses, as i'm studying something similar to you. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 11:33:39 pm »
super keen to read your updates, dancing phalanges! will be interesting to compare courses, as i'm studying something similar to you. :-)

What country are you looking at studying? :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 01:34:48 pm »
+3
My most recent article has just been published! Check it out here: http://www.theroar.com.au/2018/02/13/defence-gus-goulds-musical-chairs-approach-penrith/#comment-6156596  8)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 01:58:12 pm »
+1
What country are you looking at studying? :)

i don't do an in-depth study of a country - i am studying german though. :-)

My most recent article has just been published! Check it out here: http://www.theroar.com.au/2018/02/13/defence-gus-goulds-musical-chairs-approach-penrith/#comment-6156596  8)

so cooooooool!!!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 08:52:24 pm »
i don't do an in-depth study of a country - i am studying german though. :-)

so cooooooool!!!

oh really? is that from doing germany in modern and not wanting to let it go haha! I'm thinking i'll do switzerland atm over france but im not 100% sure

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 10:35:52 pm »
oh really? is that from doing germany in modern and not wanting to let it go haha! I'm thinking i'll do switzerland atm over france but im not 100% sure

yea, no in-depth country study, which was kind of a deal breaker for me when comparing International Studies at UTS and UNSW! and no, not really, it's more from my musical background. :-)

Switzerland sounds awesome! it's okay that you're not 100% sure though, there's a ton of time for you to decide. what interests you about Switzerland, and where else would you consider going?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:10 pm »
+3
I'm not educated in the sporting world but the fact that you've written over 200 articles for League Unlimited is pretty damn impressive! It's admirable how passionate everyone is in what they're doing :)

Can't wait to read your journal! Journalism sounds fascinating (based on my limited knowledge on media studies lol). And partnering up with International Studies sounds like a great idea! My sister blogs in three different languages (English, Indonesian, French) so she could reach out to a wider audience. Sounds like a new writing challenge for you?

Although, I have to ask: what made you choose UTS?
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 11:16:27 pm »
+4
I'm not educated in the sporting world but the fact that you've written over 200 articles for League Unlimited is pretty damn impressive! It's admirable how passionate everyone is in what they're doing :)

Can't wait to read your journal! Journalism sounds fascinating (based on my limited knowledge on media studies lol). And partnering up with International Studies sounds like a great idea! My sister blogs in three different languages (English, Indonesian, French) so she could reach out to a wider audience. Sounds like a new writing challenge for you?

Although, I have to ask: what made you choose UTS?

Thanks Olivia :) your sister must be very employable ahah ;)
I was originally leaning towards university of Canberra because their sports media course looked heaps interesting but I realised it was too specific a degree and I'd be better to have a degree in journalism and post grad in sports media to broaden my chances of getting a job. Same for the international studies thing I could do translating if I wanted to or could even do work on French rugby in France! Uts is known as the best course for journalism so that's why I picked it :)

yea, no in-depth country study, which was kind of a deal breaker for me when comparing International Studies at UTS and UNSW! and no, not really, it's more from my musical background. :-)

Switzerland sounds awesome! it's okay that you're not 100% sure though, there's a ton of time for you to decide. what interests you about Switzerland, and where else would you consider going?

Switzerland just seems like such a quaint place and the alps and snow looks mesmerising. I reckon it's culture would be pretty cool and it's less touristy than France. It's pretty much between Switzerland and France. If I went to Switzerland I'd probably go to Geneva for uni since it's French speaking and I could maybe look into possible work at the UN idk even though I hate politics ahah I'd definitely be interested in learning about how they are trying to achieve peace :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 12:06:35 pm »
+3
If you understand rugby league you'll enjoy this one, otherwise you can just have a laugh at my terrible attempt at writing satire ;)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 12:07:19 pm »
+2
If you understand rugby league you'll enjoy this one, otherwise you can just have a laugh at my terrible attempt at writing satire ;)

"Mr X" is so mysterious. ;)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.