Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:14:01 pm

Author Topic: Journalism Journey Journal  (Read 10390 times)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: Journalism Journey Journal
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 12:15:08 pm »
+2
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 07:21:24 pm »
+2
If you understand rugby league you'll enjoy this one, otherwise you can just have a laugh at my terrible attempt at writing satire ;)
Laughing? More like confused for me no matter how many times I read the article and try to understand what in the world is going on xD

However, I am more interested in the process of how you write these articles. Where did you get these quotes from? Did you actually interview these people or were they quotes from existing sources? And how in the world do you have the time to write so many articles, especially during your HSC year? Teach me your ways senpai xD
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 06:34:51 pm »
+19
I don't know where exactly to post this but thought that given the circumstances it's best to reflect here. Tragically, one of my mates from school passed away last night in a freak accident - something that happens now and then but something you definitely don't expect to happen to someone you know well. He was the most laid back guy that I knew and I doubt anyone would have a bad thing to say about him - it always seems like it's the best people that are taken away so soon. While I get to go to university in two weeks and look towards an exciting future, he tragically had all this taken away from him, only just after completing the stress of the HSC. If anything, it was a timely reminder to me to really appreciate the opportunity I have to forge my own career and pathway outside of school and to really make the most of it.
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 06:55:05 pm »
+9
Really sorry to hear that, dancing phalanges. I hope you and those around you are okay.

Sending love.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 07:21:02 pm »
+7
i'm sorry to hear that; all the love. x
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 10:53:08 pm »
+9
Thanks for the support guys! Really hope his family and really close friends receive the s supportive vibes.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 11:00:32 pm »
+5
Laughing? More like confused for me no matter how many times I read the article and try to understand what in the world is going on xD

However, I am more interested in the process of how you write these articles. Where did you get these quotes from? Did you actually interview these people or were they quotes from existing sources? And how in the world do you have the time to write so many articles, especially during your HSC year? Teach me your ways senpai xD

The quotes I just took from a Fox Sports article on the topic haha. NRL is my passion so writing was really enjoyable and a nice down time for me, and I watch almost every game anyway so blogging them online made sense :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 10:59:51 pm »
+13
nothing really interesting happened today! although last week at our intro thing our lecturer taught us an important lesson in who to not swear at on social media (hint she got into a heated political debate, told a very important political journalist to do something and basically now if you look her up on google the 4th result is an article written by that reporter solely on how she is a terrible teacher to journalism students ahaha i feel so bad for her)

had first actual lesson today - self and society - pretty interesting by the sound of things but our ice breakers activity (related to sociology) was the best! we each wrote down one interesting fact about ourselves and she put them all up on the board and we took into turns to pick one up and guess who it was in the room who wrote it. it was pretty much just a game of stereotyping which was obviously a good first lesson on social stereotypes (as we look at class, race and gender in our studies) but it was seriously hilarious!

crazy though - we have to do an interview for one of our assessments that has to last 1-2 hours - didn't know that existed haha. and also one of our assessments is an online quiz which includes getting a random essay question and typing up the response from home! idk how the hell that will work never heard of it before!

anyway that was today  8)

edit: how could i forget the highlight of the day: running into elyse in the communications building and i mean i feel even more honoured because she recognised me
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:04:49 pm by dancing phalanges »

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 11:15:17 pm »
+1
Super keen to hear your experience a UTS seeing as though I was so close to going there!
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 04:12:49 pm »
+1

edit: how could i forget the highlight of the day: running into elyse in the communications building and i mean i feel even more honoured because she recognised me

Of course!!! Sad I didn't run into you today as well!

I can't wait for your first local news story :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 04:42:40 pm »
+4
crazy though - we have to do an interview for one of our assessments that has to last 1-2 hours - didn't know that existed haha. and also one of our assessments is an online quiz which includes getting a random essay question and typing up the response from home! idk how the hell that will work never heard of it before!
Damn, 1-2 hours?! Wait, you interview someone or someone will interview you for your assessment? Either way, 1-2 hours is pretty long- my interviews with experts barely last 15 minutes xD

Just seeing Elyse at the lectures was already startling. Being recognised is a whole new level lol

Can't wait for your next post :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:54:20 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 08:25:58 pm »
+3
Of course!!! Sad I didn't run into you today as well!

I can't wait for your first local news story :)

I was the Bon Marche building again at 1pm! Going to run the idea by my tutor on Wednesday :)

[/quote]
Damn, 1-2 hours?! Wait, you interview someone or someone will interview you for your assessment? Either way, 1-2 hours is pretty long- my interviews with experts barely last 15 minutes xD
Just seeing Elyse at the lectures was already startling. Being recognised is a whole new level lol

Can't wait for your next post :)

I interview them! Yeah I know but if I do my Grandfather, for instance, he'll love the attention haha.

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2018, 10:13:58 pm »
+5
Tomorrow is the deadline for my first story in my university course (only a draft though - phew)! This experience has definitely been a valuable wake-up call in terms of the need to have little dignity in journalism as to not really care if people shoot you down for quotes.

As for articles - I have published three recently!

I have begun interning for SUANFC (Sydney University Australian National Football Club) who play reserve grade against the Swans, GWS etc. with some players given the chance to be drafted into the AFL at the end of the year!

My first article was fairly straight-forward, just me doing what I was told to do. Can't wait to get more involved after already speaking with some of the players. Great to work with such young, down to earth people.

https://suanfc.com/suanfc-neafl-premier-division-leadership-groups-announced/

I have kept up my live blogging and report writing for NRL matches this year so nothing new there but I have recently published two opinion pieces, one on Cricket because I could not help but give my perspective on the ball-tampering scandal! The other is in my comfort zone of league but nonetheless on a debatable issue in the game at the moment. Enjoy :)

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/03/31/referees-arent-ruining-game-stubborn-players/

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/03/31/must-support-steve-smith-not-crucify-dont-remember-ryan-tandy/

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 10:16:43 am »
+1
Hello!

Super duper keen on an update?

I was in journo hell for the last week and I thought of you lots! I hope semester one is going swimmingly?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 07:52:29 pm »
+4
Hello!

Super duper keen on an update?

I was in journo hell for the last week and I thought of you lots! I hope semester one is going swimmingly?

Ah so sorry Elyse - I didn't even see this because I have been so busy! Why was it journo hell!?! You must tell! Anyway:

Did my first university test last week for Self and Society and it was all online including the essay writing! Very weird but I was able to just look up answers to a lot of stuff haha. Probably why I finished with 4 seconds on the clock and was freaking out as I submitted it.

I also have completed my first assessment for Stories from the Street! We basically had to find a story in our local area. My first story didn't work out so I had to ditch it but I love working under pressure as it brings the best out of me and I was really pleased with the story I finished with!

Yesterday was a MASSIVE day. I have been prepping for Assessment 2 of Stories from the Street. One part requires us to find a live event in Sydney like a press conference or expert talk and find a news story in it and get two sources. I was initially going to a 2 hour presentation given by Nick McKim on the situation at Manus Island until the best thing happened. Our lecturer advertised a media opportunity in Penrith for NRL. Penrith + NRL = Penrith Panthers - surely. I was a tad late to reply (only 2 could go and 3 had already put their hand up) but I straight away commented on the post and mentioned the fact that the night before I had been out and went to bed at 3.30, woke up at 6 to go to work and then went straight from work to the Panthers game at Cronulla. So based off my dedication I was chosen to go cover it. It was a dream and I seriously had to remain professional because having all the players so close to me was surreal. The opportunity was four players who were answering questions from journos for 5 mins or so each. There were three other journos (Channel 9, Fox Sports and NRL.com) there who were really nice but I think they expected I was just there to watch and so when it came to questions they blitz asked questions and didn't even think of giving me a chance to say anything despite the fact I had so much to ask as a fan I know the intimate details of the club like the back of my hand. Long story short I needed a story out of this and the journos were asking boring cliche questions and so I was like fuck it and just jumped in before one of the journos could ask yet another question.

You can hear my shaky af voice from 3 minutes: https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/04/23/mixed-media-trent-merrin/

The journos there said it was a really good question and in fact both NRL.com and Fox Sports used my question and the response from it as the basis of their stories from the presser!

Afterwards I still needed one more quote for my story so I asked the media manager and was able to land a solid 1 minute interview with James Tamou. The other girl I was with from UTS knew nothing about the NRL but she was really smart because technically the rules of our assessment stated we needed a photo with one of our sources as proof so she took a photo but really as a fan I just wanted the photo with him haha.

Anyway after that I had to navigate my way through Penrith to ask questions to shop owners and locals about a small park being upgraded which is 4 months behind schedule and economically destroying the small businesses that are on the road where the construction is taking place. I have pretty much finished that story so I am way ahead on this assessment which is really nice.

Also an update with the live blogging I do - the editor was really impressed with my work so he is now offering to pay me $20 for each blog I do!

However, I am still going to blog and write for the other website as I always said to my mum that despite it being voluntary, the main guy there is really nice and understanding and also the website has 20k twitter followers and always gives me shout outs. Behold, after receiving a shout out last week, Yvonne Sampson, the main female NRL presenter at Fox Sports follows me and I was not even following her (she has 21k followers and follows just 1k) so I felt pretty special!

Anyway that is all for now! A hectic week but it's not over! Thankfully I have this week off uni!