Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 04:06:57 am

Author Topic: Foods For Immune System:  (Read 5520 times)  Share 

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Foods For Immune System:
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 10:06:09 pm »
+7
Also, the "scientific" article you referenced is from a chiropractic journal lol.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 10:23:39 pm »
^ Not here to start an argument, but that study that you linked is from almost 20 years ago. Do you have any more recent peer reviewed literature to support your statement?

No not with me right now but that study barring its age looks pretty cast iron to me
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 10:28:52 pm »
No not with me right now but that study barring its age looks pretty cast iron to me
Can I respectfully say that this user is ever so slightly annoying me?

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 10:30:01 pm »
From your source

'Nevertheless, given the consistent effect of vitamin C on the duration and severity of colds in the regular supplementation studies, and the low cost and safety, it may be worthwhile for common cold patients to test on an individual basis whether therapeutic vitamin C is beneficial for them. Further therapeutic RCTs are warranted.'

Good enough for me, all of you are too busy trying to debate with me than actually answerinf  the OPs question. Please provide something more effective than vitamin c or don't say anything at all lol. Water isn't better than vitamin c that's for sure.

Now because  on here is very misinformed about pulp and it's nuriotinal values I'm happy to link them to an article which should clear up confusion

http://thewaterygourmet.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/is-orange-juice-with-pulp-better-for.html?m=1

Well that should just about cover everything :) good luck OP and all users reading this these and I hope you remain healthy and cold free. I'm going to go for a nice refreshing glass of OJ myself and hopefully ward of another cold for another year while simultaneously quenching my thirst.

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 10:35:05 pm »
+6
From your source

'Nevertheless, given the consistent effect of vitamin C on the duration and severity of colds in the regular supplementation studies, and the low cost and safety, it may be worthwhile for common cold patients to test on an individual basis whether therapeutic vitamin C is beneficial for them. Further therapeutic RCTs are warranted.'

Good enough for me, all of you are too busy trying to debate with me than actually answerinf  the OPs question. Please provide something more effective than vitamin c or don't say anything at all lol. Water isn't better than vitamin c that's for sure.

Now because  on here is very misinformed about pulp and it's nuriotinal values I'm happy to link them to an article which should clear up confusion

http://thewaterygourmet.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/is-orange-juice-with-pulp-better-for.html?m=1

Well that should just about cover everything :) good luck OP and all users reading this these and I hope you remain healthy and cold free. I'm going to go for a nice refreshing glass of OJ myself and hopefully ward of another cold for another year while simultaneously quenching my thirst.

Yeah, but you spoke about therapeutic vitamin C, which that source said this about:  Regular supplementation trials have shown that vitamin C reduces the duration of colds, but this was not replicated in the few therapeutic trials that have been carried out.

I've already said that regular supplementation reduces the duration of colds, soooo?

But this is good, in one corner you've got a group of reasonable people with the biggest meta-analysis of its kind behind them, in the other you've got an incorrigible upstart with a chiropractic journal from 1999 and a fucking blog to make their case.

Not even going to bother with the pulp argument. You're just determined to argue whatever it is. Honestly at this point I could say the earth is round and you'd find a way to say it's flat.

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 10:35:12 pm »
+4
From your source

I respectfully disagree =)

If you know a thing or two about research... a BLOG or anything with blogspot is basically at the  bottom of the ladder in terms of information quality and integrity.

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 10:39:52 pm »
Lol everyone acting like I've got some complex and can't accept that I'm wrong.

Go on my post history one of the most recent previous posts a  mor corrected me on a scheduling error I made and I laughed at my own mistake and said it was a good pickup.

I don't usually go about  debating  the merits of vitamin c in usally helping out with legal questions or other like matters,  but alas here we are.

The first thing people should links about me is that my favourite quote is  'The only thing Iknow is that I know nothing'

All I'm saying is if my hypothesis is wrong all OP gets is some proven scientific nutrition from vitamin c which people are known to be lacking in this day and age because the body doesn't make it naturally.

If I'm right even better they get the added benfit of cold and virus protection and/or treatment.

It's a 0 risk option if I was a doctor I would have 0 problem recommending vitamin c to patients who would  ask me this question.

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 10:43:54 pm »
Says a lot about people when they see the blog in the link and don't even click on it. Maybe it has I don't know references? Feel free to criticise it after you've read it but don't tell me it's crap when you haven't even looked at it.

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 10:45:07 pm »
+5
Lol everyone acting like I've got some complex and can't accept that I'm wrong.
Then why do you have a respect of -3 to a post ratio of 163?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 10:48:14 pm »
+5
Says a lot about people when they see the blog in the link and don't even click on it. Maybe it has I don't know references? Feel free to criticise it after you've read it but don't tell me it's crap when you haven't even looked at it.

lol righto will read my chiropractic journals instead soz

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 10:53:29 pm »
+11
lol righto will read my chiropractic journals instead soz

(Image removed from quote.)
Hey mate, excellent post. Think you have an old version of the pyramid, however.

2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 11:05:10 pm »
Click here to hide this post again.
February 19, 2018, 11:05:10 pm - Hidden.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 11:07:49 pm »
+7
Okay guys, topic has been locked as I see nothing productive coming out of continuing it.