Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 09:52:35 am

Author Topic: Need help with some questions  (Read 1385 times)  Share 

a212345

Need help with some questions
« on: March 08, 2018, 10:26:33 pm »
Hi everyone,
Im just after a bit of help with these few questions  :)

1. Explain by which an enzyme operates?

2. Explain the importance of the 3D shape of an enzyme, including why enzymes are specific to each reaction

Thankyou

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Need help with some questions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:46:03 pm »
+1
Hey,
I could just give you the answer to these but it won't help you learn.
Instead i'll give you a few pointers, you attempt them and i'll tell you whether you are right.

1. What does an enzyme do? What is its role in the body and how does it do that?

2. How does its shape allow it to work? Why do enzymes need to be a specific shape?

The answers to this should be easy to find in your textbook.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

a212345

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 11:14:13 pm »
Hey,
I could just give you the answer to these but it won't help you learn.
Instead i'll give you a few pointers, you attempt them and i'll tell you whether you are right.

1. What does an enzyme do? What is its role in the body and how does it do that?

2. How does its shape allow it to work? Why do enzymes need to be a specific shape?

Thankyou so much i think it really helped rewording the questions heres my answers.

1. Enzymes are biological catalysts.
Catalysts lower the activation energy for reactions. The lower the activation energy for a reaction, the faster the rate. therefor enzymes speed up the reaction.

( we just did an experiment last week using liver and hydrogen peroxide to measure the height of oxygen bubbles produced)

2. A enzyme requires a 3D structure in order to match that of the molecule it chemically changes, and without the 3D structure, the substrate cannot bind to the molecule and the chances of a reaction occurring are dramatically reduced.   

The answers to this should be easy to find in your textbook.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 11:43:03 pm »
1. Looks good!

2. You have the main points here but it is a good idea to use the correct biological terminology when answering questions.
You said: A enzyme requires a 3D structure in order to match (be complimentary to) that of the molecule it chemically changes (substrate), and without the 3D structure, the substrate cannot bind to the molecule and the chances of a reaction occurring are dramatically reduced.

I would say: An enzyme requires a specific 3D shape in order for its active site to be complimentary to its substrate. Without this specific shape, the substrate would be unable to bind to the active site of the enzyme and so the enzyme would be unable to catalyse a chemical change in the substrate. Because the active site is so highly specific, it is only able to bind to one type of substrate and so it can only catalyse a specific reaction.

They both have the same information, but mine uses the correct biological terms. Don't worry if you don't remember them all yet, you will learn them as the year goes on. Hint: Everything in biology is 'specific'.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

a212345

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 11:49:03 pm »
1. Looks good!

2. You have the main points here but it is a good idea to use the correct biological terminology when answering questions.
You said: A enzyme requires a 3D structure in order to match (be complimentary to) that of the molecule it chemically changes (substrate), and without the 3D structure, the substrate cannot bind to the molecule and the chances of a reaction occurring are dramatically reduced.

I would say: An enzyme requires a specific 3D shape in order for its active site to be complimentary to its substrate. Without this specific shape, the substrate would be unable to bind to the active site of the enzyme and so the enzyme would be unable to catalyse a chemical change in the substrate. Because the active site is so highly specific, it is only able to bind to one type of substrate and so it can only catalyse a specific reaction.

They both have the same information, but mine uses the correct biological terms. Don't worry if you don't remember them all yet, you will learn them as the year goes on. Hint: Everything in biology is 'specific'.
Thankyou so much it really helped  :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 11:52:28 pm »
to get better with your terminology the best way I found was to do commercial practice exam questions whilst I was learning/after I earnt a topic and I was studying for the SAC. Make sure to critique your answer so that it contins every keyword in the answers provided since biology is a subject such that you can have all the correct ideas but leaving out a specific word will lose you the mark.

a212345

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 11:57:56 pm »
1. Looks good!

I need help with one more question if thats ok  :)

Argininosuccinate - arginine + fumarate ( Catalyzed by argininosuccinase) -
Arginine + H20 - ornithine + urea ( Catalyzed by arginase)

1. Identify the two enzymes another substrates shown in this part of the urea cycle

I would say argininisuccinase substrate: argininosuccinate
And
Arginase substrate: Arginine

but i have absolutely no idea

a212345

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 11:59:18 pm »
to get better with your terminology the best way I found was to do commercial practice exam questions whilst I was learning/after I earnt a topic and I was studying for the SAC. Make sure to critique your answer so that it contins every keyword in the answers provided since biology is a subject such that you can have all the correct ideas but leaving out a specific word will lose you the mark.

Thankyou so much for your help  :)

I just posted another question below my last reply, you also may be able to help  :)   

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 12:06:35 am »
+1

I need help with one more question if thats ok  :)

Argininosuccinate - arginine + fumarate ( Catalyzed by argininosuccinase) -
Arginine + H20 - ornithine + urea ( Catalyzed by arginase)

1. Identify the two enzymes another substrates shown in this part of the urea cycle

I would say argininisuccinase substrate: argininosuccinate
And
Arginase substrate: Arginine

but i have absolutely no idea

yes absolutely correct

The enzyme is what "catalyses" the reaction. This increases the rate of reaction by lowering the acivation energy. The reaction would still occur without the enzyme although too slowly to sustain life.
The substrate is the substance in which the enzyme acts on.

Also a neat trick is that usually for a substrate "X" the enzyme will be "X-ase" with just an "ase" on the end with maybe 1 letter dropped of the end. This isn't always the case but it is pretty common

a212345

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 12:08:17 am »
yes absolutely correct

The enzyme is what "catalyses" the reaction. This increases the rate of reaction by lowering the acivation energy. The reaction would still occur without the enzyme although too slowly to sustain life.
The substrate is the substance in which the enzyme acts on.

Also a neat trick is that usually for a substrate "X" the enzyme will be "X-ase" with just an "ase" on the end with maybe 1 letter dropped of the end. This isn't always the case but it is pretty common

Thankyou so much for your help  :)