Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:54:29 pm

Author Topic: UNSW Co-op Scholarship Program  (Read 38875 times)  Share 

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
UNSW Co-op Scholarship Program
« on: March 21, 2018, 09:16:43 pm »
Hey guys,
So the UNSW Co-op Scholarship applications are opening soon. There are two application questions I'm not entirely sure about: personal development and significant achievement or project. What exactly are we supposed to include in those areas? And with the character word limit, is that supposed to be an indication of how much you're supposed to write? I'm more concerned about if I've done enough to be able to be qualified for the scholarship.

Also, any other tips on going through this process?

Thanks in advance :)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: UNSW Co-op Scholarship Program
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:43:54 pm »
+4
Hey! As much as the Coop scholarship applications seem like a really big event, don't stress about them too much. The fact you are already working on the application puts you ahead of a lot of people who apply - Hell, I didn't do my application until August/September ;)

Personal Development: Talk about an experience (or multiple) you have had, or things you've chosen to do, that have developed qualities in you. Focus on transferrable skills that would be valued by employers, such as communication skills. Writing for ATAR Notes would qualify here, for example ;D

Project: Something that you've worked on for a significant or prolonged period of time. Your Instagram account might even work here, since you've developed a fair bit of an audience there!

The questions are open for interpretation - Remember, you are trying to show sponsors you are employable. So, show them employable qualities, stuff that would make you an asset in a paid role to do with your application area ;D

Here is a bit of a guide on scholarships in general! Hope this is helpful :)

Oh, and the character limits are a guide, remember it is letters, not words! Write however much you think you need/want to :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:46:53 pm by jamonwindeyer »

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 10:51:49 pm »
Hey! As much as the Coop scholarship applications seem like a really big event, don't stress about them too much. The fact you are already working on the application puts you ahead of a lot of people who apply - Hell, I didn't do my application until August/September ;)

Personal Development: Talk about an experience (or multiple) you have had, or things you've chosen to do, that have developed qualities in you. Focus on transferrable skills that would be valued by employers, such as communication skills. Writing for ATAR Notes would qualify here, for example ;D

Project: Something that you've worked on for a significant or prolonged period of time. Your Instagram account might even work here, since you've developed a fair bit of an audience there!

The questions are open for interpretation - Remember, you are trying to show sponsors you are employable. So, show them employable qualities, stuff that would make you an asset in a paid role to do with your application area ;D

Here is a bit of a guide on scholarships in general! Hope this is helpful :)

Oh, and the character limits are a guide, remember it is letters, not words! Write however much you think you need/want to :)
Hey there,
Thanks for the clarification! A UNSW Co-op Ambassador came to my school today and when I asked him about the project, he said he built a computer from scratch so I panicked a bit there (kinda caused me to blank out on what other questions I needed to ask him lol).

I noticed on the guide you mentioned a job is the best way to demonstrate skills (e.g. leadership, communication etc); I think I remember you mentioning this in your lectures as well. I've been doing more volunteering/work experience; does that put me in a disadvantage since I've never had a job?

Also, can this Co-op scholarship work in conjunction with another UNSW scholarship, e.g. Women in Engineering?
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:57:07 pm »
+1
Hey there,
Thanks for the clarification! A UNSW Co-op Ambassador came to my school today and when i asked him about the project, he said he built a computer from scratch so I panicked a bit there (kinda caused me to blank out on what other questions I needed to ask him lol).

Hella cool! That's definitely an impressive example - Mine was my Music major works (and the extended composition around it that I had put together into like an album sort of thing). It doesn't have to be mind boggling stuff!

I noticed on the guide you mentioned a job is the best way to demonstrate skills (e.g. leadership, communication etc); I think I remember you mentioning this in your lectures as well. I've been doing more volunteering/work experience; does that put me in a disadvantage since I've never had a job?

Work experience will show most if not all the same things to them as an actual paid position - Time management, communication skills, loyalty, etc. Basically, as long as your experiences show them, "Hey, you should hire me," then you are sweet. Work experience works in your favour there. It's just hard for someone who has zero workplace experience to convince a sponsor that they'll be their dream employee once they graduate. You've got that experience, so that works for you. A job is just the easiest way because you earn mad dosh along the way ;)

Also, can this Co-op scholarship work in conjunction with another UNSW scholarship, e.g. Women in Engineering?

I know it works with AAA since I received that as well, I'm reasonably sure it can coexist with any scholarship that doesn't impact on your ability to complete industry training! So, ones involving other placements might be a problem, otherwise I'd imagine it would be fine! Definitely doesn't hurt to ask, though :)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 11:11:30 pm »
Work experience will show most if not all the same things to them as an actual paid position - Time management, communication skills, loyalty, etc. Basically, as long as your experiences show them, "Hey, you should hire me," then you are sweet. Work experience works in your favour there. It's just hard for someone who has zero workplace experience to convince a sponsor that they'll be their dream employee once they graduate. You've got that experience, so that works for you. A job is just the easiest way because you earn mad dosh along the way ;)
Hoping my UNSW Work Experience can help me win over those UNSW people/sponsors ;) Also, is 'mad dosh' supposed to mean money? I believe there's a bit of a language barrier there xD (Seriously though, I had to google it lol).

Also, with the achievements/volunteering, are they limited to what we've done in Year 12? I was hoping to include achievements from Year 10 onwards.

(I'll probably apologise in advance for the spamming of questions about this scholarship- there's a high chance I'll think of more questions soon -_-)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 05:43:31 pm »
Hoping my UNSW Work Experience can help me win over those UNSW people/sponsors ;) Also, is 'mad dosh' supposed to mean money? I believe there's a bit of a language barrier there xD (Seriously though, I had to google it lol).

Wow, I am definitely from Western Sydney ;) yes it is!

Also, with the achievements/volunteering, are they limited to what we've done in Year 12? I was hoping to include achievements from Year 10 onwards.

(I'll probably apologise in advance for the spamming of questions about this scholarship- there's a high chance I'll think of more questions soon -_-)

Happy to help with anything any time!! I think more recent the better, but anything in your upper years of high school is good. Means you can show a history of contribution ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 08:41:36 pm »
Wow, I am definitely from Western Sydney ;) yes it is!

Nah I think it's just me not knowing how to be hip with the kids 8) (I'm a grandmother trapped in a body of a teenager xD) I'm from south-west Sydney lol.

But seriously, sorta irrelevant but when I went to my Engineering Camp, more than half of them were from North Sydney and this was how one of our conversations went:
Him: I've never met someone from the south!
Me: i'VE nEvEr MeT sOmEoNe FrOm tHe sOuTh! (*insert Spongebob meme xD)

Anyways, under the co-curricular activities section, it says 1000 character word limit but in the description, it says that we have to select from a list of activities. Which one is it? A response or from a list? I'm much more concerned about my co-curricular activities because I'm not an SRC or anything. Will that put me at a disadvantage? (I feel like at this point the scholarship in general is just freaking me out because my career adviser said it's extremely competitive, and also the fact that I'm not sure if I can achieve that 96 ATAR minimum.)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 11:21:52 pm »
+1
But seriously, sorta irrelevant but when I went to my Engineering Camp, more than half of them were from North Sydney and this was how one of our conversations went:
Him: I've never met someone from the south!
Me: i'VE nEvEr MeT sOmEoNe FrOm tHe sOuTh! (*insert Spongebob meme xD)

Literal gold  ;D :o ::) 8) :o

Anyways, under the co-curricular activities section, it says 1000 character word limit but in the description, it says that we have to select from a list of activities. Which one is it? A response or from a list? I'm much more concerned about my co-curricular activities because I'm not an SRC or anything. Will that put me at a disadvantage? (I feel like at this point the scholarship in general is just freaking me out because my career adviser said it's extremely competitive, and also the fact that I'm not sure if I can achieve that 96 ATAR minimum.)

I have no idea because I am sure the form I filled out isn't identical to yours, but maybe it is a response about something in the list?

The scholarship is competitive, but that shouldn't stress you out!! There aren't as many applicants as you might think for the Engineering versions of the scholarship, a lot of their numbers are on the Business/Commerce end. Still competitive, but I'd say the Engineering one is less competitive.

I mean, say there were two identical owidjaja's, except one in the SRC and one not. Would the one in SRC have an advantage, all other things equal? Of course. But again, you are out to show employable qualities, there is no set way to achieve that goal.

Plus, lots of people are in SRC. Not diminishing its worth, of course, SRC is amazing. But like, it's a relatively common thing for applicants to have. This doesn't mean you'll be at a disadvantage, rather it means they won't actually care about it that much. Show the leadership skills in other ways :)

PS- What appeals to you so much about Coop? You've been so driven for this thing from when I first met you! ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 11:57:25 pm »

PS- What appeals to you so much about Coop? You've been so driven for this thing from when I first met you! ;D
I think the biggest appeal for this scholarship is the industry training. I feel like there's is this misconception that degrees = job, when in reality, finding jobs is harder than you think. That's why I love digging around for work experience during Year 10 onwards- anyone can pay for a degree, but you can't pay your way to a job. Considering the fact that there's a lot of misconception that there are no jobs for engineering, mostly on aerospace, I feel like industry training can almost reassure you that there are actual engineering jobs- the fact that you've done training in a company really enhances your resume rather than someone you's fresh out of university with a degree. At the end of the day, a university is just gonna give you a piece of paper, not a job. It's what you do with the things you've learnt during university is what sets you apart, and that's including things like work experience and industry training that can set you apart.
Apart from all that rambling on degrees, the fact that this program also includes things such as leadership mentoring and networking opportunities, I feel like the skills you take out of these workshops is the most valuable part. Just like I said before, anyone can get a degree, but your social skills in conjunction with what you've learnt is what can enhance your resume.

Yet again, what do I know about jobs and uni? I've never had a job in my life ;D
(Not even sure if any of that made sense- kinda felt like this was the first question to the application question xD)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 08:41:56 pm »
+1
(Not even sure if any of that made sense- kinda felt like this was the first question to the application question xD)

And it's something they'll ask in the interviews ;) I really love your rationale, it comes from such a driven place. Which of course, I knew it would, but loved reading your thoughts ;D

Degree definitely doesn't equal job - I've learned more in the 10 weeks I've been on my current internship than I did in 3 years studying. Coop is invaluable for that :) really excited for you!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 04:22:25 pm »
Hey there,
Just another question on the project section, could Major Works fall under here?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 10:59:48 pm »
+1
Hey there,
Just another question on the project section, could Major Works fall under here?

Totally :) I wager a few people will use that, so I'd supplement with other stuff if you can ;D

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 07:55:46 am »
Hey!

Lately, I have been looking in to apply for the Coop program as well. Do you think it is worth it to apply, because I am expecting for an over 90 ATAR?

Despite Dual Law being my first preference, my second preference is B Commerce but now I am thinking if I should put B Commerce Coop.

Thanks!
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 08:28:13 am »
Hey!

Lately, I have been looking in to apply for the Coop program as well. Do you think it is worth it to apply, because I am expecting for an over 90 ATAR?

Despite Dual Law being my first preference, my second preference is B Commerce but now I am thinking if I should put B Commerce Coop.

Thanks!

Hey! I think you should 100% apply, and then down the track if you decide it's not for you then no worries!! Better to apply and not use it than not reply and regret it :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 07:53:14 pm »
Hey! I think you should 100% apply, and then down the track if you decide it's not for you then no worries!! Better to apply and not use it than not reply and regret it :)

I saw that you said you were a Coop scholar, so I was just wondering how long it took for you to answer the questions and prepare for your application?

Do you recommend thinking about starting now, or is it too early?
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW