Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 01:00:24 am

Author Topic: UNSW Co-op Scholarship Program  (Read 38988 times)  Share 

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: UNSW Co-op Scholarship Program
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 10:25:23 pm »
Bump^

Also, with the first question where it asks about Co-curricular activities from a drop down list, what does it mean when it asks for 'grade'? Is it what year I was in (i.e. year 11 or 12) when I did the co-curricular activity? What if I have been doing the activity for longer than a year? Do I just put down the most recent year I was in and then mention what year I started? Also, when it says two years, is it year 11 and 12 or does it also include year 10? And what if the co-curricular activities I've participated in aren't your 'conventional' co-curricular positions? Also, is there a 'submit' button? I was thinking of completing the first question (since it's a drop-down kind of question) and saving it but I need to make sure that the 'save' button doesn't mean 'submit.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:27:29 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 11:47:33 pm »
+2
Hey there,
So I was looking up the Co-op Evening and unfortunately they clash with my tutoring. Would you say they're worth going?

I didn't go, but I didn't even know about it, ahaha. Take from that what you will ;)

Also, with the first question where it asks about Co-curricular activities from a drop down list, what does it mean when it asks for 'grade'? Is it what year I was in (i.e. year 11 or 12) when I did the co-curricular activity?

I believe so!

What if I have been doing the activity for longer than a year? Do I just put down the most recent year I was in and then mention what year I started?

Sounds like a good idea!

Also, when it says two years, is it year 11 and 12 or does it also include year 10?

I'd say it would include Year 10!

And what if the co-curricular activities I've participated in aren't your 'conventional' co-curricular positions?

Still tell them about it somewhere, where you think it fits ;D

Also, is there a 'submit' button? I was thinking of completing the first question (since it's a drop-down kind of question) and saving it but I need to make sure that the 'save' button doesn't mean 'submit.

Honestly can't recall specifically but I'm pretty sure the save button won't submit it. The submit button probably appears when everything is filled. If it does for some reason make it so you can't edit your application anymore, just email the Coop office and ask them to fix it for you ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2018, 11:59:34 pm »
I didn't go, but I didn't even know about it, ahaha. Take from that what you will ;)

Haha lmao- supposedly there's also a Coop webinar every month but I still can never find the link to the page lol

I think I've become a bit more paranoid with scholarship applications- still slightly salty over ANU's rejection even though it wasn't first on my preference but drafting my responses for UNSW Coop is making me more paranoid than I usually am.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2018, 12:01:27 am »
+2
Haha lmao- supposedly there's also a Coop webinar every month but I still can never find the link to the page lol

I think I've become a bit more paranoid with scholarship applications- still slightly salty over ANU's rejection even though it wasn't first on my preference but drafting my responses for UNSW Coop is making me more paranoid than I usually am.

Don't let it make you paranoid! As I've mentioned, the application itself isn't going to matter much, they aren't hyper analysing your wording. If you as an applicant deserve an interview, you'll get one regardless of how perfect or imperfect the application is ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2018, 08:05:28 am »
I'd say it would include Year 10!

Just realised, but one of the co-curricular activities they listed was junior school leadership e.g. year 7-10. By this, are they only including Year 10 leadership or do they mean throughout junior school?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2018, 01:50:28 pm »
Just realised, but one of the co-curricular activities they listed was junior school leadership e.g. year 7-10. By this, are they only including Year 10 leadership or do they mean throughout junior school?

If they are saying Year 7-10, then include it all! The more recent stuff would be more impressive though, I'd wager ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2018, 04:12:42 pm »
Also, how much of the co-curricular list really matter, in terms of how much does it affect you being shortlisted? At the moment, I have 14 activities listed (although I may need to delete some because some aren't in Year 10) but looking at the long list of co-curricular activities makes me feel like I'm pressured to add everything then feel like I haven't done enough.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:15:18 pm by owidjaja »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2018, 06:00:28 pm »
+1
Also, how much of the co-curricular list really matter, in terms of how much does it affect you being shortlisted? At the moment, I have 14 activities listed (although I may need to delete some because some aren't in Year 10) but looking at the long list of co-curricular activities makes me feel like I'm pressured to add everything then feel like I haven't done enough.

Without having access to my application, that sounds like way more than I had. I think I had a little over half a dozen? That big list is just trying to prompt you! ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2018, 09:01:05 pm »
Hey,
I haven't touched my Co-op application in a while, but considering how aerospace engineering is my first option and mechanical engineering is my second option, would it still be worth applying for Co-op even though it doesn't offer aerospace?

Also, are there any tips in writing scholarship applications? I think this is just broadly speaking when writing up responses for different scholarships. For example, I'm also applying for Women in Engineering at UTS and they didn't set a word limit ("be succinct") and I'm also a bit lost as to 'structuring' my response without babbling.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2018, 09:22:47 pm »
+3
Hey,
I haven't touched my Co-op application in a while, but considering how aerospace engineering is my first option and mechanical engineering is my second option, would it still be worth applying for Co-op even though it doesn't offer aerospace?

Definitely! An aerospace one might, on a slim chance, pop up, or you might end up changing your mind about mech-eng, or... The list goes on. Applying means you are safe either way ;D

Also, are there any tips in writing scholarship applications? I think this is just broadly speaking when writing up responses for different scholarships. For example, I'm also applying for Women in Engineering at UTS and they didn't set a word limit ("be succinct") and I'm also a bit lost as to 'structuring' my response without babbling.

Don't stress much about structure! Just write about whatever they've asked you to write about, answer it the way it sounds in your head.

You could also use the STAR approach when giving examples of things you've done/qualities you possess:

- Situation: Give background
- Task: Explain the task/opportunity/challenge
- Action: What did you do?
- Result: How did it go?

An arbitrary example for, say, leadership/delegation:

I worked at KFC in Year 12 and I was put in charge of the front-of-house; we had a full line of customers, but the fridge was empty and the dining room needed cleaning. I called the team together for 30 seconds to make sure everyone knew their priorities, and delegated people to specific jobs to make sure everything gets done. The customers all got served effectively and I was able to clean the dining room to prevent any potential WHS issues.

This could be too specific, it depends on the length you have - But it's a good principle to keep in mind ;D

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2018, 06:13:58 pm »
Hi guys!

I am also interested in applying for Co-Op at UNSW, particularly for Commerce. I would really want to achieve a placement. Not to sound super dramatic, but if I get this, I would feel like the happiest person alive. I already know what major I want to go into, and that is Marketing.

I have participated in a lot of extra curricular activities, but the main thing that worries me is meeting the ATAR cut off. I am currently in Year 12, and so far, my marks and my progress aren't looking too good. I am still trying to improve my performance in time for Trials and HSC, but at this current moment, my ranks are not too good. I know it is a stupid thing to ask but should I still give it my best shot? It would disappoint me so much if the only reason I didn't get the Co-Op is because my ATAR wasn't high enough.

Any advice on how I should perceive this? My ATAR is seriously worrying and stressing me. It is motivating me to do work, but is also making me unhappy. What are the steps I need to take in order to overcome this?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2018, 11:26:18 pm »
+2
Hi guys!

I am also interested in applying for Co-Op at UNSW, particularly for Commerce. I would really want to achieve a placement. Not to sound super dramatic, but if I get this, I would feel like the happiest person alive. I already know what major I want to go into, and that is Marketing.

I have participated in a lot of extra curricular activities, but the main thing that worries me is meeting the ATAR cut off. I am currently in Year 12, and so far, my marks and my progress aren't looking too good. I am still trying to improve my performance in time for Trials and HSC, but at this current moment, my ranks are not too good. I know it is a stupid thing to ask but should I still give it my best shot? It would disappoint me so much if the only reason I didn't get the Co-Op is because my ATAR wasn't high enough.

Any advice on how I should perceive this? My ATAR is seriously worrying and stressing me. It is motivating me to do work, but is also making me unhappy. What are the steps I need to take in order to overcome this?

Hey!

First bit of advice is probably strange - Don't attach too much importance to Coop! Yes, cool opportunity, yes, amazing if you get it. But there's nothing Coop gives you that you can't get elsewhere. Industry training is out there if you hunt for it, money is also out there (and by the time you do your industry training, it actually makes more sense not to do Coop if you are purely counting dollars). Essentially, it's an awesome opportunity, but many more opportunities will come knocking even if this one skips over your door. There are plenty of opportunities I've needed to pass on because of my commitment to Coop. Don't treat it as more than it is ;D

That said, Coop is a good scholarship because they don't care so much about your ATAR once you are at the cut-off (I think I've even heard of people getting in below the cut-off?). Yes, definitely still do the application and give 100% in trying to get the scholarship, if it is what you want.

You need to take the pressure off yourself to get a mark of X. Just focus on doing well, in general. I think much of your unhappiness is probably coming from a fear of not meeting your expectations - So try to separate from that for a bit. Goals are good, they're great actually, but when they become a source of anxiety they stop serving their purpose as a motivator. At that point you just put them at the back of your mind, try and forget about them, and focus purely on "Yep, I want to work hard to do well, let's see what I can do to make that happen."

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2018, 04:57:25 pm »
Hey!

First bit of advice is probably strange - Don't attach too much importance to Coop! Yes, cool opportunity, yes, amazing if you get it. But there's nothing Coop gives you that you can't get elsewhere. Industry training is out there if you hunt for it, money is also out there (and by the time you do your industry training, it actually makes more sense not to do Coop if you are purely counting dollars). Essentially, it's an awesome opportunity, but many more opportunities will come knocking even if this one skips over your door. There are plenty of opportunities I've needed to pass on because of my commitment to Coop. Don't treat it as more than it is ;D

That said, Coop is a good scholarship because they don't care so much about your ATAR once you are at the cut-off (I think I've even heard of people getting in below the cut-off?). Yes, definitely still do the application and give 100% in trying to get the scholarship, if it is what you want.

You need to take the pressure off yourself to get a mark of X. Just focus on doing well, in general. I think much of your unhappiness is probably coming from a fear of not meeting your expectations - So try to separate from that for a bit. Goals are good, they're great actually, but when they become a source of anxiety they stop serving their purpose as a motivator. At that point you just put them at the back of your mind, try and forget about them, and focus purely on "Yep, I want to work hard to do well, let's see what I can do to make that happen."

Thanks Jamon!

That really put things into perspective. I was under the impression that if I didn't get the Co-Op I would be at a huge disadvantage. It is good to know that there are other opportunities out there. That being said, I am still going to apply.

As for the pressure thing, you are right. I need to stop putting so much pressure on myself to get a certain mark. It's hard for me to keep things in perspective. Right now, my ATAR seems like the be all and end all of all my successes hence why I get anxious a lot

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2018, 06:56:30 pm »
+1
Thanks Jamon!

That really put things into perspective. I was under the impression that if I didn't get the Co-Op I would be at a huge disadvantage. It is good to know that there are other opportunities out there. That being said, I am still going to apply.

Definitely still apply! As I said, it is an amazing opportunity. But it is one of many ;D

As for the pressure thing, you are right. I need to stop putting so much pressure on myself to get a certain mark. It's hard for me to keep things in perspective. Right now, my ATAR seems like the be all and end all of all my successes hence why I get anxious a lot

So many students feel the exact same way. All I can say is that that's absolutely untrue - Believe it or not, you won't give a crap about your ATAR a few months after you've gotten it, however it goes. Succesful people work hard, they don't necessarily get the top ATAR - It's not a great measure of 'you' ;D

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2018, 07:57:04 pm »
Hey!

Do you know there is any way you can withdraw your application?
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW