Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:49:13 am

Author Topic: I received a 99+ ATAR and a perfect GPA - ask me anything.  (Read 92515 times)  Share 

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: I received a 99+ ATAR - ask me anything.
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 03:00:40 pm »
+1
Depends - what's the context?
If the duck was in a cyclone (cruel, I know). Was asked this one recently and I thought it'd be interesting to reuse it! :P
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 03:09:14 pm »
+3
What was your goal ATAR during VCE and were you surprised with a 99.65? What SS were you aiming for in Business Management and do you have any tips on how to score well in this subject?

I didn't really have a goal ATAR, to be honest - I just wanted to score as highly as I could. At the start of Year 11 I probably would have been happy enough with 80.00+; as I gained confident throughout VCE, what I thought I could achieve became higher. Come results day I probably would have been disappointed with anything below high-ish 90s.

Was I surprised with a 99.65? Yeah, for sure. It's really hard to know what you're going to get, even come the morning of results day. In my year, the Herald Sun leaked all of the 40+ scores at like 2.00am on results day. All of my scores happened to be 40+, so I plugged them into ATAR Calc and was just like, "are you serious?!". ATAR Calc predicted 99.55 or something, so I was even happier with 99.65!

Re: BusMan:

At the start of the year, I was aiming for a raw 40. It was my first 3/4 subject (Year 11), so I honestly had no idea what to expect. I never thought I'd get 45+; getting a 48 really gave me a lot of confidence going into Year 12, because I knew I could do it.

In terms of tips:

* I had a few different notebooks. One was for in-class notes, which were usually pretty messy. One was for the summaries that I mentioned earlier. This summary book also acted as a really good source of SAC (and later exam) revision. And then I had a third notebook exclusively for doing practice questions, and marking those practice questions.
* If possible, I'd try to work with your teacher really closely on exam answer structure. I think this separates a lot of good exams from really good exams.
* Try to link the content as much as possible to your own life. If you work, awesome - a lot of the content will be relevant for you. If you don't work, imagine you did. Seriously, just imagine you worked at KFC or something, and try to link the content to those examples. I reckon that'd make things easier in terms of remembering all of the content.

From what I can see, you're in a similar position to what I was - BusMan as your first 3/4 subject, and in Year 11. How are you finding it?

If the duck was in a cyclone (cruel, I know). Was asked this one recently and I thought it'd be interesting to reuse it! :P

If the duck was in a cyclone? I'm backing the cyclone haha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

accountingpro

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 03:19:30 pm »
+1
I'm in year 11 doing busman 3/4. Any tips?

Also don't really know your personality or social interests  but did you still have a 'life' while grinding out VCE in year 12?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 03:26:01 pm »
I'm in year 11 doing busman 3/4. Any tips?

Also don't really know your personality or social interests  but did you still have a 'life' while grinding out VCE in year 12?

Hey accountingpro! Welcome to ATAR Notes. :)

I've just listed some general tips for Business Management here, but let me know if you want something more specific, or tips on various areas of study. If you have questions about BusMan content, I'd suggest asking them in this thread. There are lots of past and current BusMan students happy to help there - including the ATAR Notes Business lecturer. ;)

But yeah, let me know. Nice work on doing the 3/4 subject in Year 11. How are you finding it? What subjects are you thinking of taking next year?

In terms of "having a life", yeah, I definitely did. Honestly, not that much changed for me. As I mentioned in a previous response, I still had a lot of time off just chilling, I would have continued playing sport if not for injury, and I was working casually at the time. I don't go out or party much just by personality, so I didn't really have to cut back there, either.

Balance is a big thing in Year 12. :)

accountingpro

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 03:30:21 pm »
+1
Hey accountingpro! Welcome to ATAR Notes. :)

I've just listed some general tips for Business Management here, but let me know if you want something more specific, or tips on various areas of study. If you have questions about BusMan content, I'd suggest asking them in this thread. There are lots of past and current BusMan students happy to help there - including the ATAR Notes Business lecturer. ;)

But yeah, let me know. Nice work on doing the 3/4 subject in Year 11. How are you finding it? What subjects are you thinking of taking next year?

In terms of "having a life", yeah, I definitely did. Honestly, not that much changed for me. As I mentioned in a previous response, I still had a lot of time off just chilling, I would have continued playing sport if not for injury, and I was working casually at the time. I don't go out or party much just by personality, so I didn't really have to cut back there, either.

Balance is a big thing in Year 12. :)

Thanks for the reply!

I really enjoy bus man so far. Got 93% on my first sac which could be better but I realised where I went wrong and am confident in not making the same mistake again.

Next year I'm doing: Spesh, methods, physics, english and possibly accounting (which I really don't enjoy, hence my name, but I had no other options, might do UMEP or something)

That's reassuring about the free time thing, wouldn't wanna miss out on the parties lol.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 03:31:36 pm »
1. Top 10 favourite songs at this very moment?

2. Are you still persisting with the whole use-a-teabag-more-than-once thing?

3. Would you rather a strange donut, or a stranger's donut?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 03:37:40 pm »
+1
Thanks for the reply!

I really enjoy bus man so far. Got 93% on my first sac which could be better but I realised where I went wrong and am confident in not making the same mistake again.

Next year I'm doing: Spesh, methods, physics, english and possibly accounting (which I really don't enjoy, hence my name, but I had no other options, might do UMEP or something)

That's reassuring about the free time thing, wouldn't wanna miss out on the parties lol.

No worries!

Congrats on your first SAC mark - that's awesome. :) Making those mistakes now is actually really valuable if it means you won't make the same ones in the exam at the end of the year.

Nice subject split. I honestly would have guessed that you enjoyed Accounting based on your name and the fact that you're doing BusMan at the moment haha. Well played.

The time thing - yeah, honestly, it'll be sweet. I don't know of many people who didn't go to parties they wanted to go to due to Year 12. Obviously it changes from person to person, but going to parties here and there shouldn't impact you too much if you're using your time well in other periods. :)

1. Top 10 favourite songs at this very moment?

2. Are you still persisting with the whole use-a-teabag-more-than-once thing?

3. Would you rather a strange donut, or a stranger's donut?

1. Eh. This is very tricky - honestly, this is just a random selection of general favourites, because it changes day to day:
* I Wish I Was - The Avett Brothers
* Miles From Nowhere - Yusuf / Cat Stevens
* Let Me Down Easy - Gang of Youths
* 1972 - Josh Rouse
* Pirate Looks at 40 - Jack Johnson
* I Wanna Get Better - Bleachers
* Europe - Allo Darlin'
* The Devil's Tears - Angus & Julia Stone
* Don't Swallow the Cap - The National
* Bruised - Orla Gartland

2. I sure am! I'm currently drinking tea - it's probably my fourth or fifth using this same teabag.

3. Hmm. I'll go with the strange donut, I think. I needn't eat it.

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 04:14:40 pm »
+1
Hey Joseph41!
Congrats!!

Could I just ask you, did you get 100%s for all your SACs or like really really high 90s? - to get that 50 or 48?
How did you average in Unit 3 and 4 Eng Lang? (if you don't mind sharing :)

My school's SACs are super hard for some subjects especially, so it makes me worry sometimes.

Thank you so much for starting this thread! - it's a great one!

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 04:27:47 pm »
+2
Hey Joseph41!
Congrats!!

Could I just ask you, did you get 100%s for all your SACs or like really really high 90s? - to get that 50 or 48?
How did you average in Unit 3 and 4 Eng Lang? (if you don't mind sharing :)

My school's SACs are super hard for some subjects especially, so it makes me worry sometimes.

Thank you so much for starting this thread! - it's a great one!

Cheers haha.

Definitely didn't get 100% on all of my SACs. People get 99+ ATARs having never got 100% on a SAC. The raw marks aren't really that meaningful; what matters more is your ranking in your cohort. It's honestly not worth investing much if any time into understanding the technical aspects of VCE (or HSC if you're from New South Wales), but if you are interested, here are some threads that might interest you:
* Victoria: {SAC RANKINGS} - All you need to know about it
* New South Wales: From assignment to ATAR: how your marks are calculated

I wish I kept a record of my SAC scores to better demonstrate this point, but I didn't. But yeah, certainly didn't get 100% for all SACs - and you don't need to.

EngLang specifically? Hmm. I reckon I would have averaged 80-90% across all SACs, but that's pushing my memory a little. Of course, this doesn't mean anything. Having a higher or lower SAC average than your friends really makes no difference unless they're in the same cohort as you. After all, the SACs I sit could be really easy whilst the SACs you sit could be really hard, or vice versa. That's why the system is the way that it is - to account for these differences.

In regard to your particular situation, I know it's difficult, but I'd honestly try not to worry about it too much. VCAA will make an adjustment if it deems your school's SACs to be difficult. If anything, it puts you in a great position, because you'll be well-equipped come the exam(s). :)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 05:04:01 pm »
+5
2. I sure am! I'm currently drinking tea - it's probably my fourth or fifth using this same teabag.
That is soooooooo wrong.

Follow up question: why do you think it's acceptable to do such things, and how did you stray so far from God?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 05:05:06 pm »
That is soooooooo wrong.

Follow up question: why do you think it's acceptable to do such things, and how did you stray so far from God?

I see nothing wrong with re-using teabags. I'm now onto probably my seventh or eighth.

>em<

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 05:16:58 pm »
+1
Hey!
just some questions about further maths...
1. Do you have any study tips that you found really helpful?
2. Did you do a theory book, and if so how did you do it and what sort of layout do you recommend?
3. If you don't mind sharing, what were your average SAC and exam marks (if you can remember :) )

Thank-you!

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 06:27:22 pm »
+1
1. Do you miss university (or certain aspects of it)?

2. Excited for the start of the AFL season? How do you think Melbourne's shaping up?

3. How long as it taken you to write out such detailed replies in this thread? :o

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 07:08:02 pm »
+5
I see nothing wrong with re-using teabags. I'm now onto probably my seventh or eighth.
But like, the tea just isn't enjoyable that way. Teabags are designed for only one use. After that, they make sub-par tea. You might as well be drinking hot water. It's an insult to good cups of tea all over the world

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 08:31:56 pm »
+1

Dude... I can deal with maybe three re-uses, but eight is just wrong...
(was thinking of down-voting this quote but decided that I would show more humanity than you and your tea.)

What did you do to unwind in year 12 without wasting time? Is that even possible?
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating